Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cwms

Hurricane Florence

Recommended Posts

FWIW Baltimore (BWI) is on the Southwest airlines travel advisory, meaning you can change your flights without fee. My GS changed their flights last night, online, didn't even need to phone them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy currently on the Grandeur, right now they're in Port Canaveral and will return to Baltimore Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know . . . you can not catch a break during hurricane season. It is tough to plan when every model run shows a small change. I do not blame RCL.

 

It seems that now the Grandeur will be coming through the SC coast just after the storm passes. They will not be directly in the path of a hurricane--but, the seas will be VERY rough. If they had docked on Thursday and headed to NE/Canada that evening they would have had a better trip. Oh well. :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will passengers be able to fly home or drive home...

 

IIRC, last year, when this happened and the ship went into Miami, only those with passports were allowed to leave and go home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I really feel your pain. We are scheduled to sail on the Grandeur of the Seas on Thursday, September 13th heading north into Canada. I was emailed yesterday and told the ship which is currently doing a Bermuda itinerary will not return to Baltimore until Sunday, September 16th. The ship will sail, but with a modified and shorter itinerary. The bummer is, since Baltimore isn't "directly" impacted by the hurricane, the airline isn't issuing waivers which means, we'll have to pay to change our air flights OR fly into Baltimore as originally planned and find something to do for 4 days. We have to leave at 3am tomorrow morning to catch our California to Baltimore flight or cancel it and pay $1,200 difference. Not a lot of time to make decisions. RCCL offered to cancel our reservation and they would issue a credit towards a future cruise but not refund our money (minus taxes). If they cancel the cruise, we'll be reimbursed. I wish you luck in your upcoming journey.

 

Come to Baltimore. Lots of things to see and do. And Washington DC is a short train ride away.

 

Also, did you actually call and talk the airline? And ask for a supervisor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You know . . . you can not catch a break during hurricane season. It is tough to plan when every model run shows a small change. I do not blame RCL.

 

It seems that now the Grandeur will be coming through the SC coast just after the storm passes. They will not be directly in the path of a hurricane--but, the seas will be VERY rough. If they had docked on Thursday and headed to NE/Canada that evening they would have had a better trip. Oh well. :eek:

 

HUH? To get out of Baltimore, you have to head south to get out of the Chesapeake Bay. The mouth of the Chesapeake is expected to have, at a minimum, tropical storm force winds as of 8AM Thursday.

 

NO Captain wants to be in restricted waters (the Bay with defined channels and shallows), with tropical storm force winds.

 

I do think, if they had done to Bermuda, they could be back on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be on the same cruise as you. Last year we were diverted on this same cruise the end of Sept, we went to Portland ME and Halifax, we found out 2 days before, BUT Maria was pretty close to us. With this hurricane I guarantee it will be a decision made on Saturday and you'll find out when you get to the pier. We've done Bermuda about 10 times and Portland, Halifax is no where near as nice, BUT i have to say we had a good time in Halifax. Portland is gross and smelly, we came right back on the ship. The silver lining was we got half our money back. As much as I don't want to miss Bermuda 2 years in a row, i much rather be safe than sorry, I trust whatever decision they make.

 

I just finished reading all 180 posts in this thread. :-)

 

We are supposed to sail Saturday on Anthem out of Cape Liberty to Bermuda. Waiting to see what happens. Right now, Anthem is in Halifax on a scheduled 9-day Canada/NE cruise, so no hurricane impact. If our itinerary does change, I wonder how close to Saturday we would be notified? I saw one poster say last year, it was 2 days early.

 

RE: the joker who said "I'd rather sail in a hurricane than go to Nassau." Well, haha. You know what? Nobody says you're forced to get off the ship when you're in ANY port, so if you're not a fan of Nassau, just stay onboard and enjoy having most of the ship to yourselves. We've done exactly that on more than one occasion and it was very enjoyable!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HUH? To get out of Baltimore, you have to head south to get out of the Chesapeake Bay. The mouth of the Chesapeake is expected to have, at a minimum, tropical storm force winds as of 8AM Thursday.

 

NO Captain wants to be in restricted waters (the Bay with defined channels and shallows), with tropical storm force winds.

 

I do think, if they had done to Bermuda, they could be back on Friday.

 

 

I agree that Bermuda would have been a better move.

 

We are very familiar with cruising from Baltimore. [Celebrity Mercury, Carnival Pride, and RCL Enchantment and Grandeur] For a Thursday turn-around day the Grandeur comes into the bay around 10 ish the previous night.

 

One of my favorite sights on a cruise to/from Baltimore is being in the middle of the entrance to the bay and seeing the lights of the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel on both sides of me. So, I remember the timing. It is also common to speed up some to get into the bay sooner if there is a storm. We have sailed from Baltimore many times and had this happen.

 

The forecast for tonight is 10-15 mph winds in Virginia Beach and around 24 mph tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought his post was funny. Not a great port.

 

It was hilarious. Some people just have no sense of humor at all. Nassau is a dump. I chuckled aloud at the comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Time of year, Peak season at that. Back in 1990's would cruise 1st week Sept every yr, then could save thousands over a June/July cruise. Changed ports, skipped ports and changed all ports. One yr had 4 named storms week I sailed and they did both. Lots of waves, Sea Sick passengers. Just watch weather, for messages from Royal and be aware things can happen/change... But then none of this may happen, they will avoid Hurricanes...

 

My husband and I did B2B's on Freedom of the Seas a few years in a row, always the first two weeks of September. We had beautiful weather both times, but knew there was a chance things could change. We didn't mind. Had already been to all the ports multiple times, and the uncertainty was kinda fun. We were also on a cruise during Hurricane Sandy, and that cruise was extended a day because PC was closed. We spent a day porpoising off the coast of Miami with a couple of other ships. Roughest seas we've ever experienced. We didn't get sick, but a lot of people must have been. Dining room and specialty restaurants were empty. That was on Carnival Dream. Probably our last Carnival cruise, but not because of the way they handled the situation. They did an outstanding job of keeping us informed. We never felt unsafe.

 

We were just talking about this last night, and thinking it might be time to plan another September B2B.

 

Is Freedom sailing from San Juan now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree that Bermuda would have been a better move.

 

We are very familiar with cruising from Baltimore. [Celebrity Mercury, Carnival Pride, and RCL Enchantment and Grandeur] For a Thursday turn-around day the Grandeur comes into the bay around 10 ish the previous night.

 

One of my favorite sights on a cruise to/from Baltimore is being in the middle of the entrance to the bay and seeing the lights of the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel on both sides of me. So, I remember the timing. It is also common to speed up some to get into the bay sooner if there is a storm. We have sailed from Baltimore many times and had this happen.

 

The forecast for tonight is 10-15 mph winds in Virginia Beach and around 24 mph tomorrow.

I'm on this upcoming cruise too. We have sailed out of Baltimore lots of times too. Anyway, I too, feel like they should have done their original itinerary of Bermuda. Then, they wouldn't be in such a predicament. But, at the time, I think they were expecting Flo to go towards Bermuda. Now, they are stuck in Florida and have to travel past Flo to get home. Now, it seems like Flo will be churning off shore for most of the weekend. How will the Grandeur get around it safely?

We are supposed to get an update around 7pm. We were to get one yesterday at the same time, but, the update told us there would be an update today....:rolleyes: We could cancel and get our money back, but, my husband wants to wait to see what happens. You have to put up with something like this happening when you book during hurricane season, but, it is still a disappointment. At least we have been to all the ports numerous times, but, I just love this itinerary.

I am packed and just waiting to see where we are going or if the trip is cancelled. I have a feeling that if we don't leave till Monday, we will be going to Bermuda for a day.

Gwen :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grandeur of the Seas - September 13, 2018 Sailing

 

September 11, 2018

 

Dear Travel Partner,

 

As your client finishes up any last minute errands for their upcoming cruise, we have some information to share with you. As you know, we are closely monitoring Hurricane Florence’s trajectory, speed and size. While it is still our intent to return to Baltimore by Sunday, the storm has slowed down and may impact our arrival date and time into the Port of Baltimore. We expect to have more concrete information by 7 PM tomorrow, September 12th. Our goal is to keep you and your clients as informed as possible during this process. To compensate for this unexpected change, we are providing the following compensation:

 

Guests that sail with us will receive:

A refundable Onboard Credit to their SeaPass account for the cruise days missed as a result of this change. This amount will be based on the cruise fare portion, non-inclusive of taxes and fees. If their onboard spend does not reach this amount, the remaining balance will post to their credit card on file. Any taxes and fees associated to missed ports will also be added as an Onboard Credit.

A future cruise credit for the cruise fare value of the days missed, in hopes your client will join us on another cruise in the near future.

Any pre-purchased shore excursions for a changed ports of call will be credited to their onboard SeaPass account. Additionally, shore excursions booked for any of the ports that have been rearranged, will be automatically rescheduled for your client. Once onboard, guests can visit the Shore Excursions Desk on Deck 5 should they have any questions.

 

 

While we hope your client chooses to stay, if they decide not to sail, we’ll provide them with:

100% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare portion of their cruise. Any pre-purchased items, like shore excursions or beverage packages, will be automatically refunded.

Commission will be protected for any guests that choose to cancel their booking.

 

If you have any questions or require assistance, contact us at 1-800-256-6649.

 

Thank you for your patience and support as we work to provide your client with a wonderful cruise vacation. We are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your clients’ vacation. Our guests’ and crew’s safety is our number one priority and while not the itinerary we originally anticipated, we know their time with us will be nothing short of amazing.

 

 

Sincerely,

 

 

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read on weather channel they have now measured 83 foot waves in the NE Quadrant of the hurricane.....I am not sure I have ever heard of waves such as these...…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just read on weather channel they have now measured 83 foot waves in the NE Quadrant of the hurricane.....I am not sure I have ever heard of waves such as these...…..
Better have the Bonine handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My husband and I did B2B's on Freedom of the Seas a few years in a row, always the first two weeks of September. We had beautiful weather both times, but knew there was a chance things could change. We didn't mind. Had already been to all the ports multiple times, and the uncertainty was kinda fun. We were also on a cruise during Hurricane Sandy, and that cruise was extended a day because PC was closed. We spent a day porpoising off the coast of Miami with a couple of other ships. Roughest seas we've ever experienced. We didn't get sick, but a lot of people must have been. Dining room and specialty restaurants were empty. That was on Carnival Dream. Probably our last Carnival cruise, but not because of the way they handled the situation. They did an outstanding job of keeping us informed. We never felt unsafe.

 

We were just talking about this last night, and thinking it might be time to plan another September B2B.

 

Is Freedom sailing from San Juan now?

 

Hey Jules...we were on the same Carnival Dream, hurricane Sandy tour too. Now that was an interesting ride!! We did not get sick, but chose that cruise to try a cove balcony!! The 24/7 banging sound in that room for the last 3 days of the cruise was unbearable!!

 

Sure didn’t stop us from cruising!!

 

We are still going strong, just sailing Royal Caribbean now.

 

Happy sailing!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just read on weather channel they have now measured 83 foot waves in the NE Quadrant of the hurricane.....I am not sure I have ever heard of waves such as these...…..

Not sure how common but did quick search and multiple articles talking about past Hurricanes and Rogue Waves over 50, 75 and 90ft. Amazing, hard to imagine. Done multiple cruises with 20-25ft from Hurricanes or due to just high waves, wasn't too bad but 75, 80 or near 100 Wow...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question. If Grandeur had gone to Bermuda.... they would be returning now... correct... the 12th.... Wouldn't they be in that NE quadrant or close to it? Isn't that where the waves are really high? If they start coming back from Florida.... on the 14th... by the 15th the storm may be lower grade hurricane.... perhaps not so violent? Any experts out there who can answer? All I know is what I have read that waves and wind go well out beyond the eye and that it is particularly bad on the NE quadrant.... Thanks in advance. I am glad I don't have to make the decision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The would trail behind the storm, so no, they would not be in the NE quadrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I will be on the same cruise as you. Last year we were diverted on this same cruise the end of Sept, we went to Portland ME and Halifax, we found out 2 days before, BUT Maria was pretty close to us. With this hurricane I guarantee it will be a decision made on Saturday and you'll find out when you get to the pier. We've done Bermuda about 10 times and Portland, Halifax is no where near as nice, BUT i have to say we had a good time in Halifax. Portland is gross and smelly, we came right back on the ship. The silver lining was we got half our money back. As much as I don't want to miss Bermuda 2 years in a row, i much rather be safe than sorry, I trust whatever decision they make.

 

You 'guarantee' that we'll find out when we get to the pier? That's like saying parents will know if it's a snow day when you drive the kids to school and it's closed.

 

Of course, if there's no last-minute itinerary change, no prior communication is necessary. If there is a weather-influenced change as drastic as Bermuda in mid-Sept vs. Halifax, then I'm fairly confident we will learn that no later than 2 days in advance of sailing date. We gotta know how to pack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought Grandeur was going to Canaveral to wait out the storm.

 

It did. It is there now. The latest (from yesterday) is that it will remain there until at least tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am on Grandeur and the Captain just announced we are here until at least Friday morning.

 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

 

RCCL now has you leaving Friday and back in Baltimore on Sunday. The 13 September cruise will be leaving on the 17th and only going to Halifax, before returning to Baltimore on the 22nd. Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am on Grandeur and the Captain just announced we are here until at least Friday morning.

 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

 

Where are you? Nassau? An NCL ship just announced they are skipping Nassau and I think they are trying to make it back before Florence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...