Asking women on this board: What is the BEST walking shoe?

SLSD

Years ago, I wore my Mephisto fisherman (woman) sandals all over the world. But, they are sandals and not always appropriate for various temperatures and places. I've worn Naot shoes the last few years--usually they work for me, but they are not good on cobblestones and the mary jane style doesn't fit with my style.

So--here is my question: Do you have a go to women's walking shoe that you really love? I'm looking for a shoe that looks good while delivering as a practical walking shoe. Does such a thing exist?

(Men, ask your significant others, if they are women, for their take on this issue.)

The only "best" is what you like that works for your feet. If mephisto fit you, why not try a non-sandal style?

I have a few brands that fit me nicely most of the time - Ecco, Taos, abeo, keen shoes and bboot but not sandals and in a half size larger than my norm....So I start with the brands that have worked for me in the past and look at new/different styles.

I have a wideish toe box but not normally a "wide" shoe width, occasional plantar fasciitis, and a moderate arch. Any variation in YOUR foot is going to affect whether or not my brand preferences would work for you ;-)

I found the best walking shoes, without paying a fortune, are the Sketchers -Go Walks. They are the most comfortable slip on walking shoe. Lightweight, you feel like your walking on air. . I switched to them over 4 years ago and very pleased.

Good advice all. I know that what works for one person will not necessarily work for another. I have worn Keen (years ago) and also Echo. I think there is a Sketchers store here in Dallas. I am not familiar with Taos and Abeo, but will look for them.

My Mephisto fisherman sandals are ancient. In fact, I even had them resoled by the company. They are a bit clunky looking, but great shoes. Not exactly what I am wanting to wear right now. Most of the Mephisto walking shoes (at least in the past when I looked at them ) were fairly heavy. Perhaps they have moved onto lighter shoes. I'll have to check.

Ecco for me, sandals, sneakers, heels and court shoes. It is as others have remarked , most sensible stick with the brand which suits your tootsies. My wonky feet need all the help they can get, especially under foot suspension. The materials in the sole and innersole in Ecco shoes do the trick. My most recent purchase is of Ecco Cruise 11 sandals.This style has been updated by narrowing the straps without losing any support and with it's fantastic walking sole is exteremly comfortable . I have just returned home from an 11 day Cruise on Encore and walked 7km most days ashore and no sore feet, wearing sandals and sneakers. I would stick to the "comfort brands", these days the styles are more up market than in the past.

You are so right, it is not a brand thing. But, it is good to start somewhere looking at what has worked for others. I live in Dallas and we have access to almost everything as we are a shopping mecca. I just needed some reminders of what to look at. i had gotten off track and had not been pleased with recent shoes for the purpose of walking.

Kate_AHF. I just purchased a pair of Cloudsteppers to take on a short trip to California. I'll be noticing if they have enough support. They are very comfortable. Recently, I ran across a photo of myself from a trip to San Francisco in 2011. I was wearing a cute pair of flats--no support or cushioning. At that time, they worked just fine for me---but not any more at age 66. I was only 59 then!

If you are looking for a “sneaker” type of shoe......look at a newer company....ON Running from Switzerland. Pretty sure you can find them in Dallas.....we have them here in NJ at our nicer malls & running stores. I wear their Cloudventures.....light, sturdy, lots of traction, and supportive. Great colors.

Kate_AHF. I just purchased a pair of Cloudsteppers to take on a short trip to California. I'll be noticing if they have enough support. They are very comfortable. Recently, I ran across a photo of myself from a trip to San Francisco in 2011. I was wearing a cute pair of flats--no support or cushioning. At that time, they worked just fine for me---but not any more at age 66. I was only 59 then!

SLSD, the Cloudsteppers did have enough arch support for me, and I didn't think they would. They were great for walking around the cities, But..... we spent 10 days in Ireland before the Continent, mostly in the West, and not on pavement, but on rocks and mud. I wore these practically the whole time:

https://www.qvc.com/Vionic-Water-Resistant-Hiking-Sneakers---Cypress.product.A284010.html

Their bulk meant I had to wear them over (Thank you, TSA-Pre for no shoe-shedding through security!) but they were so useful I'll likely take them again this fall, certainly for all the time spent on my feet in Venice. Not pretty, but my feet were dry and not hot & sweaty. However not something you can wear to dinner.

It might not be "brand" related but certain brands are better known for comfort (and marketed as such) and certain brands have a better reputation for lasting longer, as well. Also, different brands are known to be more narrow (aquatalia, cole haan, stuart weitzman) or wider (merrell, birkenstock) in their base models (based on the lasts they use) so if someone gives that sort of information in a question, it can help steer recommendations.

I'm 45 [so, need for comfort isn't necessarily age related, or rather, perhaps it's affected me at a younger age than for others? ;-) ] and haven't been able to wear espadrilles in at least 3 years - that rope sole and complete lack of arch support kills that style for me completely. Which bums me out as I love espadrilles ;-)

IMHO many of the brands that have been listed here are great for trekking or other outdoor adventures. As such the shoes lean more toward the functional end of the spectrum but sacrifice fashion in the process. (For hiking I used to wear Merrill Moabs but switched to Keens a few years ago). But when I am rambling around European towns and villages with their cobblestone streets I want something a bit more attractive without giving up comfort and fit. Recently I have found the cute woven shoes by Bernie Mev do the trick - I can walk for miles without pain but don’t look as though I should be heading toward the local youth hostel rather than Seabourn in the evening. You might want to check them out and see if they work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Based on several recommendations for Sketchers Go Walks, I went to the mall today and bought a pair. Lightweight and very comfortable.

I tried on the Cloudsteppers but unlike my other Clarks, they did not fit well.

Espadrilles, not for me.

A vote for Hotters from England but available in US. https://www.hotter.com/us/en . Tell them you are a new client and you should get a discount.

So very comfortable with replaceable inner soles so "freshen up" shoes seasonally. I've bought sandals, slip-ons; lace ups, and velcro closing. I used the velcro closing shoes when I had to use a foot brace to support my ankle. All were excellent.

Good advice all. I know that what works for one person will not necessarily work for another. I have worn Keen (years ago) and also Echo. I think there is a Sketchers store here in Dallas. I am not familiar with Taos and Abeo, but will look for them.

My Mephisto fisherman sandals are ancient. In fact, I even had them resoled by the company. They are a bit clunky looking, but great shoes. Not exactly what I am wanting to wear right now. Most of the Mephisto walking shoes (at least in the past when I looked at them ) were fairly heavy. Perhaps they have moved onto lighter shoes. I'll have to check.

I had an operation on my foot a year ago and it's still healing but Skechers have been little miracles for me. Last cruise was May next coming up in October and the first things to go in the case will be my Skechers.

I like AllBirds. No, I love Allbirds. Not good for hiking and not the most " support" of any shoe but I love the comfort! highly recommend for pure comfort. I walked all over Greenland and Canada with them, but would not hike in them. I wear them all the time in San Francisco where we live and do lots of walking. For me the support was fine but my hubby said he preferred more support for extensive walking. They do have a bit of arch support and have a liner that can be replaced with inserts if needed. I love, love these shoes! Also really comfy for wandering around the ship! They have three styles - tennis shoes, boat shoes, and slip ons. They come in all different colors. I think they Need to be bought on the internet or in their own stores. They have a store here in SF where we live and run true to size. toebox is slightly wider than the rest of foot so accommodates that issue in the tennis shoe version.

Check them out online at http://www.allbirds.com.

Chairsin, I know what you mean about wanting something a bit more stylish when walking around European cities. I would love to find the best of both worlds.

My 95 year old mother wears Bernie Mev shoes! Most shoes just aren't comfortable for her these days, but she can wear the woven shoes.