ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

Now that we are going to Great Stirrup Cay as part of the new agenda, can someone advise about this island. I understand we tender. There is a buffet on the island. Is this an extra charge or included in the price of the cruise? There are bars on the island. Is there a separate charge for drinks or is it covered under the beverage package?

Steve

Our weatherman today said that September 12 is the peak of hurricane season. For what that's worth. I too am cruising mid October in the Eastern Caribbean and hope the hurricanes stay away!

We got our notifications from NCL -- they are changing the itinerary to the very one we didn't want: PC, Nassau and their island. My friend who was travelling with us said they did this itinerary last year and it was awful -- and the waters were too rough to even tender into their island!

I'm on hold with them now to see what our alternatives are -- the cruise costs way above what that itinerary is worth! We all feel they may have jumped the gun a little by deciding today -- especially since some models are now saying it's going to turn.

Here's the wording in the email we got at 4 p.m.: (sorry, the itinerary didn't transfer so well)

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority. We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Florence, and because the projected path shows the storm moving towards Bermuda, Norwegian Escape's itinerary for the September 9, 2018 sailing will be changed from a 7-day Bermuda to a 7-day Bahamas & Florida sailing.

Please see below for the ship's revised itinerary:

OriginalDayDestinationArriveDepartSunNew York City, New York, Us4:00 pmMonAt SeaTueAt SeaWedRoyal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda8:00 amOvernightThuRoyal Naval Dockyard, BermudaOvernightOvernightFriRoyal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda3:00 pmSatAt SeaSunNew York City, New York, Us7:00 am

RevisedDayDestinationArriveDepartSunNew York City, New York, Us4:00 pmMonAt SeaTueAt SeaWedPort Canaveral, Florida1:00 pm9:00 pmThuGreat Stirrup Cay, Bahamas10:00 am6:00 pmFriNassau, Bahamas8:00 am6:00 pmSatAt SeaSunNew York City, New York, Us7:00 am

If you booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for any of the ports of call on your original itinerary, your reservations will be automatically cancelled and a refund will be issued to the form of payment used. Tours for the new itinerary will be available once onboard.

We appreciate your understanding and hope that your cruise aboard Norwegian Escape is enjoyable and memorable.

Sincerely,

cid:Sig1@nclmiami.com

Vivian Ewart

Senior Vice President, Passenger Services

Now that we are going to Great Stirrup Cay as part of the new agenda, can someone advise about this island. I understand we tender. There is a buffet on the island. Is this an extra charge or included in the price of the cruise? There are bars on the island. Is there a separate charge for drinks or is it covered under the beverage package?

Steve

Yes, you tender to the GSC. Very easy process.

GSC is totally owned by Norwegian so the buffet is included in the price of the cruise. Drinks are covered under the various drink packages.

Its that time of year in September where hurricanes and storms always churn the waters in the Atlantic. Don't book a cruise during hurricane season if you refuse to be diverted. NCL like all lines will not cancel the cruise nor will they refund passengers. They will stay clear of the hurricane and make the best of it. You are on vacation and waited for a long time for this moment. Don't let mother nature rob you of your vacation.

Sorry, but this is not the vacation we booked. We are not interested in the ports, or travelling toward the south in rough seas, or heading to Florida when in the north it's been in the 100's the last three days! I've been on hold and am going to push for either a refund or credit to another cruise. My vacation's already ruined anyway as the couple we were traveing with don't want to go either on this itinerary as they just did it last year and hated it,

What I don't understand is them heading south with the possibility of these storms forming while down there and creating problems for returning home.

I'll post when I get answers (UGH)

This itinerary isn’t awful, it is what the Escape does all winter. I booked it on the Breakaway in March and booked it again next March. It gives you lots of time to enjoy the ship, and GSC is wonderful assuming you can tender. If you go with the attitude it is awful, you are sure to have a bad time. Thousands of people do that itinerary every year and come back for more. Sadly NY is to far north to hit any other ports for a seven day cruise.

I actually agree with you. The ride down when we get close to the Carolinas will most likely be rough. The hurricane should be in line with those states but still out at sea. That will cause rather big waves. I paid for three cabins ( a little over $9,000 ) because my family is all going and they wanted to go to Bermuda. Of course the weather is not the fault of NCL and they are trying to keep safety as their main priority. But even this itinerary is subject to being thrust into issues coming back. Storm(s) behind Florence could also affect our return trip home. There is a potential for this cruise to be mostly on the ship through rough weather going and coming. I hope this is not the case and we somehow luck out but if not and we are subjected to conditions that are not vacation like we should be prepared to pressure NCL for give backs of some sort depending on what we encounter.

I actually agree with you. The ride down when we get close to the Carolinas will most likely be rough. The hurricane should be in line with those states but still out at sea. That will cause rather big waves. I paid for three cabins ( a little over $9,000 ) because my family is all going and they wanted to go to Bermuda. Of course the weather is not the fault of NCL and they are trying to keep safety as their main priority. But even this itinerary is subject to being thrust into issues coming back. Storm(s) behind Florence could also affect our return trip home. There is a potential for this cruise to be mostly on the ship through rough weather going and coming. I hope this is not the case and we somehow luck out but if not and we are subjected to conditions that are not vacation like we should be prepared to pressure NCL for give backs of some sort depending on what we encounter.

That seems a bit odd when you say "Of course the weather is not the fault of NCL and they are trying to keep safety as their main priority" and you follow it up with "we should be prepared to pressure NCL for give backs of some sort depending on what we encounter"

Maybe I'm reading that wrong? :confused:

Sorry, but this is not the vacation we booked. We are not interested in the ports, or travelling toward the south in rough seas, or heading to Florida when in the north it's been in the 100's the last three days! I've been on hold and am going to push for either a refund or credit to another cruise. My vacation's already ruined anyway as the couple we were traveing with don't want to go either on this itinerary as they just did it last year and hated it,

What I don't understand is them heading south with the possibility of these storms forming while down there and creating problems for returning home.

I'll post when I get answers (UGH)

Yea.......Good luck with that refund or credit for another cruise. Thats not happening, if you purchased cancel for any reason insurance you would be fine. Read the fine print.......NCL could literally go out to sea and sail around in circles for 7 days

On this cruise as well and, like most, am disappointed that the plans have changed, but I knew that was a risk when I signed up for it. We'll make the best of it, but will avoid hurricane season from now on (first time burned). That said, I pulled up some NOAA sea models and I think NCL made the best decision they could. Leaving on Sunday we should be able to stay close to the south on Monday and Tuesday (when model wave heights are roughly 10-15ft). The models show the big waves coming in the mid atlantic/NE Tues night/wed morning peaking Friday and dying down quickly Sat (I should note those models assume Florence will pass just south of Bermuda and then crash in the east coast sometime Friday.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but all the ocean models through next Thursday show 10-15ft seas in the FL/Bahamas area.

To clarify what I meant to say is I understand that NCL is trying to maintain safety but the new ports advised today could be in harms way as well. If we do encounter trouble than NCL should step up and offer the passengers credit towards their next cruise.

This itinerary isn’t awful, it is what the Escape does all winter. I booked it on the Breakaway in March and booked it again next March. It gives you lots of time to enjoy the ship, and GSC is wonderful assuming you can tender. If you go with the attitude it is awful, you are sure to have a bad time. Thousands of people do that itinerary every year and come back for more. Sadly NY is to far north to hit any other ports for a seven day cruise.

Good for them that they liked it so much, but we didn't choose this itinerary. It's not the itinerary I care to experience again -- hated it the first time. I know NCL has to make the best decision, but what we are unhappy about is they are not comping anything. The Bermuda sailing was high priced, but the sailing with this itinerary is $300/pp less We've actually sailed through three hurricanes and the other lines treated us way better than this -- comping missed ports, offering drinks, free specialty dining, store credit, etc.

Lesson learned -- NCL is our least favorite cruise line, only use it for Bermuda. Now we won't use them at all.

Oh, and talk about organized -- two hours after the email was sent to us I called and when I finally got an agent, she was unaware of this situation and had to call another department to find out what was going on. So they didn't even inform their staff before informing us.

To clarify what I meant to say is I understand that NCL is trying to maintain safety but the new ports advised today could be in harms way as well. If we do encounter trouble than NCL should step up and offer the passengers credit towards their next cruise.

Respectfully disagree. I highly doubt (from past experiences) you will get anything. To be honest, they don't owe the passengers anything. It's just the chances you take during prime hurricane season.

Having said that I hope it turns out surprisingly well and everyone has a great cruise (to wherever).

Sorry, but this is not the vacation we booked. We are not interested in the ports, or travelling toward the south in rough seas, or heading to Florida when in the north it's been in the 100's the last three days! I've been on hold and am going to push for either a refund or credit to another cruise. My vacation's already ruined anyway as the couple we were traveing with don't want to go either on this itinerary as they just did it last year and hated it. What I don't understand is them heading south with the possibility of these storms forming while down there and creating problems for returning home. I'll post when I get answers (UGH)
Good for them that they liked it so much, but we didn't choose this itinerary. It's not the itinerary I care to experience again -- hated it the first time. I know NCL has to make the best decision, but what we are unhappy about is they are not comping anything. The Bermuda sailing was high priced, but the sailing with this itinerary is $300/pp less We've actually sailed through three hurricanes and the other lines treated us way better than this -- comping missed ports, offering drinks, free specialty dining, store credit, etc.

But, this is the contract you signed:

© Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct themovements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vesselsin all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including,without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at anyunscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any timebefore, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertisedport; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so;substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to theGuest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

Have you looked at the forecast? The new ports are no where near in harms way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fought with them for eighteen months when this happened in October 2016. I'm preparing for another long fight because I'm not happy about going back to Florida and the Bahamas again.

I understand that the weather isn't under their control but they do have the ability to offer a comparable cruise instead of a bottom of the barrel itinerary that isn't worth half of what we paid to go to Bermuda. If they said we were heading to NE and Canada I'd be disappointed but also excited to experience something new, going back to FL and the Bahamas is a slap in the face.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

I fought with them for eighteen months when this happened in October 2016. I'm preparing for another long fight because I'm not happy about going back to Florida and the Bahamas again.

You really might want to consider sailing earlier in the year, outside of "the season". Hope it works out for you and everyone else.

I understand that the weather isn't under their control but they do have the ability to offer a comparable cruise instead of a bottom of the barrel itinerary that isn't worth half of what we paid to go to Bermuda. If they said we were heading to NE and Canada I'd be disappointed but also excited to experience something new, going back to FL and the Bahamas is a slap in the face.

I shouldn't have to point this out........But did you ever think their are some people who are glad they are going to FL and the Bahamas because they already have been to New England? We were just in Bar Harbor in June, going back would have been a slap in the face

I told my doctor "Hey, Doc....it hurts when I do this". He said "Don't do that then".

Sorry, just trying lighten the mood. I understand the frustration.

What I don't understand is them heading south with the possibility of these storms forming while down there and creating problems for returning home. ...

I know it's frustrating. But there will be a safe window to return to NYC after Florence and before any following storms. It may not be exactly on the 7 day schedule, but there is a big enough distance between them.