Need help deciding between two excursions

Queen

My husband and I thought we had our minds set about which excursion we wanted to do until I came across the posts about the Fiesta Party Boat. We wanted to do the Catch the Wave, but after all of the great reviews, we are undecided! If you have experienced the both of these, or know someone who has, would you please give your opinions about the best one to take?

• 4 weeks later...

Hubby and I did the Catch the Wave last Sept. The snorkling was fun, however it was very near the ship, but we were able to see lots of pretty sights and fish. The water was crystal clear. We were beginners so it was perfect for us. The Party boat was exactly that.......lots to drink and eat and lots of fun......didn't really hear any complaints form anyone! We were on RCCL and they had an added underwater adventure you could do while you were on the party boat....everyone seemed to love that one!!!!!!They also had a glass bottom boat which was included......that was fun too!.....hope you enjoy yourselves, whatever you decide!.....Nightingail.

We did the fiesta party boat in 2000 and din't care for it. Didn't seem to be nearly as good as everyone raved about and didn't allow for very much beach time either. We certainly will not go on it again. Alan.

We really enjoyed the Catch the Wave snorkeling tour. In fact, we liked it so much we have gone twice. While it is true that the boat doesn't go very far from the pier, there are a lot of fish at the location where they anchor. Plus, although we have been snorkeled at many locations, including several at Cozumel, this is the only place I have ever seen seahorses "in the wild". The guides know where a group of seahorses live and breed and it was really something to see. The guides were very nice and took used our cameras to take pictures of us under the water. The rest of the staff was very nice also.

The boat had a freshwater shower and large men's and women's bathrooms. Although it wasn't advertised, there was a complimentary open bar as well as sodas. (Open bar isn't available to the individual passenger until the passenger has finished snorkeling, but sodas are available all of the time.) Both times, including last November during our latest trip, the "snack" was a complete lunch--not just nachos. Some of the best Mexican food we have ever had!

The snorkel equipment, including snorkel vests, was included in the cost. They furnished towels so we didn't have to bring towels from the ship. There is also a free glass bottom boat which takes any tour group participants which desire much further out to the reef to see the fish--we also did this as well. We felt like we got a good value from this tour, even if we didn't go very far from the pier.

We have never chosen to go on the Fiesta party boat because all of the people we have talked with tell us that it is really more for those who want to listen to music and drink from the open bar than to snorkel. So the snorkeling/swimming time is very short.

• 5 weeks later...

None of our party did the Bond adventure, so i can't really give my opinion about whether it is worth the cost or not. Everyone on the two trips I was on that did the Bond liked it but many said they wished it had been longer. You might want to post this question on the RCI board since this is somewhat unique to RCI.

As far the the snorkeling went, it was good both times and we got to snorkel a long time. The one advantage about being close to the pier is that not much time is taken getting to the snorkeling spot. We had well over three hours to snorkel both times. The first time we went, we did the glass bottom boat, ate the really delicious Mexican lunch they call a "snack", and snorkeled for about 45 minutes. The second time we went, I wanted to do a lot of snorkeling, so that's what I did. When I finally was ready to stop, I had snorkeled over two hours and was the last passenger snorkeling--it was just one of the guides and myself. Hint-- ask the guides to show you where the seahorses are--they are hard to find on your own.

Most people want to snorkel some and then partake of the open bar and snack, which both times was delicious. There is also the glass bottom boat and the gift shop. One of the times, one of the guides brought his guitar and sung while everyone was eating.

Kathy

Archived