Carnival Vista - Not great reviews?

HarryKane

Howdy guys,

I was about to pull the trigger on a vista cruise out of galveston texas earlier but when I checked the reviews on here they don't seem to be very good for the vista. People complaining saying ship is simply too big and feels overcrowded etc etc.

There's only been one Vista cruise out of Galveston so far, so that much is probably unreviewable. The Vista has fans and enemies, so I guess you need to decide whose review you're reading. Some long-time Carnival loyalists say it's the one ship they won't sail on. I always ask, when they say that, how they feel about the Triumph.

We’re flying to Houston IAH George Bush Intercontinental Airport and from there we will have a three night stay before we board the cruise. Any ideas of nice affordable family places to stay, near the beach or with a good pool? Is it best to stay in the Galveston area?

One of the disadvantages of Galveston is the distance to the airports.

Galveston is usually pricey. You can rent a car and find a hotel that has free parking for the cruise, if you do some looking.

We live in Texas and go down the day before, but we only go as far as Nassau or so, which is on the south side of Houston. We once stayed at a pretty reasonable hotel just across from NASA. If you want to tour that facility, that would be a good choice for your first night.

There are a lot of good places to eat in Galveston, too. When are you planning to cruise?

Actually, I guess Texas is a little like the Vista. Very big, not ideally laid out, and not for everyone. And noisy. (Except at my house, which is so quiet I can hear boats on the lake 5 miles away, and hummingbirds chirping in the yard.)

What does "top" mean?

the poster before you said she was at a ten top. table for 10 people. i prefer a little smaller. IDK if you can still request small, medium or large tables.

I did see someone's review that said they were all mad about vista because they didnt get the table for 2 they requested.

Since there is no place to request a 2 top, all your booking agent can do is place a note on your booking that might or might not get read, and according to how many cruise days you have you might get it.

Getting mad because you told your booking agent you wanted a 2 top that there is no place on the form to put, maybe they can check small table, at most, i dont remember if its carnival or rcl lets you choose from 3 sizes, but saying i requested a 2 top and my request not honored ... someone doesnt understand what can and cant be done.

While I haven't cruised on the Vista I did spend some time looking around the ship Sunday. I carried the Nikon and have assembled some of my photos in a 5 min video. It's different, really different. Opinions are like... well, you know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yilymwwdbplrses/Vista%20Tour%202018.mov?dl=0

Click the above Dropbox link, and then click guest. Full Screen is an option.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

There's only been one Vista cruise out of Galveston so far, so that much is probably unreviewable. The Vista has fans and enemies, so I guess you need to decide whose review you're reading. Some long-time Carnival loyalists say it's the one ship they won't sail on. I always ask, when they say that, how they feel about the Triumph.

Not sure I understand the tie to the Triumph.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmm. there are only 2 hotels near the strand, and only one walking distance to the port, named Tremont House. You can watch the ship come in from this hotel. Its some old historic exensive hotel.

tbh almost all the other hotels are mostly along SeaWall. The Holiday Inn has a shuttle to the port, but i hear its always late. The Hotels along SeaWall Blvd are across from a beach where there is a wide boardwalk to walk along the beach. I stay on Seawall Blvd on the other side from the port. Its about 3 miles across to the port, too far to walk. Id say a taxi was $30 last time.

tons of good hotels along SeaWall, though I hear Tremont is very nice, its about $300 for my date for Vista.

Plenty of mexican, heck im happy with Taco Cabana, their margaritas are good, its near the Quality Inn, There is a better mexican restaurant in the parking lot of Quality Inn on Sea Wall, though Quality Inn is a bit down from the "Pleasure Pier", which is down around the Holiday inns, some pier where they have a bunch of rides and stuff.

Harbor House is right by the port and the Strand. If you get a corner room you get a great view of ships going up and down the channel.

Not sure I understand the tie to the Triumph.....

The Triumph is the single most unpopular ship in the Carnival fleet. Some even refer to it as "the cursed ship." If they say the Vista is the one ship they won't sail, that means they're really serious about it, if they are willing to keep the Triumph in mind.

The Triumph is the single most unpopular ship in the Carnival fleet. Some even refer to it as "the cursed ship." If they say the Vista is the one ship they won't sail, that means they're really serious about it, if they are willing to keep the Triumph in mind.

The one incident aside, comparing the two in any context is just silly.

Who cares ,it's still the least popular ship in the fleet .:D

Where does one find these facts on popularity? All mute, as she will be redone and come out as the Sunrise. Now we can move on to the same ole bull about it is not a new ship yada yada yada

Where does one find these facts on popularity? All mute, as she will be redone and come out as the Sunrise. Now we can move on to the same ole bull about it is not a new ship yada yada yada

Good Morning ,I was wondering when you were going to jump in ;p.

Sunrise will be interesting to say the least. You do remember they were going to make that change way back then ,but decided to delay it. As for the newer ships. I do feel the direction Carnival is headed wont fully come to play until a decade or so later.

Will I sail the Sunrise, sure . The facts you're looking for is posted all over facebook and these boards. Do your homework jimbo .:D

Ive been on triumph a ton of times, cruising from New Orleans and Galveston. I once thought i was getting a great cabin, one of those big aft facing OVs in the very back. I found this ship had a vibration back there not found on other ships, I doubt refitting it will help unless they change whatever kind of thrusters or whatever are back there.

But I love any cruise. If i dont care for a cabin I just tell myself next time to get one elsewhere on the ship.

Good Morning ,I was wondering when you were going to jump in ;p.

Sunrise will be interesting to say the least. You do remember they were going to make that change way back then ,but decided to delay it. As for the newer ships. I do feel the direction Carnival is headed wont fully come to play until a decade or so later.

Will I sail the Sunrise, sure . The facts you're looking for is posted all over facebook and these boards. Do your homework jimbo .:D

The “Sunshine” project was interesting. Carnival was experiencing things (including the Triumph issue as well as Splendor) they had never thought would occur (nor want to) and in a free fall and other lines were in a growth beyond anything seen before. They got creative in Miami and hence the Sunshine. Take what once was the grand dame of the seas and rebirth her into something new (hull and power plants aside). While surprising not many here, she far exceeded my expectations and was the genesis for mNy new directions foe the company. I hope they do the same to the Victory as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ive upgraded from deluxe ocean view to cove balcony - 7C deck 2 I believe.

I loved the cove on the magic so had to get another balcony cabin!

You should absolutely love it.

If you don't get unlucky like we did. We had a heavy pot smoker next to us on the second day of our cruise on to the ending . I mean really rank stuff. They even smoked a few cigars . Calling security does nothing. On debarkation morning we received a letter in our mail box saying they were trying to reach us to discuss the problem.

After all my years of cruising, I still feel Carnival fails miserably when it comes to balcony smokers

Ive upgraded from deluxe ocean view to cove balcony - 7C deck 2 I believe.

I loved the cove on the magic so had to get another balcony cabin!

Wow Deck 2, we will practically be neighbors!!! We have the deluxe ocean view in the Family Harbor area towards the aft of the ship. I wanted to get the cove because I heard so much good about them, but the extra restroom works out better with our little guys.

We have been on the Triumph several times and would not hesitate to go on her several more times. We actually got off the ship the morning the passengers go on for the "Fire Cruise" It's a well maintained older ship that has really good food and the crews have always been great. If you look at my signature, you can see that we have been on more than 25 Carnival cruises along with several other cruise lines, so we are fairly experienced at cruising.

Doug