Cabin Question

IBCruisin19

I have a cabin question for all you seasoned cruisers. I have just booked an Alaskan cruise for 2019 aboard the Royal Princess. I have booked a balcony and am in a BB class. My reservation reads that it connects with the room next door (of whom I will not know). It also reads that if the upper is in use, then the balcony door is blocked. I would think this wouldn't be an issue for me as we won't be using it, but the fact that it is an adjoining room is on the same line as the comment about using the upper. So -- if an upper is used in the adjoining room, does that mean my balcony door will be blocked and unusable?? If so, we have a problem -- we booked balcony to USE it, not just view out of it....

Can any one help relieve me??

IBCruisin19...welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here’s a photo showing the 3rd bed being completely recessed into the ceiling & in that configuration it doesn’t block the balcony’s sliding glass door. Connecting rooms have a door near the cabin’s entrance & are locked so the only affect I’ve read about could be slightly more noise from the connecting cabin.

Here is a picture of a standard balcony with the bunk bed recessed (the rectangular outline in the ceiling near the curtains). You can see how that, when the bed is lowered, it would block access to the balcony...

Stateroom C502

11269973666_875857b703_c.jpg

Nothing in the next cabin will affect yours (loud TV/talking an exception). The connecting door is for setting up the two cabins for "family" usage. The same is for the door on the balcony, it can be opened by your Room Steward if requested. As far as the upper berth coming down and blocking your balcony slider, I don't see how. You just have to duck under it to get to the slider door. Once your Steward turns over the room, the upper berth pops back up into the ceiling until the next night.

As far as the upper berth coming down and blocking your balcony slider, I don't see how. You just have to duck under it to get to the slider door.

In triple occupancy balcony cabins here’s the statement for when using the 3rd bed & is why they’re concerned.

Special Notes:

BALCONY BALCONY DOOR BLOCKED WHEN UPPER BERTH IS IN USE

Even though you were able to duck under it to get to the slider door they want to inform passengers of the blockage. It’s like the obstructed view balconies that have no obstructions looking out but do have some obstruction when looking down.

Can you imagine yelling at your neighbor to put the bed up so you can get out on your balcony! :D

Or better yet, get locked out ON the balcony because your neighbor decided to pull the bed down while you were out there.

Okay, yes -- now I know how silly that original question was. ;)

My only concern would be a loud couple or family next door. I check the deck plans to make sure I don't have connecting cabins or, if in a OV or Inside, to make sure it's not a 4 person cabin with bunks on the walls.

As for being locked out... We were in a hotel in Florida and went out onto the patio through the sliding door and shut it behind us. We didn't realize that it locked automagically. The main door was not only locked but we had thrown the extra loop type lock (the secondary lock so it can't be opened even with a pass key) so we couldn't get in that way. The main desk had a very large pair of bolt cutters and said this was a fairly common problem. They had to cut the secondary lock. :o