Just an observation

Mr.Sunshine

Reading posts on various subjects makes me realize that there is no way of trying to figure out 1) which cruise company 2) which itinerary 3) what time of year to travel 4) water levels 5)clothes to pack and finally 6)all the other little things one thinks about.

I have done 20+ ocean cruises and now 2 river cruises on 2 different river boat companies. They were both excellent experiences and much different than ocean cruises. I never expected the same type of vacation and that’s exactly what I received. I booked my last river boat trip on the Danube never thinking that my trip would be redirected due to water levels. I don’t blame the company, they did their best. I guess my point is that this is a vacation. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Completely agree! We board in October and we are just going to “go with the flow” .. pardon the pun . . Hopefully there will be some flow along the waters.. if not, then the adventure continues along a different vein! Que sera sera ☺️ We’ll make the most of it while we’re there.

Mr Sunshine

Totally agree as well. Research, research, research is my motto. While work schedules can dictate when one can and cannot vacation - as with all purchases - the more informed you are there is less chance of disappointment and frustration. Yes unexpected weather can wreak havoc on ones travel plans - but a river cruiser who books in spring and summer should be aware that water levels are issues during those times - same as cruising the Caribbean from late August thru early November...aka hurricane season! Before I booked my first river cruise - I researched for weeks reading as much as I could about sailings, reviews, cruise lines, etc so that I could hopefully choose a line and sailing that would be a good "match". Happy to say our first river cruise will certainly not be our last - it was everything we expected and more!

• 1 month later...

Research yes. Always amazed at how many people I meet on holidays ( cruises, river cruises , land content etc) that have NO IDEA about their accommodation, what is included, where the trip stops, excursions and what you see on them etc .. I’m surprised that they had enough brains to find their way to the ship/ airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Just interested - how can you change a train ride? Isn't it on the rails?

So many variables, often an engine wouldn't arrive (it would be allocated to freight)(more money in freight), so you would leave later than expected, thus impacting on the days touring. Freight would get priority on single lane tracks.  At border crossings, tourists /staff had their visa's/ paper work but the accompanying vehicles hadn't been cleared and staff had gone home for the day.

We had a great trip, going back in 2019 for  a different journey. And yes , re river cruising - if you expand my signature they are all there, 9 river cruises, 8 rivers and 1 booked for 2020, from 2 nights to 14, I think.  I have never been on a "bad" holiday,  I am sure each one has had something unexpected happen. We never get to do everything we would like to. I research and make lists of things to do/places to visit, if we manage to fit in half, we are happy.