Cruise Critic Community
aquashores

Self Disembarkation with Luggage

Hello

I am new to Crystal. I always self disembark wheeling my own luggage off the ship on other cruise lines. Does Crystal also allow this?

thanks

While as Muriel notes they do I would just keep in mind that in some ports it might be difficult to do this on your own.

Keith

Hello

I am new to Crystal. I always self disembark wheeling my own luggage off the ship on other cruise lines. Does Crystal also allow this?

thanks

We self-disembarked from the Symphony in NYC last month. (We really didn't get our things packed until nearly 2:00am...another story...) Since we were staying several days in NYC, we left the ship at 9:30am after a nice final breakfast onboard. It was a very short gangway onto the pier, and the off-loaded luggage was located very close to the gangway anyway, so the distance to roll our luggage off the ship was not much further than if it was off-loaded by the NYC longshoremen. Not all ports are this convenient, especially if you have several pieces to roll off the ship.

Rob

Thank you for your replies. I aim to self disembark in Rome. It's on the Serenity: Rome to Rome with stops in France. My understanding is that there will be no need for customs clearance on disembarkation. I am unfamiliar with this port, however I am relatively young and agile but I do appreciate your point that some ports are more difficult to access on foot. I will be arranging a private transfer from ship to airport, hopefully this car will be waiting close to ship.

My greatest concern about self-disembarkation would be the type of gangway in use.

We've self-disembarked with Crystal three times and crewmembers have always helped us with our luggage. In Whittier (Anchorage), the gangway was steep and had the shallow, wobbly metal steps, so the assistance was sorely needed. In Dubai and NYC, we could have managed on our own but the crew still insisted.

When we took our first Oceania cruise earlier this year, we were pleasantly surprised to find that they usually set up two gangways: the typical steep one and another one attached to a ground-level deck so that the gangway was flat.