Cruising after Brexit.

emam

I really do think this is a mountain out of a molehill.  You will have to show your passport at the first port of call and clear into the EU.  Once in, all other ports should be the same as they are now!  You are already in the EU and they don't have any other borders.

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I really do think this is a mountain out of a molehill.  You will have to show your passport at the first port of call and clear into the EU.  Once in, all other ports should be the same as they are now!  You are already in the EU and they don't have any other borders.

I agree with you,tourist money is key and a lot of unfounded scaremongering won't stop us cruising.

The optimistic views expressed are touching, and I hope correct, but do remind me a lot of all the assurances we had from all the Leave Liars such as Johnson, Gove and Co before and after the referendum.

Remember how easy it was going to be to reach an agreement with the EU? How they’d be falling over themselves to do a deal? How desperate they’d be to keep our trade?

Now Leavers are telling us it’s all going to be fine if we crash out without a deal. So that’s why we’re having to spend billions preparing for food shortages, medical shortages, transport problems is it?

• Like 1

The point is that the EU has no internal borders. Once you have entered the EU there are no more border checks. That is why assylum seekers try hard to get into an EU country nearest them. Once in there are no more checks.

53 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:
  • Oh for God's sake.  You are just the same as the other rumour mongers.  This country will manage just fine and would be even better if people stopped all these scare stories.

It’s called realism and facing fact I’m afraid, rather than believing the pack of lies we’ve been fed by Brexiteers. Do you really believe that we’re having to make all these emergency no-deal preparations just for fun?

Part of the problem is that pretty much the whole of the UK press has been pushing Brexit for its own purposes, and the readership of papers like the Mail and the Express have been gullible enough to believe all the false, pointless optimism based on a tissue of lies created by clowns like Boris Johnson.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

The point is that the EU has no internal borders. Once you have entered the EU there are no more border checks. That is why assylum seekers try hard to get into an EU country nearest them. Once in there are no more checks.

I don't know the technicalities of this, but if we go into an EU port for the day, then leave and sail back into international waters for the transit to the next port, would we not be re-entering the EU at the next port?

30 minutes ago, docco said:

It’s called realism and facing fact I’m afraid, rather than believing the pack of lies we’ve been fed by Brexiteers. Do you really believe that we’re having to make all these emergency no-deal preparations just for fun?

Part of the problem is that pretty much the whole of the UK press has been pushing Brexit for its own purposes, and the readership of papers like the Mail and the Express have been gullible enough to believe all the false, pointless optimism based on a tissue of lies created by clowns like Boris Johnson.

Listening to you Rocco reminds me of an old gramophone when the needle got stuck in the same groove , we all now know your views so constant repetition is not needed, and you won't change our minds just like we won't change yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

In your scenario would you not be leaving the EU when you leave a port and sail back into international waters to transit to the next port, and therefore be re-entering the EU at the next call? We're obviously only talking about a no deal scenario on this post and, hopefully, something sensible will be sorted out though.

2 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Correct!  Except we do have a border and they are still getting in by getting in boats!

Edited by jeanlyon

I've done a cruise through the Med and through Suez to lots of places not in the EU.  We had no problems or queues.  How much of a problem is it on a World Cruise?  It's not because Reception has all the passport numbers and you normally get a bulk clearance, except for the States where you do wait rather a long time.

Can this thread be shut down? I find it utterly pointless arguing amongst ourselves when none of us know what will actually happen. Debating it causes bad feeling on a friendly forum and the whole topic is utterly devisive. Can we not keep Brexit off the cruise forum until hard facts are actually known.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

Can this thread be shut down? I find it utterly pointless arguing amongst ourselves when none of us know what will actually happen. Debating it causes bad feeling on a friendly forum and the whole topic is utterly devisive. Can we not keep Brexit off the cruise forum until hard facts are actually known.  

Nobody knows for sure, but there are some educated and informed predictions based on what we do know - which is that if we leave without a deal (ie no transition period) we can forget everything that's happened in the past.  We will not be members of the EU, and we will have no agreements in place with any other country, EU or non-EU.  That's a complete game changer.

This is a useful forum for exchanging views - and hopefully learning at the earliest opportunity what's happening.  I (and others) have seriously considered cancellations because of the risks involved, and although I've gone ahead with one booking (more to come) I'm gambling on there being a deal, in order to bring the transition period into play.

If people don't like discussing the issue, maybe because the discussion raises issues that worry them, there's a simple solution - don't follow the thread.  Just ignore it.

I'd like to learn more, and I hope the thread will assist that, as additional information is posted.  The Schengen points made seem particularly relevant, for example.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:
  • Oh for God's sake.  You are just the same as the other rumour mongers.  This country will manage just fine and would be even better if people stopped all these scare stories.

Actually the government are the ones who have started most of the scare stories which is totally irresponsible of them. They have made it known that they are stock piling drugs etc they have even commissioned extra ferries for imports, it only adds fuel to concerns. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Actually the government are the ones who have started most of the scare stories which is totally irresponsible of them. They have made it known that they are stock piling drugs etc they have even commissioned extra ferries for imports, it only adds fuel to concerns. 

Some might say that it’s simply taking sensible precautions (as is the EU) to try to minimise very serious potential problems. That’s not irresponsible. It’s just forward planning to protect the population.

Businesses are making the same plans and laying in additional stocks to try to minimise problems.

The most irresponsible person in all this is David Cameron for creating the problem in the first place to try to retain Conservative votes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, docco said:

Some might say that it’s simply taking sensible precautions (as is the EU) to try to minimise very serious potential problems. That’s not irresponsible. It’s just forward planning to protect the population.

Businesses are making the same plans and laying in additional stocks to try to minimise problems.

The most irresponsible person in all this is David Cameron for creating the problem in the first place to try to retain Conservative votes.

The contingency planning is not irresponsible, the press releases related to them however are. 

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

How many of us have done a Baltic cruise?  Any problems getting into these non-EU countries?  Estonia, Russia.  No problem at all.

Estonia's been a member of the EU since 2004.  But apart from that, you're still referring to the situation as it is now - that changes completely if we leave the EU without a deal.  We will not have the EU agreements we currently have, and we will have none of our own to replace them.

• Like 1

Just now, Manx buoy said:

But why do they need extra ferries are they expecting more imports into the country why else would they need them if all the doom merchants are listened to no ones ever dealing with Britain again! We’re just sat on a Little Rock here watching it all happen and shaking our heads in disbelief at all the little lost sheep following the flock! Wake up people look at the likes of Norway and Switzerland how do they cope

20 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

But why do they need extra ferries are they expecting more imports into the country why else would they need them if all the doom merchants are listened to no ones ever dealing with Britain again! We’re just sat on a Little Rock here watching it all happen and shaking our heads in disbelief at all the little lost sheep following the flock! Wake up people look at the likes of Norway and Switzerland how do they cope

I think they are trying to spread the load over a wider number of ports, rather than Dover being the main entry port.  However lets hope they won't need them, and lets hope that the cost will come out of the DUP  bung, or confidence and supply arrangement, since they are the main reason there might be a no deal.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yep, you're right, my mistake, but even so, we had no problem entering Russia and other places like Egypt in the Med.  We go to loads of places that aren't in the EU - no problem at all.

We have cruised to Kusadasi Turkey,Dubai,Oman,Abu Dhabi,USA and At Petersburg Russia without any problems.

• Like 1