What you wish you'd known / Best tips -> first time NCL cruiser!

RubySlippers102

Don't know about the Escape but in terms of general info Freestyle Dining is great but I now always make reservations ahead for somewhere for each night. They can always be changed and you know that you can go somewhere without waiting for a table. That said we usually factor in one night at the Asian restaurant that doesn't take reservations and get there right when they open.

We'll be cruising to Bermuda on the Escape in a few short weeks. This is only our second cruise, the first being on HAL to Alaska, and it seems very different. Would love to know things you wish you had known before sailing NCL and the Escape in particular!

Way back when, we did not know we could prepay the DSC. For us, having that costs added at the end of the cruise was an unpleasant (although expected) additional expense. Since then, we pre-pay online by logging into "MY NCL" and select Pre-Pay Service Charges in the My Vacation Summary. (Doing that also cut down the number of line items on our onboard invoice!)

We'll be cruising to Bermuda on the Escape in a few short weeks. This is only our second cruise, the first being on HAL to Alaska, and it seems very different. Would love to know things you wish you had known before sailing NCL and the Escape in particular!

Show up at the port around 10:15 to get through security and check in before the crowds hit. Follow the signs for checkin (the Escape uses two different check in areas based on your deck number). General boarding starts between 11:15 and 11:30. The buffet and O’Sheehan’s open at 11:30 for lunch. The main dining rooms Taste and Savor open at noon. Margaritavile opens at noon (extra cost).

If you have not done so already, on Embarkation day, head to the theater to make entertainment reservations. These include Rock of Ages, After Midnight, comedy shows (early shows are family oriented, late shows are 18+), Choir of Man dinner show (extra cost), Wine Lovers the Musical lunch (extra cost), Canvas by U ( extra cost painting class), Escape the Bigtop escape room (free).

Ropes course - a must.

Water slides - a must (no jewelry at all, none).

District Brewhouse - great music and beer too

In Bermuda, go to the Harbor Nights street fair on the first night in port.

Some menus and activity ideas on our live post from a few months back

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2624246

I remember our first NCL cruise and felt they tried to nickel and dime you every chance they could... I hated that, but have been back a few times since and have learned to accept it. So my advice is this; go in knowing they are going to try to nickel and dime you and ignore it and have a good time. It really is a lovely way to travel. Bermuda is my girlfriend and I's favorite vacation destination. Enjoy!

I remember our first NCL cruise and felt they tried to nickel and dime you every chance they could... I hated that, but have been back a few times since and have learned to accept it. So my advice is this; go in knowing they are going to try to nickel and dime you and ignore it and have a good time. It really is a lovely way to travel. Bermuda is my girlfriend and I's favorite vacation destination. Enjoy!

What are they trying to get you to buy that other lines don't charge for??

We love Holland America ships. We did our first NCL on Breakaway because we were traveling with others who prefer NCL. I was very concerned about the crowds. Here are my comparison points:

Crowds were only evident when waiting in line for Theatre shows and when exiting the ship in ports. The theatre is small and reservations are necessary. And the lines before seating begins gets pretty third grade like. So make reservations for anything you want as soon as you can.

Not much you can do getting off the ship for ports. Excursions pretty much start early in the day and everyone will wanting off about same time. Patience helps.

We only ate in regular dining rooms and rarely had a wait for a table for six. Like the freestyle dining but the anytime dining at Holland works just as well. Have heard of crowds at the buffet but we don’t eat the buffet so can’t say.

While there is far more entertainment on the large NCL ships, you can still do only so much in one evening after a two hour dinner. Fewer selections on Holland but just as much talent.

I missed the Crows Nest a lot. We had a balcony but still missed that large lounge area for watching sail always or gathering for a drink before dinner or late night drink. Great place to meet people.

I think the Holland food is better. I think the service personnel on Holland is friendlier and better trained, but others surely have different opinions.

Enjoy your cruise.

I wish I had known that continental breakfast room service was free! I had read prior to sailing that there was a charge for room service, so never looked into it. It wasn't until prior to sailing on my second NCL cruise that I found our about free room service for breakfast. The free options include "cold" breakfast items like cereal, fruit, pastries, etc. plus coffee, juice, and milk. You fill out a card/door hanger with the items you want and the time you want them delivered and leave it on your door the night before. There are usually only a couple of cards/door hangers in the room when you arrive, so you can stop by the customer service desk or ask your room steward for more.

When doing the ropes course I wish I had known where the camera was when you walk the plank. Figured it out on my second try. Oops!

I wish I would have realized the waterfront was a great place to get away from everyone.

Last, but not least I wish I would have known there was a welcome back aboard party at the last port of call.

I wish I had known that continental breakfast room service was free! I had read prior to sailing that there was a charge for room service, so never looked into it. It wasn't until prior to sailing on my second NCL cruise that I found our about free room service for breakfast. The free options include "cold" breakfast items like cereal, fruit, pastries, etc. plus coffee, juice, and milk. You fill out a card/door hanger with the items you want and the time you want them delivered and leave it on your door the night before. There are usually only a couple of cards/door hangers in the room when you arrive, so you can stop by the customer service desk or ask your room steward for more.
Are both ala carte breakfast and room service free for all room categories?

Bring something white to wear for the deck party. Check out the live music in the craft beer pub. Eat at Food Republic. If you want to book any specialty dining do it from the TV in your room immediately after boarding instead of waiting in line. Or use one of the touchscreens in the common areas. Don't wait or everything will get booked up. Tip the bartenders a buck here and there and you will never wait for drinks.

I was on Celebrity recently and they were constantly trying to upsell everything too. The cruise lines work on yield per passenger, it is what it is.

Managing entertainment reservations was tricky for us. We did not understand that two shows had advance reservations (which we did) and that more of the shows would be reserved once you boarded. So we got blocked from some shows and got lucky once in a standby line. And on our second cruise, we made reservations but lost track of one from not managing our calendars, which is something we'd rather not have to do on vacation, but oh well...

If you go to the box office you can get a sheet for the cruise listing all the shows and which ones take reservations, make reservations for the ones you need, and then you have a schedule to remember your plan in your pocket!

Are both ala carte breakfast and room service free for all room categories?

Not sure what you mean by "a la carte" breakfast. The continental breakfast room service is free for all room categories. When you get the door hanger cards, the top portion with the continental breakfast options is all free. The lower portion with hot items is not free. There is a clear demarcation on the card.

I've always wondered about breakfast delivery. How does it work? Do they just leave it outside your door, or do they bring it in? What if the do not disturb sign is on, and you're sleeping? How does that work?

I'd love continental breakfast delivered to my solo studio, but I always avoided it because I sleep in, and I don't know how else I would actually receive the breakfast without being woken up?