andythilo

Magellan to Norway Oct 2018

Hi

Myself and my wife are looking to book the Northern Lights cruise on the 28th Oct, primarily for a getaway but also to hopefully see the Northern Lights.

It'll be a budget oriented trip so no fancy cabin, but how are the standard inside cabins? I'm also trying to find out prices for shore excursions but no one seems to want to release pricing till the cruise is booked.

Does anyone also know if drones are allowed? I have trawled the website but find no mention of drones. Laws in Norway are similar to the UK, so it's legal to fly (obviously adhearing to the rules and common sense).

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Hi..

We sailed on the Baltic cruise in September 17. We booked late as we saw an offer...inside , low deck cabin..good budget price. The cabin was not a bad size actually..but quite tired. That didn't matter to us as such.

Quite creaky and once you went to bed you were aware of dripping in the pipe works inside the walls ...suggest you take earplugs if that bothers you.

Small tv ...it worked...Reasonable wardrobe.. Safe...

Bathroom ok considering an old ship..but as with the cabin could have done with a deep clean in some places.

No kettle or tea making facilities... We asked for one but were told, rather curtly, that only outside and above cabins were given them,..we offered to pay ...no chance. Suggest despite what you are told you pop in a small travelling one as if you have one anyway the worst that can happen is they hold it until you disembark back home.

We didn't go on any excursions they looked expensive for what they were and we were glad afterwards as the weather was poor and we managed quite well under our own steam...

If you have booked now....

Don't know if you have been on any other cruise lines, a cruise is what you make of it but I have written a review of our trip...

We tried our best to make the best of it..

If you haven't booked yet...

The above comment still counts of course but we will never ...ever ...book with them again... If we won a prize of a cruise with them we wouldn't go...you will no doubt get loads of pro-Magellan posts now... We can only say how we felt...any questions by all means ask...

Best regards

Hi

Thanks for the reply. There do seem to be mixed reviews. Personally we’re not going expecting luxury. We just want to get away, and hopefully see the Northern Lights. We can take a kettle no issue although I was told all cabins now have them. Not bothered about the TV, my wife reads a lot and I’ll have hundreds of films to watch on my iPad if necessary.

We’ve been on Royal Caribbean and Holland America. Neither I would say were luxury, it’s what you make of it and what your expectations are.

Cheers

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the Northern Lights with P&O. The trouble with excursions is that Norway is an incredibly expensive country which is reflected in the price of the excursions. Think of the price you might expect to pay and then double it! They were certainly the dearest we have ever booked. However you do really need to go on them to make the most of your visit. Hope you manage to see the lights - we were lucky and saw a wonderful display on our evening trip. The organisers know what they are doing and the best place that night to take you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi

We just want to get away, and hopefully see the Northern Lights. We can take a kettle no issue although I was told all cabins now have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that all outside (and above) cabins now have kettles, so we changed a booking from an inside to an outside. Not sure if that is different according to which ship you are on though, we were looking at Magellan. Not convinced you would be allowed to take and use a kettle as the reason may well be to do with the electricity supply on the ship. You would also have to have a kettle checked for safety reasons, even if it is allowed. Best to ask CMV about that, though I am fairly sure self service hot drinks will be available from somewhere on the ship during the daytime.

I would not say you need to go on excursions at every port by any means, e.g. Tromso very easy to DIY as are a number of other ports. You may want to go on a night outing to view the lights (if they are out), which is a night time coach ride to somewhere which is considered to be the most likely place to see them that night and does not have light pollution. You usually get light refreshments when there (e.g. a hot drink and a cake). From what I remember that cost was more than £100 pp for that. As it happens I had to cancel my night trip as I was ill, but I did see them from the ship the next night - I was lucky with that.

If there is a trip form Alta (or wherever you dock in the north) to a Sami village and reindeer sledding, I would recommend that as it was brilliant and the one hour coach ride each way were great as well with the snowy scenery. Again not cheap for the long half day trip (over £100pp), but it would be very difficult to get out of the port towns independently and certainly not to experience something like that.

I agree with Tring. Tromso we too explored ourselves, but we did book the trip to the Arctic Cathedral for a concert in the evening, which was good. We enjoyed the Sami and the reindeer sled ride too, even though it was the most expensive half-day excursion ever! Another excellent trip was to the Ice Hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums