Shopping for cruise

CaptnG

Help! I’m taking my mom on her first cruise this October on the Breakaway from NY to the Carribean. She lives in remote Alaska, generally all she wears is jeans and T-shirts, and has no opportunity to shop before we leave, so I’ve offered to help and get a swim suit and a few other things for her. I asked what she wanted and got mostly generic answers, so I’m hoping you might have some advice. My mom is in her late 60s, she’s slender but not in great shape... any stores, items, or ideas would be very much appreciated! I know this is a very personal question to ask for help on, but I’m hoping a few of you ladies might know where to go to find something simple that anyone could wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lands End may be a good option for some basics and swimwear. Lots of swimwear options that will work for many ages, shapes, sizes. They have an online fit finder - you can input your mom's measurements and it will tell you what size is best.

Jeans and T-shirts are probably fine for a Breakaway Caribbean cruise. A bathing suit is of course essential. Why not go to a department store in NY on arrival? Which one would depend on your style and price point. Actually even Target could be a good option. There are several in Manhattan.

Perhaps find some items she might like online and forward her the web page. If she likes

the items have her look at the sizing chart and pick out what size she is.

As a senior myself I bought a pair of swim shorts and wear it with a tee shirt on beach days unless I am

going to go swimming then I put on a modest tankini top for beach/pool.

As an early 60's cruiser, I find that I live in my swim suit, t-shirts and exercise pants/yoga pants during the days onboard and shorts/capris + top of the day when ashore in the Caribbean (often with a swim suit, if excursion dictates).

One of the joys of NCL is not having to dress up for dinner if you don't want to/your mom doesn't want to. That being said if you want to go to Ocean Blue or Le Bistro and dress up a bit, one or two nice shirts and a dressy pair of shoes (flats if she prefers) would be great.

I like the Lands End idea, the fitting tool is spot on. There still may be summer sales online for something dressy.

I hope you both have a wonderful vacation.

Swimsuits are the hardest thing to shop for - even when you can try them on in the store! I live an hour away from the nearest mall/Target so most of my shopping is done online unless I find stuff at Walmart (the only shop we have in our town that is not a boutique geared at tourists). Walmart actually has some nice shorts and tops that would be good for a cruise - things that look more expensive than they are ;) Online I go for shops that have free shipping and returns - like Old Navy and Gap. I also have Amazon Prime. Not sure what your budget is - is your mom going to wear the clothes at home as well or are they just for the trip?

I am also a jeans and t-shirt type of person, but for cruises and other vacations I find a couple of comfortable dresses, 3-4 shorts, or even leggings. I do bring jeans with me and pair them with a nice top for dinner. Tunic tops are good with leggings and they are comfortable but can also be a little dressier. Old Navy has some casual/basic dresses that can be dressed up or even worn as cover-ups at the beach. Lands' End and LL Bean have nice swimsuits and they have their Summer stuff on sale right now. For stuff like shorts I would do elastic waistbands for a better chance that they fit. Target has some nice light shorts, Walmart has some pull-on bermudas..

I would not wait until you get to NYC to buy everything. By October shops will be full of Fall/Winter items and finding Summer stuff would be a lot harder.

Swimsuits are the hardest thing to shop for - even when you can try them on in the store! I live an hour away from the nearest mall/Target so most of my shopping is done online unless I find stuff at Walmart (the only shop we have in our town that is not a boutique geared at tourists). Walmart actually has some nice shorts and tops that would be good for a cruise - things that look more expensive than they are ;) Online I go for shops that have free shipping and returns - like Old Navy and Gap. I also have Amazon Prime. Not sure what your budget is - is your mom going to wear the clothes at home as well or are they just for the trip?

I am also a jeans and t-shirt type of person, but for cruises and other vacations I find a couple of comfortable dresses, 3-4 shorts, or even leggings. I do bring jeans with me and pair them with a nice top for dinner. Tunic tops are good with leggings and they are comfortable but can also be a little dressier. Old Navy has some casual/basic dresses that can be dressed up or even worn as cover-ups at the beach. Lands' End and LL Bean have nice swimsuits and they have their Summer stuff on sale right now. For stuff like shorts I would do elastic waistbands for a better chance that they fit. Target has some nice light shorts, Walmart has some pull-on bermudas..

I would not wait until you get to NYC to buy everything. By October shops will be full of Fall/Winter items and finding Summer stuff would be a lot harder.

I agree that finding summer clothing and bathing suits will be very hard in October. I like to buy s couple of simple dresses that I use as coverups but can also be used as dresses.

Jeans are fine in ALL restaurants for all meals. Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro where you’ll need jeans.

Don’t make your mom dress up if she is more comfortable in jeans. No need for dresses or anything foo foo.

Something like a simple UV 3/4 sleeve rash guard shirt and swim shorts (not bikini bottoms) will be good for the beach.

Make good cruise memories for your mom, not something she would potentially dread.

The Gap/Old Navy website is having a huge sale right now. Their return process is incredibly easy and free .... they have a return label already in the package, all she would have to do is stick it back onto the original packaging and put it in her mail box. I would order a large variety and sizes of things and let her pick what she wants to keep. I also agree about Lands End for bathing suits - they are a modest fit and great quality.

Fresh Produce Clothing has some great things for a Caribbean cruise:https://www.freshproduceclothes.com/clothes?rmsrc=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuqqB34Ki3QIVCv5kCh1iYAmHEAAYASAAEgLZ7PD_BwEAlso, Swimsuits for all has great swimsuits: https://www.swimsuitsforall.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SFA%20-%20Brand&utm_content=Brand%20-%20General&utm_term=swimsuits%20for%20all&couponcode=18SEP15&kclid=c0fdacc1-6430-4d93-b440-4d3e2ce17ce7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI96KnhYOi3QIVBMZkCh14KQbAEAAYASAAEgIwpfD_BwE