Travel insurance yes or no

Tntt

we are sailing Symphony on a 4 day cruise in 2019, due to such a short cruise I am debating rather or not I need to purchase royal caribbeans cruise insurance or purchase travel insurance through 3rd party or just for go it since it is short cruise. Does anyone else buy travel insurance through royal or do you just travel with out it? Please give me your thoughts....

We have never sailed without it. I’m wondering if I am doing it all wrong as I purchase a few weeks before cruise date. I also purchase cruise, airfare and hotel at different times. Mostly concerned about evacuation coverage. We sail at least 3-4 times a year. I am reading that most people use their credit card for insurance. Plus we are not married but I purchase the policy for us both. If someone in a similar situation can recommemd an alternative, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

We've never bought it.

If you do decide to buy it, you should first check to see what coverage your current insurance includes, and what coverage you might have if you purchased your cruise with a credit card. Many people over insure unnecessarily.

It's always worth it to us...LIFE happens better to be prepared.

We have always used the Trip Insurance Store...Steve and his associates are wonderful and so helpful and knowledgeable about what policy we need for each trip.

We have never sailed without it. I’m wondering if I am doing it all wrong as I purchase a few weeks before cruise date. I also purchase cruise, airfare and hotel at different times. Mostly concerned about evacuation coverage. We sail at least 3-4 times a year. I am reading that most people use their credit card for insurance. Plus we are not married but I purchase the policy for us both. If someone in a similar situation can recommemd an alternative, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

if you cruise 3-4 times a year maybe a yearly plan would be cheaper for you.

Bill

We buy annual travel insurance as we travel a lot. A couple years ago DH injued his arm and required surgery on it after final payment and a few weeks prior to sailing a back-to-back. We thankfully were paid the $7,000 we would have lost otherwise. I suggest always having coverage.

Trip interruption and medical are totally different. It's important to differentiate. Having travel medical coverage is a very good idea and is inexpensive (less than $100/year for entire family from some providers). Trip interruption/cancelation is generally a waste of money. You don't insure inexpensive things. You insure against catastrophic events, like a $75,000 helicopter evacuation!

• Like 1

Trip interruption and medical are totally different. It's important to differentiate. Having travel medical coverage is a very good idea and is inexpensive (less than $100/year for entire family from some providers). Trip interruption/cancelation is generally a waste of money. You don't insure inexpensive things. You insure against catastrophic events, like a $75,000 helicopter evacuation!

$7,000 cruise fare may be inexpensive to you but it isn’t to me! I understand that many frequent cruisers pay much less than this for their cruises. But those of us taking our families on the only vacation they’ll get all year and paying peak summer prices to do it want to minimize the risk of losing that cash as much as possible.

We ALWAYS buy it. I’ve had to claim on it 3X. You never know if you are outside the US and get ill what the costs could be.

I NEVER buy RC insurance due to the low maximum limits for medical and evac coverage. Ps if you fly down, and don’t. Ok air with RC, it won’t be refunded. We use Travel Insured.

Short answer: I don't know. I don't know you. I don't know your financial situation and your ability to self-insure and tolerate risk.

Speaking solely for myself, I self-insure in every situation except where I am required to carry insurance coverage by law. In my state a certain level of automobile liability coverage is required to renew my driver's license. Otherwise I self-insure and I also do not buy extended warranties, which have very high profit margins.

As a retired financial executive I am a data driven person. I would like to know how many passengers boarded Royal Caribbean ships over the past 5 years and how many of those passengers required medical evacuation? How many required any significant medical assistance at all? Did anyone look into this before offering their blanket / general / universal / no exception opinions?

Bill Gates should buy travel insurance? LeBron James should buy travel insurance? Jack Nicholson? Katy Perry? Anyone with an annual salary of high six digits or more and a seven digit net worth? Time magazine says 4.8 million millionaires live in the United States. Some of these people probably vacation on cruise ships. Some of them may also be financially savvy and understand risk management.

To respond to the original poster I simply say I don't know. Personally I don't ask for advice on (1) legal, (2) medical or (3) financial issues on Cruise Critic. These areas depend specifically on my detailed financial situation and you don't know me.

I can tell that many of you are absolutely emphatic about your advice on this topic so I won't attempt to change your mind. I'm simply speaking for myself.

We’ve been on 46 cruises and have never bought the insurance and had no need for it. I did my due diligence and determined, based on our health and financial health, we would roll the dice and it came up 7s every time.

We aren’t going to think about it anymore as we no longer see the value in a cruise vacation.

we are sailing Symphony on a 4 day cruise in 2019, due to such a short cruise I am debating rather or not I need to purchase royal caribbeans cruise insurance or purchase travel insurance through 3rd party or just for go it since it is short cruise. Does anyone else buy travel insurance through royal or do you just travel with out it? Please give me your thoughts....

Are you kidding, have you any idea the cost you would incur if you needed to be airlifted from the ship.

In 28 years of traveling I’ve always had it and never needed it until this year and boy was I glad it was there.

NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT IT.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Oh and

Yes

Forget if you are taken ill on the cruise, what about before you cruise?

There have been several threads on CC where cruises have had to be cancelled due to medical reasons or a death in the family.

My Father had to cancel a cruise due to his Doctor advising him he could not longer fly long haul flights. If my Father takes a flight over 5 hours he runs the risk of death due to poor blood circulation. Dad was glad he had taken out insurance.