Unexpected refund after final payment

dub345

Today I received an $180 credit on my credit card from Celebrity, and the price on the cruise in my reservation is showing as lower than before, even though I am only 45 days out and long past final payment. The price of the cruise is now much higher than what I paid, so it can't be any sort of "best price guarantee."

I could call Celebrity, but worry that they might realize it was a mistake and add the cost back on. Before I do anything, has this ever happened to anyone?

Thanks,

Janet

I’ve received a refund of port fees before but that wasn’t as significant as $180.

That occurred to me, but the ports haven’t changed, and I didn’t pay that much in total for all of the taxes and port fees

Is this a back to back cruise? I got the discount paid back to me a couple of days ago. No explanation. It was for a similar amount,.

I wish I were going on a B2B! But I’m afraid that can’t be it either.

Definitely a mystery.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I booked directly with Celebrity, and don't have a TA. When I looked at my order history it seemed fine. The only thing that has changed is what shows as the price of the cruise, which is $180 lower than on all my statements from Celebrity. It's strange because the price of the cruise has gone up a lot, and long ago, just after I first booked, there was a price drop that I took advantage of. Even if the price did drop, my understanding is that since we're past final payment there would be no refund.

Today I received an $180 credit on my credit card from Celebrity, and the price on the cruise in my reservation is showing as lower than before, even though I am only 45 days out and long past final payment. The price of the cruise is now much higher than what I paid, so it can't be any sort of "best price guarantee."

I could call Celebrity, but worry that they might realize it was a mistake and add the cost back on. Before I do anything, has this ever happened to anyone?

Thanks,

Janet

Call them! You would want them to call you to correct a mistake I hope! You may get a nice surprise that they indeed were refunding you $$$ for 'x' reason.

We have received fuel surcharges back from Celebrity on a few of our cruises over the last few years, as we book and pay anywhere from 1 to 2 years out. They have been significant amounts also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uh, no. Celebrity has not had a fuel surcharge in place for over ten years.

We have received fuel surcharges back from Celebrity on a few of our cruises over the last few years, as we book and pay anywhere from 1 to 2 years out. They have been significant amounts also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been cruising Celebrity for 6 years & have never had a fuel surcharge. If there had been a surcharge it would have been on the original invoice and easy to identify the amount as the amount of the refund to the credit card.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to call Celebrity, and they told me it was a credit for an overpayment - originally triggered when they applied the Go Better package to my account. Apparently that did something to the invoice so that I did not receive the the sale price on the cruise. I've had to contact them several times when I tried to change something on my reservation through the website, which in turn messed up the entire reservation/pricing, so perhaps this is a result of one of those incidents.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to call Celebrity, and they told me it was a credit for an overpayment - originally triggered when they applied the Go Better package to my account. Apparently that did something to the invoice so that I did not receive the the sale price on the cruise. I've had to contact them several times when I tried to change something on my reservation through the website, which in turn messed up the entire reservation/pricing, so perhaps this is a result of one of those incidents.

Being in IT since 1979 I'd hope their audit process just found a mistake and you benefited from it. It would show they are improving the website. :D

Great that Celebrity is refunding you for the overcharge error. It is always nice to read/hear about companies doing the right thing and in this case doing some form of audit and correcting a mistake.

Enjoy your cruise!

I got $60.00 back last week via a $2.xx credit and a $57.xx credit to my card. I'm past final payment and was perplexed so I called my TA and he was equally perplexed; I've opted to stop asking questions! Interestingly, during this same time I upgraded from ocean view to AquaClass and didn't pay a thing but now I'm wondering that even though I was past final payment I was refunded some of the difference (in my favor) even though I don't think that was suppose to happen. But if that was the case I should have gotten more than $60.00 back.

Edited by lilalila

One suggestion when this sort of thing happens is to double check your taxes and port fees by comparing your new invoice to your old one. I have a cruise booked on Eclipse in Dec and discovered a tax error when due to a rate adjustment my cruise rate was lowered, but not my taxes. (What was listed on the Celebrity website was lower than what my invoice indicated) At first Celebrity said there was no error, but at the urging of my TA they took another look and realized there was an error and the rate was adjusted accordingly.