Nassau and Stirrup Cay Questions...

dreamingofoz

I asked about this on the Bahamas forum, but did not get an answer. I will be cruising with my 3 year old grandson in January 2019. Two of our stops are Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay.

In Nassau, I was thinking of going to the Pirate Museum. My grandson loves Arg's as he calls them. To anyone that has gone to this museum before, is it something that a 3 yr old would enjoy?

Next question is about the Stingray Encounter out of Great Stirrup Cay. Any experiences on this excursion with a toddler? I wasn't sure about the water depth. Since I will have to hold him, I will not be able to swim. I am 5'9. Is the water too deep to just walk through? He LOVES the stingray touch tank at our local zoo. So I am not concerned about him being afraid of them.

Any insight is greatly appreciated:)

I would think most 3 year olds wouldn't enjoy the stingrays...he'd have to be held the entire time.

Great Stirrup Cay is a beach day...no need for any pricey excursions. Bring a cup, and a spoon and let the tyke dig on the beach, splash in the water...use the trees as the mast of a pirate ship...in other words...let them use their imagination and play!

You will need to look at the age restrictions on any organized excursion. Generally for water based activities they are quite old.

I would also consider what type of pirates your grandson likes. If it is Jake and the never land pirates or Pirates of the Caribbean. The I have never been to the pirate museum, but would assume a graphic version of the latter is what you will find there. I am not sure I would have taken my boys at 3. For mine at 3 it was less see and much more DO (still is at 11 and 9). I would look for activities and things he can actually do while in port.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've taken my 3 yo on a stingray excursion in Grand Cayman and I don't know that I would recommend it. 

She's tall, strong, active and has been swimming at least weekly since she was born, so she's not afraid of water or water creatures. The stingray petting tank at the local aquarium is very familiar to her, she can name multiple kinds of stingrays, etc.

And even so, the water was too rough/deep to let her really control her own paddling around and the stingrays are pretty huge. She loved riding the boat and when we stopped for some shallow water snorkeling and paddled around that was pretty great. We had more fun beaching and swimming than with the stingrays. She was just too physically little to really enjoy it, and she's 99% for height, 95% for weight. 

19 hours ago, TheLadyK said:

I've taken my 3 yo on a stingray excursion in Grand Cayman and I don't know that I would recommend it. 

We did that excursion prior to having a kid, and I am a good swimmer.... The water was pretty rough and the waves kept knocking me down (I am 5'6). We enjoyed ourselves, but there is no way I'd bring a 3 yo even if they know how to swim. My son will be 8 when we cruise in 2 months, and has had swimming lessons last year - so, we are taking him to the Blue Lagoon stingray encounter in Nassau. He'll still have his inflatable floaties or a vest on, because it may be too deep for him.

To OP: are the kid's parents also coming on the cruise, or is it just you with a 3 yo granddaughter? If they are coming, perhaps, they have other plans for her?