New Government Fees

crystalaziza

Who knows but nothing can be done about it. It is not the fault of cruise lines, but the fees different ports charge I can remember back in the early part of the century when fees were in the neighborhood of $ 40 to $50 and that included both port charges and taxes. :confused:

This is only somewhat true. While the government taxes are dictated by the ports visited, the port charges are dictated and set by the cruise line. Most people don't realize how much they are because they are shown as part of the over all cruise fare, however, different cruise lines charge wildly different amounts for the same itinerary. Case in point - Carnival charges $159 for a Western Caribbean cruise while NCL charges $200. That makes for quite a difference in the overall amount of the cruise fare.

I’ve looked into this in the past wondering why different lines have different fee amounts. The taxes are the taxes and those don’t vary. Port fees do vary. Examples of why one line might be higher than another; a contract with say port of Seattle to build new facilities. One line might have a sweet heart deal because they’ve signed a contract for many years to come. Another line might be considerably higher because they have a different contract.

This is only somewhat true. While the government taxes are dictated by the ports visited, the port charges are dictated and set by the cruise line. Most people don't realize how much they are because they are shown as part of the over all cruise fare, however, different cruise lines charge wildly different amounts for the same itinerary. Case in point - Carnival charges $159 for a Western Caribbean cruise while NCL charges $200. That makes for quite a difference in the overall amount of the cruise fare.

so you are saying the exact same itinerary the port charges differ? I would question this. I was a TA for many years and that is certainly not the way it was presented to us. I think it is a little more complicated than how you see the situation. The number of passengers also has something to do with port charges.

so you are saying the exact same itinerary the port charges differ? I would question this. I was a TA for many years and that is certainly not the way it was presented to us. I think it is a little more complicated than how you see the situation. The number of passengers also has something to do with port charges.

I am currently a TA and see the "breakdown" of cruise fare for every single cruise I book. The cost of port charges (which are quoted as part of the cruise fare) is wildly different on different cruise lines for the same itinerary. For the most part it is dictated by the length of the cruise with longer cruises having higher port charges. It is not complicated at all, people don't usually realize how much of a difference there is in this charge BECAUSE it is quoted as part of the cruise fare.

Government Tax and Port Fees are two different things..... Government Tax is US based and thus a Congressional Representative would be appropriate

You are completely correct. I think some on here, do not realize, the tax and port charges are 2 different things. One is controlled by the government and the other by the government of the port.

US federal government fees and taxes include a 1/4 of 1% charge on the cruise fare plus the fees charge by DHS for screening you and allowing you back into the US.(its the same calculation for flights). and yes they have been going up...

and lets not give them too many ideas...https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/21/judge-lashes-out-at-airport-drop-off-fees-as-he-releases-road-rage-driver-7966248/