Get Your Flu Shop Please - Get all of your shots !

TTraub1250

This new Flu shot is suppose to be more effective than last year !

For those over 65 there is a new shingles shot that is 90%+ effective, but it is in very short supply and a waiting list at most places.

Also, all you grandparents that like to hug the little ones, and tell them you love them.... great.... just don't give them some disease please!!!:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I got the new flu shot . I had a shingles shot 7 years ago .Can I get a second ?

Are there any side effects to taking the shot ?

Working in retail pharmacy here I can say the general side effect of the Shingrix is that it hurts. Not like.. oh I am sore after that flu shot, I mean HURTS for 6-48 hours afterwards.

Then again, most people also then say, I had the singles before (you can get it over and over again) and anything is worth not having shingles!

Currently the back order of Shingrix is very long though, so get on waiting lists now IMO. I work in a large regional pharmacy chain, and we are one of the smaller ones. Our current waiting list is about 5-6 months if we keep getting the 10 that each store gets a month in. Also because of the back order, the CDC recently upped the time to get the 2nd shot saying you do not need to restart. No time frame yet, but we will probably hear one soon.

As for the Flu shot, well everyone in our pharmacy gets it within the first week of getting our first shipment for the year. Yeah... 4-5 interns in full time college and dealing with people who have been diagnosed with the Flu for the rest of the year? Not a single one of us has gotten the flu in the 4 years I have worked there. So I would say for sure that it doesn't loose effectiveness because well if it does, we would all have the flu by January or February if that is the case.

I never get a flu shot and haven't gotten the flu in 20 years. We way over vaccinate in this country. Don't even get me started

Just like insurance - you don't need it until you need it!

We don't over vaccinate in this country. We over medicate. And that is partially due to some people not being adequately vaccinated. No need to be proactive when you can have your pick of a slew of medications to treat what could have been prevented in the first place. :rolleyes:

I am personally glad that some states are passing laws to curb this foolish anti-vaccination movement. As it stands now, the smart ones need to get vaccinated to prevent catching diseases from the idiots that avoid vaccinating against diseases that should be completely defeated by now. Mumps, measles, whooping cough and chicken pox are making comebacks because of selfish anti-vaccinators.

http://time.com/27308/4-diseases-making-a-comeback-thanks-to-anti-vaxxers/.

Edited by sloopsailor

Travelling from Australia to Spain next week. We had our flu shots 4 months ago but now I am wondering if we would be best to get a booster? Wondering if we need additional vaccinations? I'd rather be safe than sorry or sick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Travelling from Australia to Spain next week. We had our flu shots 4 months ago but now I am wondering if we would be best to get a booster? Wondering if we need additional vaccinations? I'd rather be safe than sorry or sick.

How did you get your flu shot 4 months ago? The vaccine for 2018-2019 just got released for use a little bit ago.

They have to figure out the strain and then produce it for the year.

You might want to talk to your doc and get revaccinated if this is the case.

How did you get your flu shot 4 months ago? The vaccine for 2018-2019 just got released for use a little bit ago.

We don't have to point out that Australia (along with the rest of the Southern Hemisphere) is at the tail end of winter, do we?

Just like insurance - you don't need it until you need it!

We don't over vaccinate in this country. We over medicate. And that is partially due to some people not being adequately vaccinated. No need to be proactive when you can have your pick of a slew of medications to treat what could have been prevented in the first place. :rolleyes:

I am personally glad that some states are passing laws to curb this foolish anti-vaccination movement. As it stands now, the smart ones need to get vaccinated to prevent catching diseases from the idiots that avoid vaccinating against diseases that should be completely defeated by now. Mumps, measles, whooping cough and chicken pox are making comebacks because of selfish anti-vaccinators.

http://time.com/27308/4-diseases-making-a-comeback-thanks-to-anti-vaxxers/.

Timely discussion, as September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. The kids who undergo bone marrow and stem cell transplants have lost their childhood disease immunity and can’t get reimmunized for a year or longer. Please think of them when you choose to ignore any immunization that is available to you and your kids.

https://www.chop.edu/childhood-cancer-awareness-month/facts-about-childhood-cancer-infographic

Shingle shot is supposed to last for many years before you need a booster. Check with your doctor.

Yes, check with your doctor, as the (some) old vaccine was found not to be sufficiently preventative enough and there is recommendation to get the new vaccine. In Canada, we are being advised to revaccinate against shingles. Of course, who knows whether that is preventative enough? Sometimes things are rolled out before adequate research and time is taken.

Shingle shot is supposed to last for many years before you need a booster. Check with your doctor.

The new Shingrix shot is more effective than the old Zostavax shot, but the new shot requires two injections 2 to 6 months apart.

Even if you received the Zostavax shot in the past the CDC is recommending adults over 50 get the Shingrix shots.

Ordinarily I'd say getting a flu shot is mostly the indiviual's own decision and risk, but in my opinion joining the isolated population of a cruise ship for several days without all of one's vaccinations places the greater shipbard population at risk.

I have traveled extensively, and lived for a year at a time in some very remote/developing parts of the world. My company paid for their research, recommendations ( 7-9 page document for each area visited), and shots/meds provided by "Passport Health". I highly recommend them and will pass on their advice to many fellow travelers. My doc's office could not get the Flu vaccine until early Oct, and advised me to get it from one of the drug store clinics, which in our western New York State, they are all issuing the Flu vaccine. So maybe you get the Flu or maybe you don't, from one of the 5000 passengers and crew members, and if the flu does not becoming severe in you, but you pass it to a relative, and they suffer, is that something you are willing to live with, or hunt around to get the shot ? We are a very generous society with our money to help people, we should not be generous with our diseases ! Give the $ to help, and keep the disease to yourself... better yet, get the shot and never get it !

We target between Halloween and (US) Thanksgiving for our flu shot. There is some concern that flu immunity in older folks might begin to wear off after about four months.

The CDC says it's worse not to get the shot at all than to get it too early, so they'll never advise waiting to get the shot.

We just pick a time and go to Minute Clinic.

What is a minute clinic?

Minute Clinic is a standalone walk-in minor care facility (vaccinations, blood testing ,etc) located inside many CVS locations. They're staffed by a nurse practitioner or physican's assistant, which is preferable to me over getting a flu shot from a pharmacist (no offense to pharmacists). Since they're NPs or PAs they can also diagnose and treat minor illnesses including writing prescriptions, although I would visit my local Primary Care Physician for that if possible.

They accept most insurance and prescription plans. I don't have to pay for my annual flu shot there. I'm not sure about the cost of Shingrix, but that's probably more a function of one's insurance coverage.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic

I never get a flu shot and haven't gotten the flu in 20 years. We way over vaccinate in this country. Don't even get me started

Never got the Flu.. great, you have an immune system better than most... can you say you never passed the flu to someone ? You know there are many diseases that you can be a "carrier" and never show the symptoms of the disease / suffer from it. Wait till you get a little older and your great immune system weakens.....

This new Flu shot is suppose to be more effective than last year !

For those over 65 there is a new shingles shot that is 90%+ effective, but it is in very short supply and a waiting list at most places.

Also, all you grandparents that like to hug the little ones, and tell them you love them.... great.... just don't give them some disease please!!!:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Thank you for mentioning the new shingles vaccine. I hadn't heard about it before.

CDC fact sheet on the new vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/fact-sheets/shingles-factsheet-adults.html

Apparently, the old vaccine was about 50% effective, i.e. it reduced shingles cases by about half. Also it was less effective in those over 70. The new vaccine effectiveness is in the mid to high 90%, i.e. it reduces the risk of getting shingles to less than a tenth of the risk without it. Also, that effectiveness holds regardless of age. Both vaccines also reduce the incidence of getting long term nerve pain for those who get shingles but the new vaccine is much more effective at that too and its protection lasts longer.

Had my flu shot already. Available and recommended September 1 at my doctor’s office.

Dr. also recommended re-doing shingles shot. Had shingles and also the old shot. New shot is waitlisted at my clinic/pharmacy. It’s also expensive. I have a Medicare Advantage plan and copay is $160 for each shot and you need two shots.

What diseases are transmitted by hugging and telling people you love them?

A newborn infant recently contracted whooping cough from someone who kissed it. The baby died from whooping cough.

Welcomed first grandchild recently. Had a DPT booster a few weeks before he was born so I could safely have close contact with him.

They have to figure out the strain and then produce it for the year.

You might want to talk to your doc and get revaccinated if this is the case.

I got the new flu shot in June from my Oncologist.