sej67

Why do cruises outside North America generally cost more?

I see some cruises to the Caribbean for under $100/night. I'm looking at an Asia cruise that is north of $200/night. This is excluding port charges, etc., and they're on comparable ships. Why is that?

I can't say specifically but I suspect it boil down to what the market will allow. Passengers considering a European or Asian cruise may have begun their cruise career in Caribbean or Mexican voyages and have set a higher bar for themselves with longer itineraries or more exotic destinations. it may be the logistics to support a ship are more expensive for the line. Or perhaps, as in my career, I set a price point high to make evident the value of my service with the assumption that the end user will sell themselves. Many folks will eschew a competitively priced product or service because they perceive it as less effective or desirable vis a vis the same exact thing with a substantial markup. To your question, a VERY expensive Foreign cruise is way more exotic, exciting and memorable BECAUSE of the cost. Not saying it is right...but everyone needs to make a buck.:evilsmile:

Simple Supply and Demand. In the North American market many ships and lots of competition in Asia limited number of ships and very high demand, most ships sail full. So they can charge more than in North America.

Pending on ship and cabin selection, Alaska sailings are more expensive than Caribbean, as well...

Market forces, to be sure.. also there are bargins to be had on many of these sailings, pending on how and when you book...

bon voyage

[quote name='Bo1953']Pending on ship and cabin selection, Alaska sailings are more expensive than Caribbean, as well...

Market forces, to be sure.. also there are bargins to be had on many of these sailings, pending on how and when you book...

bon voyage[/quote]

I agree you can find bargains on Asian Cruises, I have done a few of them, being located in Asia and able to act last minute. But most American and EU guest cannot book last minute with air fare costs. That said some great deals still available longer out. Princess has a 18 day Australia to Hong Kong Cruise in March for well under $100 per day. Costa has a Singapore to Italy cruise 23 days this winter for under $60 days per day.

Besides supply and demand, you also have to consider the port fees the ship has to pay. Alaska ports asses hefty fees and get away with it, versus the Caribbean ports lower their fees to attract more ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Caribbean is basically the the bargain basement of cruising (with the possible exception of Mexican booze cruises). Competition is fierce, so much so that Princess didn't sail to the Caribbean at all during (I believe) summer of 2018, figuring they could make better profits elsewhere.

Asia, on the other hand, is a newish and growing market and Western cruise lines don't sail there nearly as often. NCL, for example, lists 102 Caribbean cruises and only 10 Asian ones. Princess is, AFAIK, the only line that regularly sells Japan-only cruises (with just a day in Korea or Taiwan). And the sailings often play host to numerous Japanese and Chinese groups. So if you, as we do, want to go on a Japan-intensive cruise, it's no surprise they're relatively high priced.

We've taken just two cruises that did not originate in North America--both from Southampton, England, on Princess ships. Fortunately, our cost per person per day was not that bad. It was the airfare and our costs for our precruise stays in London that added a lot to the total. Plus we spent a lot more on excursions in the ports than we do on Caribbean cruises (none of them through the cruise line).