Final payment and price reductions

Micahs Grandad

Question for you experts in here.

Last week paid in full a week early for a December cruise.

Today is final payment date and looked at pricing and our obstructed o/v is down $ 182 pp.

According to my TA we are ineligible for price reduction after final payment is actually made and not based on final payment date.

Is she correct in this? If so why in the world should anyone pay them early?

Not exactly sure. I had read on these boards of people getting the new price or OBC or an upgraded room.

After final payment on my October cruise, I happen to see a price reduction two times within a day. I usually just say oh well since I am fully aware that price is usually for new bookings. However, I thought lets give it a try. My rockin TA got me the lowest price and I promptly received a credit on my credit card.

My point, ask your TA to give it shot for you!

Many people pay a few days early (our TA does this) in order to avoid any issue with timely processing by waiting until the actual due date.

If the price went up, would you be happy to pay the higher rate?

I had my TA give a call to Princess to get price reduction up to the final payment date more than once. It was never an issue, even when my final payment had already been processed. Got the reduction every time.

Many people pay a few days early (our TA does this) in order to avoid any issue with timely processing by waiting until the actual due date.

If the price went up, would you be happy to pay the higher rate?

OK but if we pay say a few days early less risk of a problem.

Do not think it is fair to go by payment date and not penalty date.

Since some people will cancel around final payment date and cabins get released and perhaps pricing comes down it seems foolish to pay early.

I had my TA give a call to Princess to get price reduction up to the final payment date more than once. It was never an issue, even when my final payment had already been processed. Got the reduction every time.

I've always been told that once final payment has been made, it's a done deal. What am I missing?

Question for you experts in here.

Last week paid in full a week early for a December cruise.

Today is final payment date and looked at pricing and our obstructed o/v is down $ 182 pp.

According to my TA we are ineligible for price reduction after final payment is actually made and not based on final payment date.

Is she correct in this? If so why in the world should anyone pay them early?

As long as you are outside of final payment you can cancel and re-book at the lower price. Final payment is 11:59pm today Pacific Time. Any payments made prior to the deadline are technically deposits.

Here's the catch. When you re-book you loose any promo benefits you may have and get the current fare and promo. Also, some T.A.'s charge a service fee, and some deposits are not refundable. Do the math to see if it is worth it.

As long as you are outside of final payment you can cancel and re-book at the lower price. Final payment is 11:59pm today Pacific Time. Any payments made prior to the deadline are technically deposits.

Here's the catch. When you re-book you loose any promo benefits you may have and get the current fare and promo. Also, some T.A.'s charge a service fee, and some deposits are not refundable. Do the math to see if it is worth it.

This is what my TA is telling me.

Would lose air promo and free tips so not worth it.

I thought and guess I was wrong that if cruise price went down they would refund the difference irrespective of promotions originally booked under.

I thought and guess I was wrong that if cruise price went down they would refund the difference irrespective of promotions originally booked under.

This is where you are wrong, as you realize. You CAN rebook at the lower rate up to the time the final payment is due, but you are rebooking the new "deal," not your old deal at a new price. Yes you will likely lose whatever perks were attached to your old booking, unless they happen to be the same on the new deal. And, if either your booking or the new price happened to be a "flash sale rate" you can't rebook and get it.

This is where you are wrong' date=' as you realize. You CAN rebook at the lower rate up to the time the final payment is due, but you are rebooking the new "deal," not your old deal at a new price. Yes you will likely lose whatever perks were attached to your old booking, unless they happen to be the same on the new deal. And, if either your booking or the new price happened to be a "flash sale rate" you can't rebook and get it.[/quote']

Thank you for setting me straight.

This is what my TA is telling me.

Would lose air promo and free tips so not worth it.

Does the new price offer the same perks/promo that you currently have?

Not exactly sure. I had read on these boards of people getting the new price or OBC or an upgraded room.

After final payment on my October cruise, I happen to see a price reduction two times within a day. I usually just say oh well since I am fully aware that price is usually for new bookings. However, I thought lets give it a try. My rockin TA got me the lowest price and I promptly received a credit on my credit card.

My point, ask your TA to give it shot for you!

(y)(y)I tried it once and got OBC.

We are booked on Regal leaving New York in October, we booked about the time final payment was due so we had to pay in full . A week or two later I noticed a price decrease and because it never hurts to ask I called our TA and brought the decrease to her attention and even she said probably not much we can do but she would call. We not only got money or credit back but also moved up to balcony deluxe so cheaper than our original price. Then alittle later we were contacted with an up sell offer to move us to a mini suite which we took since we were going to have 3 in cabin. The adults at that since our son is 22 we wanted any extra space.

I've always been told that once final payment has been made, it's a done deal. What am I missing?

The final payment DATE that is determined by the cruise line is what they use to base their penalties. Many people (me, included) pay off cruises early, and THAT date is NOT used for penalties, nor does it affect whether you can get a price reduction. I've done this on many, many cruises. The fact that I paid early didn't matter as long as I was currently before the final payment date when I made the change to my booking.