Cuba question

may1021

Going on Empress in January. Have read much about the requirements etc. It appears US gov requires you to have tours etc for educational purposes or some other categories.. If I book an AM tour, go back on the ship for lunch, and then want to get off the ship, I can do this? I don't need to be on a tour constantly, correct? I am assuming there will be no one at the ship stopping me from getting off. What about Cuban customs...would they want to know about tours etc. Anyone with experience, would appreciate your expertise. Thx.

We just got off the Majesty yesterday. Technically, the US does require you to have a tour booked. The cruise line told us that we did not have to book one and that Cuba didn't care BUT that the US could question your visit to Cuba up to 5 years after visiting.

There was a discussion seminar during the cruise before we got to Cuba which was very informative.

We booked the Old Havana Walking Tour to get a feel for the place and loved it. It lasted about 5 hours so we still have 4 hours after the tour. Once your tour is finished you can do what you please. We strolled around, had lunch in a great sidewalk restaurant, went shopping, car watching etc.... So no, you do not have to be on a tour constantly. When you go through customs they do not ask if you are on a tour or not. They just scan your passport, stamp it and move on.

As far as I know, you can come and go as much as you want. We didn't. Once we got off the ship, we did not want to leave Cuba. Stayed in Old Havana for as long as possible.

Just make sure you have your paperwork from the cruise line filled out before you board the ship in Tampa/Miami wherever you are sailing from. They ask for it at check in and if you have it done already, it speeds things up. They will give you the visa at check in (75 a person, billed to your cabin) take it back to your cabin to fill out. You don't need it until you get to Cuba.

Have fun...we loved Cuba and are already planning a return cruise next October for an overnight Havana, and the 2 other city ports Royal stops at.

You sign an affidavit on your plans. You keep a copy for 5 years. You keep a log of what you did. Example, got off ship, sat on bench, outside by the old bench, and people watched for 8 hours. Got back on the ship. Spent no money and talked to no one.

It sounds funny, but basically, you are required not to spend money at a government business, and you are suppose to have certain interactions which tours are approved. However, that is entirely up to you, on if you want to honor the rules or not. The Cuban people don't care, and immigration control does not care. Welcome to Cuba, spend lots of money, and come back soon, is their motto.

Also, the ship, once it leaves US territory, is on it's own. They are not the police or government agents. They will tell you exactly what they are suppose to tell you. They give you the affidavit to sign, and they keep a copy. The rest is up to you.

Going on Empress in January. Have read much about the requirements etc. It appears US gov requires you to have tours etc for educational purposes or some other categories.. If I book an AM tour, go back on the ship for lunch, and then want to get off the ship, I can do this? I don't need to be on a tour constantly, correct? I am assuming there will be no one at the ship stopping me from getting off. What about Cuban customs...would they want to know about tours etc. Anyone with experience, would appreciate your expertise. Thx.

No problem getting off the ship a second/third/fourth etc) time regardless of your touring plans.

You will be required to present your passport to Cuban customs agents each time you go off the ship.

In our experience, no one will ask you about your tours, or plans for your day. We have completed two cruises to Cuba. One was a single day stop, the other was an overnight so we were on and off the ship a good bit during those two different trips.

Enjoy. M

If I book an AM tour, go back on the ship for lunch, and then want to get off the ship, I can do this?

Don't even think about going back to the ship for lunch. You are visiting an island that Americans haven't freely been able to visit in many decades. Find a local place to eat and soak up a little more Cuban culture. Another school cafeteria-quality burger in the Windjammer isn't worth saving a few bucks.

I would suggest looking at the port of call board for Cuba, there are many answers to your question and great recommendations on things to do. I really enjoyed my time in Cuba.