Internet

cbsmrich

My husband and I each want our own internet for our upcoming cruise. We want to be able to text each other on board. Do I need to buy 2 single device packages or can I buy the package for 2 devices. We just want to make sure we can communicate and find each other when we do separate things onboard. Thanks!

My husband and I each want our own internet for our upcoming cruise. We want to be able to text each other on board. Do I need to buy 2 single device packages or can I buy the package for 2 devices. We just want to make sure we can communicate and find each other when we do separate things onboard. Thanks!

You can buy a single two-device package.

If all you want to do is text, SMS texts use the cell network not the internet.

They can use either.

But you could use Cellular at Sea, but depending on your plan, you will each pay to send and to receive a text. Typically 50 cents to send, 5 cents to receive. And DO NOT answer any calls, as the price per minute can be high.

Per text costs depend on ones particular phone plan. While $0.50 a text seems expensive, if one only expects to send a few texts a day, this is much less expensive than purchasing an Internet package.

If I purchase a plan from AT&T or $50 for 30 days with unlimited text and talk do I still have to hook up to the ship system and pay for that

If I purchase a plan from AT&T or $50 for 30 days with unlimited text and talk do I still have to hook up to the ship system and pay for that

Do you plan to talk and text while at sea? If so, then you should contact AT&T and see if your $50 plan covers you while at sea. If not, then you would have to either buy a different package from AT&T or pay for the ship's internet.

I think the ships internet is the easiest. Put it in airplane mode, turn on wifi, and text that way. I use it for texting but also to conference into work calls (only 2) while I'm away and it works great.
Thanks for this....I wasn't actually sure how to do wifi only on my phone until you explained it this way. I'm ready for my first cruise in November now. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have tmobile. You can text with WiFi calling if both have Internet? And it’s no cost?

I don’t have T-Mobile but I do have ATT and WiFi calling and yes, I can text or call with no roaming charges. I am quite sure WiFi calling on T-Mobile works the same way.

We’ve never gotten an internet package on a cruise before, but our April cruise on Anthem OTS will be our first long vacation without the kids. We want to be able to either FaceTime them (all of us have iPhones) or video chat through Facebook. Do I need the VOOM Surf & Stream package, or is the VOOM Surf package (without video streaming) good for this? We are not using it for anything else. We disconnect when we’re on vacation. We just want to speak to and “see” the boys once a day throughout the cruise.

You will likely need the Stream tier for any app using video.

Thank you! Anyone know if I can use iMessage with the internet as well? Could I send a picture to my kids and vice versa through iMessage using Royal Caribbean’s internet?

It works by turning my phone on airplane mode and turning on the WiFi, correct? We don’t want to receive text messages during our cruise and have to pay for them.

We’ve never gotten an internet package on a cruise before, but our April cruise on Anthem OTS will be our first long vacation without the kids. We want to be able to either FaceTime them (all of us have iPhones) or video chat through Facebook. Do I need the VOOM Surf & Stream package, or is the VOOM Surf package (without video streaming) good for this? We are not using it for anything else. We disconnect when we’re on vacation. We just want to speak to and “see” the boys once a day throughout the cruise.

Facetime is video streaming, so you should get Surf & Stream.

It works by turning my phone on airplane mode and turning on the WiFi, correct? We don’t want to receive text messages during our cruise and have to pay for them.

Correct, though on Anthem iMessages will come through even without buying a VOOM package.