Hurricane Florence

cwms

Last year on our anthem cruise, we didn’t find out if we were going to Bermuda until a day or 2 before sailing. We had to fly up to NJ with both warm and cold gear. Worked out that we had amazing weather to and from Bermuda

We are watching Florence now as we are heading to Disney for a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not cancel.

Re-route to avoid the storm.

Last year during hurricane Maria, our Anthem cruise to Bermuda ended up in Halifax. We actually got notified 2 days prior to departure and had time to swap swimwear for fall clothes.

I was on that Anthem cruise also. And next Saturday I’ll be on Anthem again trying to go to Bermuda, followed again by the Canada/New England cruise. I’m just going to go with the flow, don’t really care where I end up as long as I’m on the ship.

Last year on our anthem cruise, we didn’t find out if we were going to Bermuda until a day or 2 before sailing. We had to fly up to NJ with both warm and cold gear. Worked out that we had amazing weather to and from Bermuda

We are watching Florence now as we are heading to Disney for a few days

I live in Florida - no need to worry - we are supposed to go to the outer banks of NC late next week - worried now!

Just a quick tip - take a few days of extra medications.

We were sailing last year on the Western Caribbean when hurricane Irma hit on the eastern side. We were not impacted by weather, however we had to spend three extra days on board as the ship could not get back to Port Canaveral.

Meds were exchanged via the message board and the captain suggested folks get off during our extra stop in Mexico if they needed medication.

Also suggest you park your car in a concrete covered structure rather than in an offsite open parking lot.

Safe travels.

M

I live in Florida - no need to worry - we are supposed to go to the outer banks of NC late next week - worried now!

Ugh. I’m sorry. A lot of my friends in the Carolinas had plans for the beach next week and sadly a lot may have to cancel. Slightly concerned about Charlotte but can’t really focus on that. I have people watching my house.

Thanks for the confidence in the Disney portion of my trip. I’d have a sad 4 year old if we had to miss it. We’re heading out of Tampa after but not really worried about that

Just a quick tip - take a few days of extra medications.

We were sailing last year on the Western Caribbean when hurricane Irma hit on the eastern side. We were not impacted by weather, however we had to spend three extra days on board as the ship could not get back to Port Canaveral.

Meds were exchanged via the message board and the captain suggested folks get off during our extra stop in Mexico if they needed medication.

Also suggest you park your car in a concrete covered structure rather than in an offsite open parking lot.

Safe travels.

M

Agree. Time of year. Been sailing Sep/Oct since mid 90's. May go to Canada instead of Bahama's, and wont know until after you sail. Always bring extra warm cloths sailing out NE and I always take extra months worth meds. Never need them until you do...

Edited by ONECRUISER

friendsof mine are on RCCL Brillance of the SeasTA

Amsterdam to TPA...

What will happen with the effects of Florence

They will probably not see it or feel it. They will come in from the backside on the 17th and the storm will be long gone and heading north. It is a pretty straight shot from Ponta Delgado to Tampa.

Am I completely off track here? I think the bigger problem for Grandeur, sailing Thursday is that's roughly when Florence is supposed to be hitting the east coast. Especially if she makes landfall around the Outer Banks - isn't that close enough to the mouth of the bay to make things ugly for Grandeur? No way of sailing around that one?

Am I completely off track here? I think the bigger problem for Grandeur, sailing Thursday is that's roughly when Florence is supposed to be hitting the east coast. Especially if she makes landfall around the Outer Banks - isn't that close enough to the mouth of the bay to make things ugly for Grandeur? No way of sailing around that one?

If the cruise line thinks it will be too dangerous to be in port on the scheduled turnaround day, they will either cut short or extend the current cruise.

Even if you are scheduled to go to New England and Canada, be sure to pack some Caribbean wear, just in case! You don't want to sit on a beach wearing jeans and a sweatshirt should you be re-routed south...it has happened.

Thanks for the advice! I never gave that possibility a thought. Have been on cruises to the Caribbean and Alaska, but this is the first one to New England/Canada and the first cruise during hurricane season. Leaving Oct 11th, so taking some warm weather clothing just may be the smart thing to do!

If the cruise line thinks it will be too dangerous to be in port on the scheduled turnaround day, they will either cut short or extend the current cruise.

I don't think coming back early is much of an option. Baltimore Nassau is a long run and they will likely not have much more than 12 hours in port to cut.

Roy

I personally think that the Grandeur will stay put in Nassau till it is clear to sail north. If that is the case and it gets back to Baltimore a couple days late, then the cruise on the 13th will be shortened and maybe only go to a couple of the original ports. I am on this upcoming cruise too and I am sure they will do what ever is best for the ship and passengers. However, the storm is expected to linger after coming ashore and it looks like the weather for the itinerary will be mostly rain. I've been to all these ports many times, but always look forward to visiting again. Time will tell what will happen. Maybe we will go south, who knows. I am not going to finish my packing until I know for sure what is going on and where we will be going or they cancel it altogether.

Gwen :D

We are leaving next Sunday for a cruise out of Tampa on the Brilliance so I am hoping by then most of this will be over and we will be cleared to go but I do know that hurricane Iassac is set to hit the Caribbean by end of next week too. Our scheduled ports are Key West and Cozumel- hoping it steers clear of both. We do have cruise insurance but not sure what all that covers, suppose I should go and check it out.