Chak, Xcaret, or Paradise?

jeast

Hey!

We are sailing to Cozumel in October and are torn. Should we spend the money and time for Xcaret, go to Chakanaab park (easier) or chill at Paradise beach. Xcaret looks so nice, it might be worth the time and money. What do you experienced cruisers think?

How much time are you going to have in port? We too were planning on going to Xcaret. My family wanted to do the dolphin swim. After doing the research, we decided it was going to take too long to get there and we wouldn't have very much time to spend there for all it was going to cost. We opted for Chankanaab and Dolphin Discovery. However, we waited a little too long and could only get the dolphin swim later in the afternoon, which would be cutting it too close to getting back to the ship. (remember when booking your excursion that your ship's time and Cozumel time may be different.) Sherri at Cozumel Insider was able to get us into the sea lion swim so that is what we did. It was very nice and Chankanaab Park is beautiful. My sister and her family who was on the same cruise with us, didn't want to do the dolphin or sea lion swim because they did the stingray swim in Grand Caymen. They opted for a lazy beach day and went to Paradise Beach and loved it! Any questions .... feel free to ask!

We have a relatively long day in Cozumel, 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.

Is there something particularly different about the chakanaab park that makes it worth going to?

Also, is it much more expensive/difficult to get to?

Thanks for helping a first timer! icon_smile.gif

See my post on Xcaret and the Dolphins.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=098097554&m=385101252

We only had from 9 to 6 in cozumel. If we hadn't done the entire river (you can get out and walk to the end to collect your belongings) then we would have had more time. Plus skip the sit down lunch. The dolphins alone were worth the cost of the park and the dolphins (be sure to book ahead). I wish we would have had more time to snorkle but I will know for next time. We plan to return to Xcaret on our next trip.

FYI - If you have to ferry to Cozumel do not schedule the dolphins too early as we expected to be there by 10:15 or so and didn't get there until 10:45 because of problems getting off the ship. Since your getting into Cozumel at 7 you should be OK booking for late morning. Don't wait until you get to the park - because you run the risk of no openings. You need to check in as soon as you get to the park and they will give you your admission ticket.

-- Cheryl

****Proud member of O.A.T.C.****

Check out my Homepage in my profile for Conquest info

10/99 Fantasy

12/01 Inspiration

03/02 Inspiration

03/03 Conquest

05/04 Rhapsody

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeast:

We have a relatively long day in Cozumel, 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.

Is there something particularly different about the chakanaab park that makes it worth going to?

Also, is it much more expensive/difficult to get to?

Thanks for helping a first timer! icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chankanaab is good for snorkling because they have a rocky area. It is also good for swimming because they have a sandy area. There are also Botanical gardens and replica Mayan ruins as well as the sea lion show. Entrance to the park is only $12US, but some of the dolphin discovery packages, booked through cozumel insider, include the entrance fee. It is also very easy to get to. Taxis run back and forth from the piers constantly. Don't get me wrong ..... We checked out X-caret and it looks even more beautiful. It was our first choice, but it does look hard to get to and would of taken way too long. The admission was a lot more, but probably would of been well worth it if we would of had more time to spend there.

Thanks, everyone!

We've nixed Excaret because I've decided for my first real vacation in 12 years, I want to relax, not hustle trying to get places. I want to rediscover my real name, not 'mommy'.

As such, I am now torn between relaxing at Paradise beach with the free water toys or snorkeling at Chankanaab and renting a palaba. Does anyone know what rental prices chankanaab has for palabas, kayaks, etc.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by florida diver:

Hey Belle:

How was that sea lion thing..my wife loves those animals and really wants to do that. I don't wind because I will rent tanks and dive the day away (except for the sea lions). thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The sea lion swim was very nice. There were 8 people in the group. The trainer first tells you about the sea lion, then you get in the water and it swims past you and you can reach out and touch it. Then you individually get to hold it and it kisses you while they take your picture. Then two people hold there hands together up in the air and it jumps over them, turns around and jumps over them again on it's way back. Then you get back up on the platform and the trainer explains how they mimick you. Whatever you do, they do. Very cute and funny! Then before you leave, everyone gets to hug it good-bye and it waves to you. Afterwards you can go in a room and watch the video which they put to music. If you decide to purchase it, the cost is $28US. and well worth it. The photos were excellent, but expensive in my opinion. I think like $19.00 or $20. ( A little bigger than a 5 x 7). I did however buy some because they were so good! We booked it through Cozumel Insider For $59US. You get the swim, the sea lion show, and entrance to Chankanaab. A great buy! If you don't want to do the sea lion swim with your wife, you can pay admission to the park only ($12.US) and you can also watch the sea lion show if you choose. I think it was like $5.00. And FYI they said the snorkeling was great there!

WE loved Chanakaab - the best snorkeling and it's a great place! Didn't do the dolphin swim but lots of people were. I would recommend to do Chanakaab for the snorkeling, dolphin, etc. then head to Paradise Beach for the remainder of the day. Sounds like a great new spot.

Excaret is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. It is fun for all ages to swim in the caves. The grounds are huge, you can be amoung the crowd or look for a quiet cove for more privacy. You have plenty of time to swim and relax by the beach. I have been there 3 times and loved it. Its my picture of paradise

As such, I am now torn between relaxing at Paradise beach with the free water toys or snorkeling at Chankanaab and renting a palaba. Does anyone know what rental prices chankanaab has for palabas, kayaks, etc.Thanks!

Hi. I've been to Chankanaab twice, and loved every minute. Did my very first snorkeling there in Sept. When I go back to Coz on my next cruises, I intend to snorkel at Chank and then go to Paradise Beach for the remainder of the day, I've heard so much about it. I understand the snorkeling's not great at PB, so will make a stop at Chank first.

It's a $10 cab ride (up to 4 ppl) to Chank, and I think $12 to PB. Entrance fee is $12pp at Chank, and free at PB.

I didn't see any kayaks while at Chankanaab.:confused: As far as 'palabas' - unless you're talking about the palapas, I don't know what you mean. The palapas (thatched shade things you sit under), there is no charge for them. Also, they have lots of those white molded lounge chairs, no charge. Waiters will come on the beach to take drink orders.

Chankanaab also has beautifully landscaped area, the botanical gardens with replicated Mayan ruins and HUGE iguanas.:eek: (They just kinda stare at you.) Also - lots of dive shops, shopping huts, great al fresco restaurant with strolling Mariachis - love their music! You can watch the dolphins perform even if you don't do the Dolphin Discovery. I have some great camcorder footage.

As you can see, I absolutely LOVE Chankanaab, BUT I do intend to do both parks on my upcoming cruise.

Anymore questions?

Thanks everyone,

Great! It sounds like we might try both Chankanaab and PB. Excaret and Xel-ha, no matter how beautiful, sound like a little too much hassle for my state of mind lately.

Can't wait to snorkel and meet PB Tom in the same day!

We have been to Xcaret AND Paradise Beach (but never Chankanab:( - intend to one day)

If you are going to be in Cozumel and go to Xcaret, then you will have a ferry ride, plus a bus ride or cab to Xcaret - expense wise - Xcaret was pricey to me (If memory serves me correctly it was over 50 for the ticket to get in). It has some nice places there and is MUCH bigger than PB. We went and it was HOT HOT HOT! - the underground river was alot of fun to swim, but again the park was much bigger then PB.

Paradise Beach on the other hand, is about 15 minutes from the Pier, and is MUCH nicer in terms of it being smaller, but has all the "toys" to play with there. The two places are so very different, it depends on what you are looking for.

Between the 2, I prefer Paradise Beach, but again, it depends on what you are looking for. I felt like a tourist at Xcaret. I felt like those that don't want to feel like tourists, will go to PB.:D

Cathy:cool:

Archived