ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

Good for them that they liked it so much, but we didn't choose this itinerary. It's not the itinerary I care to experience again -- hated it the first time. I know NCL has to make the best decision, but what we are unhappy about is they are not comping anything. The Bermuda sailing was high priced, but the sailing with this itinerary is $300/pp less We've actually sailed through three hurricanes and the other lines treated us way better than this -- comping missed ports, offering drinks, free specialty dining, store credit, etc.

Lesson learned -- NCL is our least favorite cruise line, only use it for Bermuda. Now we won't use them at all.

Oh, and talk about organized -- two hours after the email was sent to us I called and when I finally got an agent, she was unaware of this situation and had to call another department to find out what was going on. So they didn't even inform their staff before informing us.

I understand the frustration, but you do realize this risk was priced into this cruise in the first place, right? There is a reason the Sept/Oct Bermuda runs are cheaper than the May/June (before the kids get out of school). Again, I get it, our suite is $5K more than what it costs for the FL/Bahamas, but I knew the risk when I accepted the terms of the contract. We're going and will make the best of it . . . a day in shorts on a boat beats a day in a suit in an office any day!

People complaining about them moving the cruise is amazngly entitled attitude to have

There is a hurricane

They are keeping us safe

Deal with it

Enjoy the cruise your getting and chill

Seriously, your ONE post is to insult people on this 8-page thread who are expressing their frustration for spending money on ports we never had interest in? Sad

I decided to book the Escape to Bermuda for mid-October, knowing full well that the height of hurricane season could be a factor. I decided that as long as I am on a cruise ship, I will be happy! I have the UBP, so I am good to go wherever! :p

I will probably be tracking storm activity as we get closer all the same. I am an information junkie.

Me too! The weatherman in our home town said that September 12 is the peak of hurricane season. Not sure when the season ends.

Good luck and stay safe everyone!

I understand the frustration, but you do realize this risk was priced into this cruise in the first place, right? There is a reason the Sept/Oct Bermuda runs are cheaper than the May/June (before the kids get out of school). Again, I get it, our suite is $5K more than what it costs for the FL/Bahamas, but I knew the risk when I accepted the terms of the contract. We're going and will make the best of it . . . a day in shorts on a boat beats a day in a suit in an office any day!

Honestly, this cruise was NOT cheaper. We sailed in 2016 in October to Bermuda and this cruise costs us almost $1,000 more! So we got no "cheaper" benefit by picking September. We picked this date because it was when the other couple saiing with us could go. That is why I said that for the amount we spent on this to go to Bermuda is nowhere close to what the new ports are worth. It is what it is and our friends want to go just to cruise with us, but we all expressed concern for rough seas since my husband and my girlfriend have mobility issues.

We shall see.........husband commented that if they get toward Nassau and find out they can't go there because of storms and turn around, then I'm sure the roof will fly off with complaints. Time will tell.........and yes, what a PP said -- maybe enough Haven passengers will cancel so we can get an upgrade! ;)

Honestly, this cruise was NOT cheaper. We sailed in 2016 in October to Bermuda and this cruise costs us almost $1,000 more! So we got no "cheaper" benefit by picking September. We picked this date because it was when the other couple saiing with us could go. That is why I said that for the amount we spent on this to go to Bermuda is nowhere close to what the new ports are worth. It is what it is and our friends want to go just to cruise with us, but we all expressed concern for rough seas since my husband and my girlfriend have mobility issues.

We shall see.........husband commented that if they get toward Nassau and find out they can't go there because of storms and turn around, then I'm sure the roof will fly off with complaints. Time will tell.........and yes, what a PP said -- maybe enough Haven passengers will cancel so we can get an upgrade! ;)

Bermuda sailing are more expensive in general no matter when you are sailing so I get the rationale of the price difference between it and the Flordia - Bahamas sailings. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing when the weather will affect a sailing since bookings generally tend to be made months in advance. While I would be disappointed in not sailing to Bermuda I would be happy that I was still going on a warm weather cruise rather than up to Canada and much cooler temps or not being able to sail at all.

MARAPRINCE

I guess I should not have assumed our booking experience was the same as the rest of the cabins, my apologies. For us the DOS were $5-8K more for May-August then for Sept/Oct. We actually joked that was because we'd probably be dodging hurricanes! Like I said, totally get the frustration, but we'll be keeping our DOS for this weekend and make the best of it.

Seriously, your ONE post is to insult people on this 8-page thread who are expressing their frustration for spending money on ports we never had interest in? Sad

Seriously

You knew the rules signing up or at least you should have if you paid attention

Deal with it

I fought with them for eighteen months when this happened in October 2016. I'm preparing for another long fight because I'm not happy about going back to Florida and the Bahamas again.

I understand that the weather isn't under their control but they do have the ability to offer a comparable cruise instead of a bottom of the barrel itinerary that isn't worth half of what we paid to go to Bermuda. If they said we were heading to NE and Canada I'd be disappointed but also excited to experience something new, going back to FL and the Bahamas is a slap in the face.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

I couldn’t agree with you more! They haven’t heard the last of me. I was offered to switch to one of two other weeks, but only for the Florida itinerary. If they are willing to switch weeks, why won’t they switch for another Bermuda week? This is the worst itinerary they offer!!!

I fought with them for eighteen months when this happened in October 2016. I'm preparing for another long fight because I'm not happy about going back to Florida and the Bahamas again.

I understand that the weather isn't under their control but they do have the ability to offer a comparable cruise instead of a bottom of the barrel itinerary that isn't worth half of what we paid to go to Bermuda. If they said we were heading to NE and Canada I'd be disappointed but also excited to experience something new, going back to FL and the Bahamas is a slap in the face.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Forums mobile app

7 day Cruises to Bermuda that depart from NE only have two viable alternatives. North to NE/Canada or South to Fla/Bahamas. Based on the possible path of this storm South appears to be the safest alternative. Winter cruises there are no alternatives. Ships from NYC can only go south. If there is a N'or Easter or other major storm in the way they usually still head south. .Trying to stay as far away from the worst of the storm as possible. I cruise out of NYC every Winter and have been through some really rough seas. Including last NYE on Breakaway (Grayson) and that dreaded Feb. cruise on Anthem of the Seas. Trust me it is no fun sailing near a major storm..Bon Voyage and safe travels .

Have you looked at the forecast? The new ports are no where near in harms way.

I hope you turn out to be correct but on the way down both Florida and the Bahamas will be affected by wave heights and wind from Florence. Just because it is not in the projected path does not mean the storm will not have any affect. GSC is in jeopardy of being canceled because of tendering if the forecast holds.

Not trying to be a complainer as I usually am not like that but spending over $9,000 on 3 cabins and not going to Bermuda and now going to Florida and the Bahamas just stinks. Even more so since I booked a week vacation in Florida in the middle of October already.

I feel for people who booked a cruise to Bermuda and is now diverted to Florida and subsequent "Ports". Not apples to apples and not what paid for. NCL does have the upper hand. I always take Travel Insurance which includes "Cancel for Work Reasons". Depending on your policy and documentation from your workplace, you can get 100%. Just saying...

These boards have become so rude. People literally sit on here all day since they have nothing better to do. Basically, these people are cyber-bullying which we try to protect our children from. They hide behind their keyboards and fire off! Lame! And these are adults? Crazy!

Anyway...I hope all works out for people facing Florence. I also hope these boards can regain some integrity...

JMO

Have you looked at the forecast? The new ports are no where near in harms way.

I hope you turn out to be correct but on the way down both Florida and the Bahamas will be affected by wave heights and wind from Florence. Just because it is not in the projected path does not mean the storm will not have any affect. GSC is in jeopardy of being canceled because of tendering if the forecast holds.

Not trying to be a complainer as I usually am not like that but spending over $9,000 on 3 cabins and not going to Bermuda and now going to Florida and the Bahamas just stinks. Even more so since I booked a week vacation in Florida in the middle of October already.

If you go to the NOAA site you can see the sea/wave model runs for next week . . . no worse that 10-15ft for the southern route to FL (mid atlantic wave heights get MUCH worse on Wed-Fri as the storm approaches the East coast). In fact once in FL the wave heights decrease to 5-10ft. I think that is why they went south and not north .. mid atlantic and NE will be very rough Wed through Friday with 30+ ft seas . . . would have made NE/Canada difficult.

Their plan appears obvious, hug the coast on the way out to beat the storm south, cruise down there for a few days while the storm makes its hardest and closest US approach Wed-Fri. The seas might be a little rough on Sat coming back (says 15-20 ft in the mid atlantic area), but nothing like what they will be Wed-Fri. I'm not happy about this change either, but it looks like they made the safest choice.

I feel for people who booked a cruise to Bermuda and is now diverted to Florida and subsequent "Ports". Not apples to apples and not what paid for. NCL does have the upper hand. I always take Travel Insurance which includes "Cancel for Work Reasons". Depending on your policy and documentation from your workplace, you can get 100%. Just saying...

These boards have become so rude. People literally sit on here all day since they have nothing better to do. Basically, these people are cyber-bullying which we try to protect our children from. They hide behind their keyboards and fire off! Lame! And these are adults? Crazy!

Anyway...I hope all works out for people facing Florence. I also hope these boards can regain some integrity...

JMO

Please don't fell bad for me. I am on this cruise and knew this was a risk and was aware what I was purchasing. I've done this route before and am not a fan, but I'll take 7 days on a cruise ship over work any day. We're going to have a great time.

It surprises me that experienced cruisers who have been rerouted from Bermuda during hurricane season choose to travel to Bermuda again during hurricane season...then complain about being rerouted. I booked this cruise knowing it was hurricane season, and knowing that we could get re-routed to either Florida/Nassau or Canada's/New England even though I have no desire to do either itinerary. But, no complaints from me; I knew what I was getting into. Sure, I'm disappointed but I did agree to the contract and NCL will not hear a peep out of me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People complaining about them moving the cruise is amazngly entitled attitude to have

There is a hurricane

They are keeping us safe

Deal with it

Enjoy the cruise your getting and chill

Seriously

You knew the rules signing up or at least you should have if you paid attention

Deal with it

Having empathy doesn't cost you anything in case you weren't aware.

We've planned and paid for two trips to Bermuda over the past nearly four years and had the rugged pulled out on us twice. I'm not upset that NCL made the change to the itinerary due to the weather, no one is saying they made the wrong call on that for safety reasons. I'm upset that we've paid a premium price, twice, to go to Bermuda and we've ended up in Florida and the Bahamas both times. I could have flown to Florida and paid 50% less to take a better cruise than what we're getting now.

I'm sorry you lack the empathy to understand why that may be disheartening to someone that has had two expensive (to me at least) trips substituted for cheap booze cruise alternatives.

Please don't fell bad for me. I am on this cruise and knew this was a risk and was aware what I was purchasing. I've done this route before and am not a fan, but I'll take 7 days on a cruise ship over work any day. We're going to have a great time.

Such a great attitude, and I agree I could cruise in circles and still have the time of my life! I know you’ll have a blast, especially in the DOS. The best vacations are the adventurous ones.

Did anyone get a second email showing the 2 sea days in a row on the back end of the cruise? My email has Monday - Tuesday Sea Days, Wed at PC. I saw someone posted on FB saying they received a second emailing saying we are in PC in Tuesday with Friday and Saturday sea days

I shouldn't have to point this out........But did you ever think their are some people who are glad they are going to FL and the Bahamas because they already have been to New England? We were just in Bar Harbor in June, going back would have been a slap in the face

Okay, buddy, because those two itineraries are apples to apples right? A niche itinerary to NE and Canada versus what is essentially a weekend booze cruise.

Did anyone get a second email showing the 2 sea days in a row on the back end of the cruise? My email has Monday - Tuesday Sea Days, Wed at PC. I saw someone posted on FB saying they received a second emailing saying we are in PC in Tuesday with Friday and Saturday sea days

Yes, I got that about an hour ago. Makes sense to me. Haul butt passed the carolinas before the storm effects the eastern seaboard then take the two days at the end to take it easy and give the seas time to settle back down.

Okay, buddy, because those two itineraries are apples to apples right? A niche itinerary to NE and Canada versus what is essentially a weekend booze cruise.

It's all subjective. I live in Boston, school in Hanover, NH. I've been to Portland and Bar Harbor about 100 times. I've been on this exact cruise on the Breakaway 2 years ago and I would still rather go south and do this cruise again then take that NE cruise. And if I did want a NE cruise, I would take a cruise out of Boston (a 10 min walk from my condo) rather then fly to NY to come home.

I say this all just to drive home the point that "niche" is an inherently subjective term.

I haven’t received any email. Did you book directly with NCL?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven’t received any email. Did you book directly with NCL?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With a TA, however I did get the first message in MyNCL, and phone call from NCL and a text about the cruise. All around 4pm