Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

sddsddean

14 hours ago, drsel said:

But Costa diadema will be traveling between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi and Dubai multiple times from 19th October onwards

That may be the plan but I can assure you that at the present time nobody can move freely between Dubai and Abu Dhabi and nobody other than UAE Nationals or UAE residence visa holders can fly into Abu Dhabi..  I live in Dubai and haven't been able to travel to Abu Dhabi since Covid-19 travel restrictions were put in place... As of today's date there has been no announcement as to when those restrictions will be lifted... I don't know what other ports are on those itineraries but Oman (Muscat) and Qatar (Doha) are also still both closed to visitors...

Anne..

On 9/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, drsel said:

Costa diadema is scheduled to leave Italy in September and arrive at Abu Dhabi on 19th October

I saw this online yesterday - no mention of Costa and sounds as though they are looking at a season start date of December...🤔🤔

https://cruisearabiaonline.com/2020/09/05/abu-dhabi-tourist-safe-zone-may-be-used-as-model-for-cruise-tourism-amid-covid-19/

Anne...

On 9/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, drsel said:

Thanks Anne for all your help and advice.

today Costa has removed all the 2020 Dubai and Abu Dhabi sailings from their websites

I saw this online today - Dubai port will reopen to cruise ships from the end of October but not seen anything yet on any other UAE ports...

https://gulfnews.com/business/tourism/after-covid-19-global-cruise-lines-will-once-again-arrive-at-dubai-port-by-late-october-1.1600314367697?fbclid=IwAR0BS069usPy9C7bbag0jrw3WaUt-DL0hkOYl_RG1IHeetCpBxOw5jyukgM

Anne..

I saw this online today - Dubai port will reopen to cruise ships from the end of October but not seen anything yet on any other UAE ports...

https://gulfnews.com/business/tourism/after-covid-19-global-cruise-lines-will-once-again-arrive-at-dubai-port-by-late-october-1.1600314367697?fbclid=IwAR0BS069usPy9C7bbag0jrw3WaUt-DL0hkOYl_RG1IHeetCpBxOw5jyukgM

Anne..
They did not specify the exact date in October.
It could be 20 October or 30 October.
Because Costa Diadema was scheduled to arrive in Dubai on 20 October 2020.

I have not yet received any cancellation notice of the Abu Dhabi round trip Cruises from Costa

On 9/17/2020 at 4:46 AM, Jayayeff said:

Anne..

I notice part of new safety protocol mentioned in the article says denying boarding to those over 70.- bummer!

I saw this online today - Dubai port will reopen to cruise ships from the end of October but not seen anything yet on any other UAE ports...  https://gulfnews.com/business/tourism/after-covid-19-global-cruise-lines-will-once-again-arrive-at-dubai-port-by-late-october-1.1600314367697?fbclid=IwAR0BS069usPy9C7bbag0jrw3WaUt-DL0hkOYl_RG1IHeetCpBxOw5jyukgM   Anne..  

I got my cancellation emails and decided to book a repositioning Cruise from Abu Dhabi to Europe in 2022, along with some friends, who need a visa for UAE.       

The Cruise departs from Abu Dhabi straight to Doha, then Muscat, Salalah, Suez canal, Haifa, Athens, etc.

After departure from Abu Dhabi, it does not return to any port in UAE.

so will a single entry UAE visa suffice for my friends?

For round trip Dubai or Abu Dhabi Cruises, they need a multiple entry Cruise ship visa (MSV) for UAE.

7 hours ago, drsel said:

I got my cancellation emails and decided to book a repositioning Cruise from Abu Dhabi to Europe in 2022, along with some friends, who need a visa for UAE.       

The Cruise departs from Abu Dhabi straight to Doha, then Muscat, Salalah, Suez canal, Haifa, Athens, etc.

After departure from Abu Dhabi, it does not return to any port in UAE.

so will a single entry UAE visa suffice for my friends?

For round trip Dubai or Abu Dhabi Cruises, they need a multiple entry Cruise ship visa (MSV) for UAE.

Yes, if they are flying in then boarding the ship and not returning to the UAE a single entry visa would be sufficient...

Anne...

• Like 1

Yes, if they are flying in then boarding the ship and not returning to the UAE a single entry visa would be sufficient...

Anne...
Yes, fly to Abu Dhabi, stay a few nights in a hotel in Yas Island and then board the cruise ship which will depart from Abu Dhabi to go to Doha.

• 4 months later...

Hello Anne. I hope you have weathered this pandemic well.

Last April I had to cancel my Dubai to Venice cruise, but considering rebooking a Venice to Abu Dhabi cruise late October/November.  I would hop a bus and visit Dubai then fly home from there.  Expo should be happening and I will have more time for Dubai as I will be retired by then, so looking for a new city location to consider for accommodation.  I had been looking closer to the port or by the Burj before, but I could look closer to Expo and the Gardens, or beach now.  I would still want to visit Old Dubai, Glow Garden and areas near the Creek, but if it was near the Metro, are there other areas I should consider to look?  I was thinking apart-hotels with a lower budget ($100 -$170 US).  I would also consider a more traditional guest house, but they don't seem as convenient to public transit (Metro).

Would you recommend areas of town to consider?  Thank you for suggestions.

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, mef_57 said:

Hello Anne. I hope you have weathered this pandemic well.

Last April I had to cancel my Dubai to Venice cruise, but considering rebooking a Venice to Abu Dhabi cruise late October/November.  I would hop a bus and visit Dubai then fly home from there.  Expo should be happening and I will have more time for Dubai as I will be retired by then, so looking for a new city location to consider for accommodation.  I had been looking closer to the port or by the Burj before, but I could look closer to Expo and the Gardens, or beach now.  I would still want to visit Old Dubai, Glow Garden and areas near the Creek, but if it was near the Metro, are there other areas I should consider to look?  I was thinking apart-hotels with a lower budget ($100 -$170 US).  I would also consider a more traditional guest house, but they don't seem as convenient to public transit (Metro).

Would you recommend areas of town to consider?  Thank you for suggestions.

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but with cruising paused for over a year I haven't even looked at CC during that time!!!    As you already know the Expo site is well out of the city however, if you are comfortable using public transport and self-catering then you could look at either aparthotels or Airbnb's in either JLT (Jumeirah Lake Towers) or Dubai Marina as they both give easy access to the Metro (and the tram within Dubai Marina) which by October will run right to the Expo site.  You can also go in the opposite direction and take the Metro into the city when you want to visit 'old' Dubai as both locations (directly across the highway from each other) are roughly midway between the two ...  If you prefer regular hotels then again the are many within Dubai Marina, some with beachfront access, some not and in both JLT and Dubai Marina there are lots of dining options - especially within the Marina as the whole Marina Walk is a pedestrian zone...

Anything else, please post and I'll check in more frequently from now onwards!!

Anne..

1 hour ago, Jayayeff said:

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you but with cruising paused for over a year I haven't even looked at CC during that time!!!    As you already know the Expo site is well out of the city however, if you are comfortable using public transport and self-catering then you could look at either aparthotels or Airbnb's in either JLT (Jumeirah Lake Towers) or Dubai Marina as they both give easy access to the Metro (and the tram within Dubai Marina) which by October will run right to the Expo site.  You can also go in the opposite direction and take the Metro into the city when you want to visit 'old' Dubai as both locations (directly across the highway from each other) are roughly midway between the two ...  If you prefer regular hotels then again the are many within Dubai Marina, some with beachfront access, some not and in both JLT and Dubai Marina there are lots of dining options - especially within the Marina as the whole Marina Walk is a pedestrian zone...

Anything else, please post and I'll check in more frequently from now onwards!!

Anne..

Hello Anne and may I first say, it is good to know you are safe and well.

To be honest, I am not sure I will be able to make this cruise with the slower opening of international cruisers to ships, and the potential for bubble port visits only (so not my style) but I will wait until full payment date to decide.

I expect to be disembarking in Abu Dhabi and taking the bus to Dubai, so think I will stay closer to the areas you mention and take the metro to places. I thought an aparthotel would be a good compromise.

At this point, I won't be doing much planning before final payment early July. Then I expect more will be clear about travel and expectations.

Regardless, I expect there will be more questions from travelers as cruising opens up. It will be nice to get back to reading about people's plans and expectations. Regards, Maria

19 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Hello Anne and may I first say, it is good to know you are safe and well.

To be honest, I am not sure I will be able to make this cruise with the slower opening of international cruisers to ships, and the potential for bubble port visits only (so not my style) but I will wait until full payment date to decide.

I expect to be disembarking in Abu Dhabi and taking the bus to Dubai, so think I will stay closer to the areas you mention and take the metro to places. I thought an aparthotel would be a good compromise.

At this point, I won't be doing much planning before final payment early July. Then I expect more will be clear about travel and expectations.

Regardless, I expect there will be more questions from travelers as cruising opens up. It will be nice to get back to reading about people's plans and expectations. Regards, Maria

Hi Maria,

Sorry to hear your plans are still uncertain, I'll keep an eye on this thread now so if you do need anything else, you won't have to wait two months for me to reply!!!!

Anne...

4 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Hi Maria,

Sorry to hear your plans are still uncertain, I'll keep an eye on this thread now so if you do need anything else, you won't have to wait two months for me to reply!!!!

Anne...

Thank you, Anne. Hopefully the stars will align to take this trip.  It would be a wonderful adventure. I know MSC, at least, it planning winter cruises in the Middle East so hopefully others will head that way and have questions too.

• 1 year later...

Anne,

I have been reading your all of your posts and genuinely appreciate all of your recommendations. Some time has passed since your last comments, so I was curious if any of your recommendations have changed. We will be in Dubai for 2 days prior to a cruise departing on December 2nd, 2022. We were thinking of staying in either in the downtown area or on the Creek for easy access to most of the sites. Do you have any specific recommendations for a moderately priced hotel with good views? Is a HO/HO bus a good way to get an overall feel for the town, or should we focus on specific sites? Any other recommendations are most appreciated. 

• 5 months later...

I see that it has been some time since this has had new information posted so I am hoping to get some updates. We will be arriving at Dubai airport early morning on 3/23/23. Since we are arriving in the middle of the night we have booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express at the airport. They are supposed to have a 24 hour shuttle service so that seemed our best option. We will be boarding the MSC World Europa on 3/25 and are planning to stay at the same hotel for the second night so that we won't have to change hotels. What are our transportation options to do some sightseeing from there? Is the metro a possibility? Also, what would be our best option to get to the port?  Any information would be appreciated.