Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LockwoodGrace

Do you choose a certain cruise if smoking is allowed in Casinos

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2018 at 4:02 AM, Casino Comp Chick said:

Carnival tried a non smoking ship, quickly reversed that rule due to lack of bookings. Revel tried that in Atlantic City and went bankrupt.

They both found out the hard way that is not true.

 

The Harrah's in New Orleans is non-smoking due to a city regulation.  They have opened a couple of smoking courtyards that have some slots but it seems they have still lost some revenue due to the non-smoking in the totally beautiful main casino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the problem is that most of the people smoking in the casinos are not gamblers. They just come to the casino to smoke. Hopefully, this will be addressed at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, spunks said:

the problem is that most of the people smoking in the casinos are not gamblers. They just come to the casino to smoke. Hopefully, this will be addressed at some point.

Exactly!  Smokers will sit in the casino when it’s not even open and no one does anything.  Celebrity hasn’t lost passengers since going smokeless.  RCI should follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

We just changed bookings from a ship that has a moderate smoking policy in the casino (slots, some smoke-free nights, inconsistently administered on HAL, Koningsdam) to a ship that has a fully smoke free casino (Celebrity).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a smoker and gambler. Pack a day for over 70 years. I respect the non smokers. I stay out of their area and expect them to stay out of mine. 

 

What upsets me is the few who wander into the smoking areas and start to preach to us about how bad it is. Case in point.

 

In an attempt to cut down a bit, I tried vaping. I enjoy sitting on the fantail (in the smoking area) and watching the sunrise. A lady was jogging one deck above. Every time she came around, she would slow down and glare at me. Finally she had enough, stormed down the stairs and started telling me that my smoke was blowing into her face while she was jogging. 

 

She was in no way polite and told me to put my cig out. Nasty. I pointed out the sign for the smoking area. She started shouting at me to put it out. She didn't care because I was impacting her health. WELL?

 

I slowly took a big drag on my smoke. She did notice that it lit up blue, and I just dropped it into my shirt pocket. She just huffed "well" and stormed off. Never saw her again and my sunrise mornings were peaceful again.

 

If you are a non smoker, I don't need your preaching. I smoke in the smoking areas. You don't like that? Don't presume to tell me how to live my life and I won't tell you how to live yours. OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 3:09 PM, sellwingri said:

Exactly!  Smokers will sit in the casino when it’s not even open and no one does anything.  Celebrity hasn’t lost passengers since going smokeless.  RCI should follow suit.

They lost me and my extended family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 10:26 AM, Harry and Lucille said:

I am a smoker and gambler. Pack a day for over 70 years. I respect the non smokers. I stay out of their area and expect them to stay out of mine. 

 

What upsets me is the few who wander into the smoking areas and start to preach to us about how bad it is. Case in point.

 

In an attempt to cut down a bit, I tried vaping. I enjoy sitting on the fantail (in the smoking area) and watching the sunrise. A lady was jogging one deck above. Every time she came around, she would slow down and glare at me. Finally she had enough, stormed down the stairs and started telling me that my smoke was blowing into her face while she was jogging. 

 

She was in no way polite and told me to put my cig out. Nasty. I pointed out the sign for the smoking area. She started shouting at me to put it out. She didn't care because I was impacting her health. WELL?

 

I slowly took a big drag on my smoke. She did notice that it lit up blue, and I just dropped it into my shirt pocket. She just huffed "well" and stormed off. Never saw her again and my sunrise mornings were peaceful again.

 

If you are a non smoker, I don't need your preaching. I smoke in the smoking areas. You don't like that? Don't presume to tell me how to live my life and I won't tell you how to live yours. OK?

 

On 2 occasions I had non smokers banned from the casino as well as other instances with non smokers on the Breakaway

One day I was camped out at the QH’s, (the right aisle corner machine) for at least 6-7 hours in the smoking section. My ashtray was on the right side of my machine and I had a woman sit down playing her little 30 cent bets and she reaches over across my machine to grab my ashtray, and says “This is disgusting” and as she reached over she hit the 60 cent bet....well I went berserk on her. I started screaming at her that if she didn’t like smoking stay the F out of the smoking section & if that bet would have hit 9 QH she was not going to leave that ship without paying me $7500. The slot attendants all came running over and after I told them what happened the woman was ejected from the casino for the rest of the sailing. 

Another guy...again same scenario, same machine, same amount of hours sitting there. Guy comes in and sits at the X free game machine (2nd from left) and his non smoking friend who was not playing sits at the QH next to me and starts talking crap to me, At first I point out that he is in the smoking section and if he didn’t like it, he could leave, then he got nasty with me, so I got nasty back and said @§<¥§£ your not even playing, so he starts yelling, I start yelling, the friend of his who is playing looks like he wants to crawl under a rock, the attendants come over and they remove him from the casino. The next day I was in the casino and the friend tracked me down to apologize, it turns out the 2 of them got into that night because he knew his friend was out of line. 

 

On a few other occasions I have had people waving their hands in my face like they are trying to bring in a 747 and in every instance I have either said to them if their hands get any closer I would break it for them or I have just blown smoke directly in their faces. That is usually all I have to do for them to just leave.

 

When I play in the non smoking section I do not smoke so if a non smoker comes into the smoking section follow the rules as smokers do in their part of the casino and just shut up about smokers. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Casino Comp Chick said:

 

On 2 occasions I had non smokers banned from the casino as well as other instances with non smokers on the Breakaway

One day I was camped out at the QH’s, (the right aisle corner machine) for at least 6-7 hours in the smoking section. My ashtray was on the right side of my machine and I had a woman sit down playing her little 30 cent bets and she reaches over across my machine to grab my ashtray, and says “This is disgusting” and as she reached over she hit the 60 cent bet....well I went berserk on her. I started screaming at her that if she didn’t like smoking stay the F out of the smoking section & if that bet would have hit 9 QH she was not going to leave that ship without paying me $7500. The slot attendants all came running over and after I told them what happened the woman was ejected from the casino for the rest of the sailing. 

Another guy...again same scenario, same machine, same amount of hours sitting there. Guy comes in and sits at the X free game machine (2nd from left) and his non smoking friend who was not playing sits at the QH next to me and starts talking crap to me, At first I point out that he is in the smoking section and if he didn’t like it, he could leave, then he got nasty with me, so I got nasty back and said @§<¥§£ your not even playing, so he starts yelling, I start yelling, the friend of his who is playing looks like he wants to crawl under a rock, the attendants come over and they remove him from the casino. The next day I was in the casino and the friend tracked me down to apologize, it turns out the 2 of them got into that night because he knew his friend was out of line. 

 

On a few other occasions I have had people waving their hands in my face like they are trying to bring in a 747 and in every instance I have either said to them if their hands get any closer I would break it for them or I have just blown smoke directly in their faces. That is usually all I have to do for them to just leave.

 

When I play in the non smoking section I do not smoke so if a non smoker comes into the smoking section follow the rules as smokers do in their part of the casino and just shut up about smokers. 

 

 

 

Had someone cross the deck of h2o to yell in my face "for Christ's sake stop smoking". I replied for Christ's sake stop eating since he was about 300lbs.  We all have are vices and don't point out mine if you can't handle me pointing out yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Oceangal711 said:

Had someone cross the deck of h2o to yell in my face "for Christ's sake stop smoking". I replied for Christ's sake stop eating since he was about 300lbs.  We all have are vices and don't point out mine if you can't handle me pointing out yours.

 

Exactly 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take a friend in the casino that is dying with lung cancer. I usually play machines far away from him because the smoke kills my sinus. my only problem is the ashes all over the buttons after he plays. He doesn't see it as a problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off a 10 day HAL cruise (Zuiderdam) and i didn't realize until after we booked it that after dry-dock last year they converted the casino to non-smoking (HAL's website wasn't clear about this).The only smoking area on the whole ship was Lido, rear pool area. (casino was 2nd level, forward). That was a long haul everytime i went up for a cigarette!!!  I made the best of it, but i'll admit that in the future i'll make sure the casino has a smoking area before booking. I'm sure the non-smokers love a non-smoking casino, i get it, but fwiw - the casino was pretty dead all week.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's difficult when no smoking or using ecigs is allowed anyplace INSIDE on HAL ships.  :classic_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh darn, thank you for sharing about the Zuiderdam, I did not know that HAL changed the casino to non-smoking. We did a 12-day British Isles cruise on her in 2017, and was in the casino every evening because the aft deck area was COLD at night. I wonder if they allow smoking in the casino on their new ship, the Nieuw Statendam? Hubby was interested in their new Rolling Stone Rock'n'Roll lounge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Oh darn, thank you for sharing about the Zuiderdam, I did not know that HAL changed the casino to non-smoking. We did a 12-day British Isles cruise on her in 2017, and was in the casino every evening because the aft deck area was COLD at night. I wonder if they allow smoking in the casino on their new ship, the Nieuw Statendam? Hubby was interested in their new Rolling Stone Rock'n'Roll lounge. 

I talked to someone yesterday who just got off the Statendam after it's second voyage. She said the casino was no smoking....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, thank you so much for checking, not happy to hear about the change to no-smoking casinos on HAL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ajtaylor29 said:

I talked to someone yesterday who just got off the Statendam after it's second voyage. She said the casino was no smoking....

Although all the information i see from HAL boards clearly states that the casino DOES allow smoking.....so i'm not sure who to believe!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

Just got off a 10 day HAL cruise (Zuiderdam) and i didn't realize until after we booked it that after dry-dock last year they converted the casino to non-smoking (HAL's website wasn't clear about this).The only smoking area on the whole ship was Lido, rear pool area. (casino was 2nd level, forward). That was a long haul everytime i went up for a cigarette!!!  I made the best of it, but i'll admit that in the future i'll make sure the casino has a smoking area before booking. I'm sure the non-smokers love a non-smoking casino, i get it, but fwiw - the casino was pretty dead all week.....

 

I just got some nice offers from HAL, and was just about to book the Zuiderdam last night.  I am so thankful I poked around CC first and saw your post.  It's a damn shame as we really enjoyed the Zuidy, but no smoking in the casino is a deal breaker for me.

 

I won't sail Celebrity ever again (for many reasons!) and now I guess I have to check on a ship by ship basis before I book anything.  What worries me is they are likely to change the policy after we book.  I need to see what's going on with NCL, as I have one scheduled for June.  

Edited by dznymom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCL still has smoking in their casinos.  The Bliss actually was built with an entire enclosed section for smokers.  We haven't seen it yet but the pictures of the casino look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...