Birthday Certificate for ~1 Year Old

sagosto63

I am leaving for a closed-loop Allure Of The Seas (Miami, FL) Western Caribbean on December 9th so I have less than 3 months. I don't trust the Feds to get my 13 month (at time of sailing)'s passport in time which leaves me with a chance that the original birth certificate is not available. US Customs (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTM2NjMyMTc5L3NpZC9Zek50Q3RXbg%3D%3D) mentions a birth certificate from a "Vital Records Department" - What is that?

I believe I just need an original birth certificate w/ a raised seal. Correct?

Got my Passport in less than 2 weeks, regular mail. And that was during Thanksgiving time. I'm sure you could do it. But the birth certificate works fine too. Sounds like you are describing the correct one. Bought me an extra one from the county court house, my original was pretty beat up.

Vital Records Department is part of your state government. They have the official records, the birth certificate from the hospital is not a official record in the eyes of the US Government. You can get a birth certificate in person in most states or by mail within a few days.

But passports are always the best option. And you have more than enough time.

Copy w/o raised seal won't work, correct? The "Vital" comment is making me overthink this.

It has to be a certified copy from whatever government office handles the birth certificates for where your child was born. Sometimes those are raised seals, sometimes not.

The name of the office in charge of maintaining “vital statistics” such as birth, marriage, divorce and death records varies from state to state which is why it is often referred to generically as the Vital Records Department. In Connecticut, for example, these records are maintained at the municipal level (town/city) by the office of the Town/City Clerk. In some states, records are kept at the County level and in some, at the State level. But they all perform essentially the same service, to maintain and provide legal (ie Embossed or raised seal) copies of these records certifying their authenticity and accuracy.

Current state department site shows 4-6 weeks processing time for "Routine" processing.... it should be more than enough time. They don't advertise it, but you can actually start an application as a routine application, then call in and pay the difference in fee over the phone with a credit card and make it an "Expedited" if you feel like its taking too long.

I don't trust the Feds to get my 13 month (at time of sailing)'s passport in time which leaves me with a chance that the original birth certificate is not available.

If your concern is that the Feds won't process the passport and return the birth certificate in time, keep in mind that although you need to bring the original birth certificate to the passport office, you leave a photocopy with them and you get to keep the original. You should have plenty of time to get a passport, even without expediting it. The birth certificate needs to be issued by the city/county/state, and will be signed by a registrar (rather than a doctor or other hospital staff). Most states will let you request a copy of a birth certificate online with a fairly short turnaround.

Official certificates have either a seal or serial number or both. Typically available from state government office but this can vary by state. According to NJ state office, you can get these from local offices and not just them.

More than enough time to get the passport and you could always obtain another birth certificate from the issuing authority or make a photo copy of the birth certificate you send in and keep it as back up. I recall having to send in the original of my birth certificate with my application and it was returned in a separate mailing from the passport, but maybe they've changed that.

A birth certificate comes for the Dept. of Vital Records, in the state a person is born. You should have already received it...usually comes a couple months after a birth....assuming it was a hospital birth. The "certificate of live birth" from the hospital is NOT a "birth certificate".....it must be from the State. Not all BC's have "raised" seals anymore.

If you don't have or can't find the BC your were sent, you have PLENTY of time to order a new one. It can be done online, in most States.

Easy solution: Get another copy from your county/state vital records office. Then you have one to keep and one to send off with passport. Best case scenario: You still get the passport back in time. Worst case scenario: You don't get the passport in time but still have the extra BC. Plus now you have an extra BC, just in case something ever happens to the other, you misplace it, whatever.

The "raised seal" along with things like the Wax stamp with the seal are basically old style ways of making something official. Without the seal, it is not real.

Today, no one is taking a "seal press" to documents. However, other items are used including high tech paper, and water marks, and in bedded seals. Since the child is 1 year old, you probably remember how you got the birth certificate? Did it come at the hospital? If so, than it's the hospital record of birth. Did you get it in the mail from the state? Than it's the Birth certificate.

Yes, you can use it.