ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

so now,Wedsday,Huricane Florence is cat.4!And beside Bermuda entire east coast south of Boston could be affected.What will happen,anyone got good idea because I sure don't.

North......my bet is going north. In a perfect world NCL would cancel the cruise, give us a full refund and will do a 7 day cruise out of Miami in October! In fact I'm already looking at cruises Lol

Cruise lines can’t win. If they don’t go because of weather and change their itinerary, people want compensation. If they cruise in bad weather like last year, people complain and want compensation. I’m glad I don’t work in a customer service related job, since I would be one jaded bitter person. Also, news alert if the cruise goes north it is still hot up here and we have beaches too.

So,is it North if Florence keeps misbehaving?I am singing",Oh Canada" to bring us good luck!Frankly,I could be at dock tied up for seven days as long as meals were cooked and bed by someelse than me.

Don't know what's going to happen; we'll all have to wait to see where Florence heads, its' strength, etc. and await NCL's decision which I do not know if it will be 'later rather than 'sooner also.

Some have mentioned the Canada and New England alternate itinerary. Took a look at it. Hope not (from New England) as really pulling for a good break on Florence and we still make Bermuda.

attachment.php?attachmentid=427904&d=1536236895

As i knew we booked when in hurricane season, it was the only time of the year that permitted me to go at this time. Bermuda is on my bucket list and was so looking forward to getting there. Been the New england route two times and really can not stand the thought of putting my money towards seeing it again. Please Florence go out to sea and give me some luck once in my life. Luck is something i do not have.

I don't necessarily care where we end up going (leaving Sunday out of NYC to Bermuda - not looking good!) but it would be nice if NCL could do us a solid and give us a head's up if we are heading North to Canada BEFORE Sunday when we board. We are packing for warm weather... the extended forecast for Halifax, NS is 60's and rain.

North......my bet is going north. In a perfect world NCL would cancel the cruise, give us a full refund and will do a 7 day cruise out of Miami in October! In fact I'm already looking at cruises Lol

Hey Laszlo....come and join us on the 14 Day Escape Southern Cruise on January 20th. (Although I think it is very close to being sold out) Hurricanes shouldn't be an issue....but maybe Nor'Easter Blizzards leaving could be! ;)

Well I just checked the National Hurricane site and looking at the current data it appears Florence has shifted slightly south west and go over some part of Bermuda and if continues on that path ( iffy) it would go towards the US coast line. Looks like late Tuesday and Wednesday for the brunt of the storm to hit Bermuda and the Escape is due in to bermuda on Wednesday morning. So it's looking less likely that we will visit Bermuda based on the current outlook. So if we don't go to Bermuda, can the ship make it down the coast safely to a southern destination before Florence affects the ocean? Is it worth trying? What if the storm quickens and we are heading down and then get caught? So right now it is more possible that we may go north to new England. When packing for the cruise you might want to include a sweatshirt , sweater or light jacket since New England nights are cool at times. Personally I am not in favor of a New England cruise as I have already done that and two people in our group of six are from Massachusetts. I also have a Florida vacation booked next month so not interested in that Florida, Nassau cruise either. But more importantly we need to have a safe enjoyable trip and that should be the main consideration going forward.

$100 of shipboard credit each. That's the reason I spent eighteen months going back and forth with their customer service department about.

Did you have their travel insurance? I honestly have no interest in going to Nassau. Did they refund port charges, as Bermuda has very high fees.

Depending on the size of this Cat-3 storm and its path, the Atlantic/East Coast can expect to get wind, rain and rough seas & high surf, etc.

A run down the coast instead of Bermuda for Florida/Nassau might not be a wise move either - a matter of timing based on real-time weather & navigational forecast ... within that 24 to 72 hours path/timeline.

Ports up New England/Canada might be fully booked & occupied already by other ships scheduled to call upon for Fall foilage ... not leaving much room for more ships to pull in. Tendering isn't going to be easy nor fun for mega-ships like the Escape, etc.

Regardless, pack one's own favorite/preferred motion sickness Rx and take along at least 4 to 7 days of extra personal medications, plus the usual personal OTC meds. Returning to the ship's home port can be a challenge, look at the NHC charts, there is another storm about 2 or 3 days behind Florence - could be aiming at the Carribean & Bahamas sometime next week. These are peak weeks during the hurricane season - always advisable to have a good trip interruption/travel insurance protection.

Safe travel !

I agree with all that you stated. Its going to be a tough call as to where we wind up based on a lot of factors. It might be better to judge by say Saturday when we have updated current information. Who know e could end going to Florida and then loop back behind the storm and visit Bermuda for 1.5 days. Anything is possible. Just don't put us in strong winds and 40 foot seas!

Throw in a sweatshirt and flannel just in case you go north. I have more than a hunch this is the second option after Bermuda for the Pride. I've heard no reliable rumors for the Escape which I'll be on.

I'm headed out of Baltimore on the 9th to Bermuda too. Looks like the same concerns. Our ship is due to dock in Bermuda on the 12th (same day forecasts have Florence hitting Bermuda).

I have never been there because the cost is a lot higher than going to other places like the Bahamas etc. I even splurged for a balcony room. I have been so looking forward to this trip for the last 9 months.

from what everyone is saying, they will more than likely head south as Florence is headed north west. I just hope like heck that we don't go to New England as everything in my suitcase is beach wear!

Our local news in NYC said it's looking like it will hit Bermuda and then curve back north before hitting the East Coast.

So you might land up doing the nassau run.

It's going to be rough either way. So if you get seasick, pack your meds

Pack jeans and sweatshirts just in case. And a raincoat/windbreaker

October of 2016 we were booked to sail to Bermuda with Hurricane Nicole nearing the island. We boarded at regular time, had our muster drill, then we were told that "Bermuda was not an option". So we overnighted in New York and sailed out at about 8 in the morning to Cape Canaveral and a 6 hour stop in Nassau.

Now see, this is the very itinerary I do not want. We, too, are scheduled to sail out on Sunday. We are supposed to arrive on Wednesday and the storm is supposed to hit Bermuda on Tuesday (unless it turns). So not a good scenario it seems. We would really prefer NOT to go to Nassau and CC -- been there way too many times and certainly not worth the costs of this cruise for us. Also, if the storm turns toward the East Coast as they are predicting, they may not be able to sail south anyway, right?

And while I love cruising, I don't want to be stuck on the ship for 7 days and do nothing else. We've sailed through 3 hurricanes in the past, but we were already onboard and headed to the Caribbean (one in the Pacific) so they just changed some of the ports. But I've never been in this situation where you don't know what's happening before you board.

Do they return your port fees or compensate you in any way for not going on the high end itinerary? Just wondering.

NCL said you could leave the ship with a full refund if you don't like the changed itinerary, and that would be the one itinerary I don't want. I am hoping they go north to New England/Canada. That would be a great alternative.

BTW, a PP mentioned GSC. What is that?