Cruise Critic Community
BandBWCsmom

Question about waves from the hurricane - Cruising SEPTEMBER 9

Hi,

Cruising this weekend with my husband and two small children from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. None of them have sailed before (I have and have no seasick issues). My question is that they're saying for the coast of FL to expect four foot swells as Florence passes by. What type of impact does that have on the cruise ship (and passengers) to deal with swell? Will it be greatly felt as obviously the swells will be larger further out to sea.

My husband gets seasick deep sea fishing and all I've told him as that you don't feel much of anything on a cruise ship. Now, I am very worried I'm going to have three seasick people with me and it will be all my fault.

Any insights to offer? We won't be close to the storm, but I don't want to ruin cruising for them as it's my favorite.

Thanks!

Agreed- the bands really do help! That with a few dabs of essential oils do the trick for me!

I just heard that my NCL cruise from NY to Bermuda has been changed. We are now going to Florida and the Bahamas too. Praying that we all have enjoyable weather!!

Hi,

Cruising this weekend with my husband and two small children from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas.

Thanks!

Seems highly unlikely you'll have problems on your cruise this upcoming weekend.

Enjoy! :D

Agreed- the bands really do help! That with a few dabs of essential oils do the trick for me!

I just heard that my NCL cruise from NY to Bermuda has been changed. We are now going to Florida and the Bahamas too. Praying that we all have enjoyable weather!!

Which oil/oils do you use?

Hi,

Cruising this weekend with my husband and two small children from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas. None of them have sailed before (I have and have no seasick issues). My question is that they're saying for the coast of FL to expect four foot swells as Florence passes by. What type of impact does that have on the cruise ship (and passengers) to deal with swell? Will it be greatly felt as obviously the swells will be larger further out to sea.

My husband gets seasick deep sea fishing and all I've told him as that you don't feel much of anything on a cruise ship. Now, I am very worried I'm going to have three seasick people with me and it will be all my fault.

Any insights to offer? We won't be close to the storm, but I don't want to ruin cruising for them as it's my favorite.

Thanks!

Are you sailing on Royal Caribbean or NCL? My thinking with that question is your trip probably goes to their private island which both lines tender people to the island. My only experience is with Royal Caribbean and Coco Cay. You may skip that stop as its real hard getting off and on a tender in 4-6ft swells. I think Disney docks at their island, but I've never been there.

First of all the newer ships are quite stable. Still some people do get sick on occasion. You can look into getting the patch which is worn behind the ear for the duration. You can take dramamine, but that works best if you take it before you get sick... but it tends to make you sleepy and it is worse if you drink alcohol. You can try wrist bands which use acupressure... they have worked for me... put them on when you get on the ship and keep them on... If you do get sick.... ginger ale and fresh ginger can help calm stomach... also sliced apples and saltines to give you something light for your stomach. The few times I thought I was going to get sea sick.. I went to bed... seems better lying down. I have not cruised so many times I don't even think about getting sick. I think worrying about it makes it more likely. Ironically I could get sick on a small sail boat in the short time it took to go below for a drink... years later we purchased a sail boat and I never got sick... I think it was because I was so busy manning the sails and sheets I did not have time to think about it. After 24 cruises... I only had an issue that required saltines and apples once... and that was on an old boat without stabilizers. I really don't think you will have problems... but if worried... check into the patch... now I am not sure if the side effects are like that of dramamine... so I would look into that first.... the wrist bands did help me

Sea sickness in my experience has nothing to do with choppy water. On my first cruise I got seasick on perfect calm water -- so calm I was telling people it felt as if we weren't even moving. I googled sea sickness and read that the discomfort was caused by the difference between what the body perceives -- movement -- and what the eyes perceive -- a perfectly still room with furniture. Once I knew that, I was able to adjust. Going on deck and watching the horizon helped. I made an effort pay attention to the sensations and didn't have a problem after that, even when we went through a storm a few days later and we had 25 ft swells. It wasn't happy in 25 ft swells, but I wasn't sea sick. I haven't used any medication since. By the way, the only movement I was aware of on that perfectly smooth sea, was the rumbling vibrations of the engines and not waves and I was still miserable that first day.