Captain Kate

charlielinda

wow another person who missed the point!!! and needing to be snippy. I think the point was she was extra friendly with passengers and mixing and mingling. Most Captains have 3-4 backups for the bridge and they need time to get experience. So she chooses to use her time away with the passengers than in her room or behind the scenes. Besides who is to say that she might want to show young women and girls on the cruise that you too can become a captain. She might feel like a role model for them.

I have never thought any captains on any of my 26 cruises had a GOD like complex or anything up their butts. What a silly comment

(Note to self, use more emoticons)

I apologize if you took offense at my post.

This is a positive thread and we all agree Captain Kate is a role model to not only girls and young women but to anyone who is chasing a dream.

I am glad you had 26 great cruises with 26 great captains,and hope you have many more great cruises and captains. I stand by my comments.

Jerome and I are so excited to be back sailing on The Celebrity Equinox over Halloween. My costume this year is a Male Drag Version of Snow White (I'm calling myself "Joe" White, Ha!)

I am really hoping to get a professional photo of Snow and Captain Kate and she is handing me an Apple! Won't that be fabulous? I would love to post that and have it framed in my cruise memory wall.

Every Halloween we cruise and enjoy the festivities and my hair, make up and fabulous fake nails are always done by the real professionals in the Salons on board. Thankfully the Premium Beverage Package gets me thru it!

I think Captain Kate will get a hoot out of it.

Here's a pic of my costume for The 2018 Celebrity Equinox Halloween Party:

3296_snow_white_drag_mens_fancy_dress_costume.jpg

• Like 1

Jerome and I are so excited to be back sailing on The Celebrity Equinox over Halloween. My costume this year is a Male Drag Version of Snow White (I'm calling myself "Joe" White, Ha!)

I am really hoping to get a professional photo of Snow and Captain Kate and she is handing me an Apple! Won't that be fabulous? I would love to post that and have it framed in my cruise memory wall.

Every Halloween we cruise and enjoy the festivities and my hair, make up and fabulous fake nails are always done by the real professionals in the Salons on board. Thankfully the Premium Beverage Package gets me thru it!

I think Captain Kate will get a hoot out of it.

Here's a pic of my costume for The 2018 Celebrity Equinox Halloween Party

You’ve GOT (not Yelling, emphasizing!) to post the photo when you get it. Wow, what a kick!!! Even if you don’t get it with Capt Kate, post one.

One Halloween, my wife and I cross-dresssed as a wedding couple and had a blast. At a dance, a guy came up and asked me to dance and I told him I was a guy.....he said, ‘yeah, I can tell by the mustache!’ We did and we killed it on the dance floor. Beyond fun! Life is full of surprises when you step out of the box we put ourselves in.

Den

• Like 1

I am not sure who started the Captain on the gangway upon exiting but it is a great way to end a cruise. Captain Alex also did it last month on the Millennium.

We had Captain Alex on the Summit. Very personable, and we had the pleasure of spending time with him a couple of times.

Fun guy, to say the least.

I suggest you RE READ my post. I was not trying to get a freebie with HER. I was practically across the room shooting from a distance. And I said that I did not want a photo of me with her. I just was way off to the side. And yes the photographers were very aggressive with me and a few others. So you have the story wrong if you think I was getting a freebie of ME with her. I was not the only one treated meanly by the photographers trying to shoot a photo 50 feet or more away.

How many photographs did you purchase?

I think these photographers are just trying to make a living. They have every right to restrict folks from taking pictures of their sets they set up.

Like Dad always told me... Just because other people are do something, it does not make it right.

l believe Captain Kate will be on vacation starting 11/17/2018 for @12 weeks. speaking from experience she is a gem to sail with!

later,

ezemoney

Excellent! Lynne and I will be on the nov. 5 sailing, her last cruise before vacation. We're very much looking forward to meeting her and hope we get a chance to sit and share a coffee or meal with her!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I LOVE Capt Kate! Very engaging with the staff and guests, a huge presence on social media which is walking and talking advertising for the cruise line, and as my husband says "she's very easy on the eyes" 🙂

Celebrity has many outstanding Captains! There are several I consider friends and we have developed a truly special connection. I have not met Captain Kate, but understand from others that she is a wonderful Captain and more importantly a wonderful person.

Can you really claim that one is "the best" before you've experienced them all?

On 9/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, alcpa1 said:

We have sailed with Capt. Kate three times.

Yes, she is a charmer. Yes, her crews are happier because of her mastery of the sea and ship. Yes, most passengers think she is one of the most personable captains of the fleet.

But we come from a slightly different persepective. She was at the helm of a Summit sailing when two passengers were killed and 4 or 5 more injured in a jitney accident on Tortola. This was not a ship's tour but she was at the hospital before all of the injured even arrived. She dealt with the families in a most compassionate way. She sent the Loyalty Ambassador on shore to assist the families until they were able to make arrangements and travel. She kept the passengers up to date until the affected families left Tortola.

On another sailing her parents were onboard and while we respected their privacy it wasn't hard to tell who they were. They walked around the ship glowing and were as kind to the passengers as Capt. Kate herself.

She is an accomplished captain. She worked hard to achieve her stripes and endear herself to so many. Just ask any officer who has served under her.

I was also on this same sailing and admired the way she communicated the facts about this unfortunate accident and kept guests informed as to how her staff were assisting those families directly affected by this tragedy. Her announcements helped to tamp down the rumors that crop up through the passenger gossip circles.

I also remember her advising us to be on the "lookout" for the green flash at sundown one evening, as she said atmospheric conditions were prime for viewing it.  Sure enough, I took seeing the green flash off my list of things I should experience at least once in my lifetime.

We were on the Summit last year with Captain Kate and the only time we saw her was the 1st Chic night when they introduced her at the show. We had Captain Charis (sp?) this past August and he was great, we had an at sea rescue that he handled great. During the week we saw him all over the ship and was very personable.

Well, from all I am reading here, I am sad for me that the incredible Capt. Kate will not be on board for my Dec 1 cruise.

BUT, I am just as happy that she is getting some vacation time. It sounds like it is very well deserved.

It just means I have to sail on her ship again and get to meet her 🙂

I mean, ANY way I can rationalize a cruise is good for me :classic_biggrin:

Finally, the long awaited Halloween 2018 portrait of JW (cruiseguys) as Snow (Joe) White, being given the poison apple by the incredible Captain Kate, the first American Female Captain of a cruise liner.  Much more to come from Halloween 2018 aboard The Celebrity Equinox.  It was an off the chain, rip roaring event, well planned and executed and attended by hundreds of passengers in costume. 

Captain Kate is an amazing,  articulate,  and one of the most accessible Captains we have ever experienced in our 55 sailings across all cruise lines since 2009. 

We also got the opportunity to meet her adorable kitty cat Bug Naked in person. 

FB_IMG_1541423122839.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:25 PM, GoodScout said:

Excellent! Lynne and I will be on the nov. 5 sailing, her last cruise before vacation. We're very much looking forward to meeting her and hope we get a chance to sit and share a coffee or meal with her!

We sail the Equinox on Nov. 16.  Will she be leaving on the 17th via helicopter?  Hope this date is wrong...really wanted to be onboard with her as captain.

On 9/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, charlielinda said:

I’ve seen many posts about how awesome Captain Kate is and others wondering why she gets so much attention.

We have sailed 10+ times and disembarked the Equinox this morning and I thought I’d give my thoughts.

I know all Captains are very qualified but never have I had a Captain that I could remember their name.

I had a few times to observe her. She attended the Cruise Critic party and was very open and brought senior officers — obviously loved her job and crew (and reads Cruise Critic). One night we saw her having a quiet dinner with guests in the Tuscan Grill; and we attended the Captains Corner with her and other officers. Again, she was delightful and has a wonderful story of following her dreams.

My final observation, and know most lasting, was this morning when she was thanking every single passenger, with a handshake or smile, thanking them for cruising with her and hoped to see them again soon. I have never had that happen before and I thought it was so gracious and wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were aboard from September 14-24. I was very impressed with the captain and you could tell the crew loved her too. They all made us feel like family. I not only thought of Captain Stubin fro the Love Boat but saw on her instagram account that Jack Jones who sang the Love Boat theme song was aboard when we were!

10 hours ago, BosoxI said:

Did she trade places with the al Bacio waitress? 

She helped serve the cappuccinos, espressos, & baked goods for about 30 minutes on sea days from 11-11:30 am. The waitress was still working as well as was the barista.