NCL: Top Heavy With Officers and Fixation with Officers??

Cruisin_Husker

Having just returned from back-to-back cruises on the NCL Getaway followed by the Carnival Vista, is it just me, or does NCL have officers everywhere you look and also have a fixation with subjecting its guests to introducing at mass gatherings every officer with some role on the cruise, e.g. Hotel Director, Beverage Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Head Chef, Engineer, 2nd Engineer, 3rd Engineer, Head Housekeeper, etc etc....

By contrast, when we we've been on Carnival ships, including on the Vista this week, we rarely see officers in the buffet area or wandering around the ship. We're also lucky to recognize the Captain much less the Staff Captain, Hotel Director, etc. I even looked on the Vista for a picture board of all the officers and there was none (that I could find). There was not a single introduction of the "senior officers" on the ship.

I will say I think the level of service is slightly better on NCL vs. Carnvial--perhaps it's from the rank-and-file crew having an officer looking over his/her shoulder at every moment?

Has anyone else noticed this and do you think NCL is "top heavy?"

Having just returned from back-to-back cruises on the NCL Getaway followed by the Carnival Vista, is it just me, or does NCL have officers everywhere you look and also have a fixation with subjecting its guests to introducing at mass gatherings every officer with some role on the cruise, e.g. Hotel Director, Beverage Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Head Chef, Engineer, 2nd Engineer, 3rd Engineer, Head Housekeeper, etc etc....

By contrast, when we we've been on Carnival ships, including on the Vista this week, we rarely see officers in the buffet area or wandering around the ship. We're also lucky to recognize the Captain much less the Staff Captain, Hotel Director, etc. I even looked on the Vista for a picture board of all the officers and there was none (that I could find). There was not a single introduction of the "senior officers" on the ship.

I will say I think the level of service is slightly better on NCL vs. Carnvial--perhaps it's from the rank-and-file crew having an officer looking over his/her shoulder at every moment?

I applaud NCL for a management philosophy where officers are viable and observant.

On several occasions I've seen an officer immediately intervene to rectify a guest issue; that's only possible because the officer was right there on deck.

Personally I think it's a horrible management style to remain huddled in an office, invisible to guests.

The introductions are their way of letting you know who they are and how they can help, should you need them.

Another thing to consider, there's typically over 4,000 passengers on NCL Getaway and most of them are enjoying unlimited drink packages. Officers on deck are in a better position to spot something that may go wrong.

You should remember officers are also managers, and being visible is just MBWA (management by walking around.)

I appreciate the fact they are visible, and the cruises with visible officers seem to provide better service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As the wife of a chief engineer I never got the interest in the officers. They are just regular people who happened to go to school to run a ship. Trust me, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. And leave them on the floor to be picked up. :)

• Haha 1

Because they are visable on NCL doesn't mean the company is top heavy with officers. I'm sure the same officers exist on Carnival even if you don't see them.

Other than the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, what mass gathering are you referring to? When a number of officers take time out of their busy day to attend, be introduced and invite you to contact them if any service issues occur, how is that a bad thing?

• Like 1

I personally like seeing the officers around a ship. Often when I’ve been in cruises, they’re walking around asking how things are going. On a recent cruise I had an officer (IT dude - poor fella) asked me how the cruise was going and unfortunately I said there was an issue earlier getting off the ship. It was great to see even though not his dept he escalated and they addressed the issue and tried to resolve it. I appreciated that.

When management aren’t visiable they don’t know what their customers are experiencing, I personally think it’s a great idea.

As the wife of a chief engineer I never got the interest in the officers. They are just regular people who happened to go to school to run a ship. Trust me, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. And leave them on the floor to be picked up. :)

My wife says the same thing about me. Back before there were alcohol limits on mariners, only the deck and engine officers wore the white uniforms, and were given an allowance to buy drinks for the passengers as they mingled (getting a free drink for every one they purchased for a passenger). Then came the alcohol limits, and the cruise lines took away the allowance, and consequently the free drinks, and the officers stopped mingling with the passengers. The passengers started complaining that they never saw any officers anymore, so the cruise lines gave all of the hotel supervisors (who used to wear more hotel like uniforms) the white uniform and shoulder ranks. Instant officer presence for the passengers. While my job required my presence in the passenger areas daily, I detested the last night "thank you" show where most officers were required to be present. As another poster said, while my daily rounds of pax areas was a part of my job supervising my staff, the show wasn't, and I'm not sure the guests really liked it.

Maybe I am in the minority but I don't really care to meet the captain and his/her officers. I love the NCL philosophy putting them out front to meet the passengers at meet n greets, cocktail parties and dinners. I know many like and appreciate this. I just am not one of them. We get invited to captains cocktail parties all the time and don't go. Even if you gave me a dinner with the captain, I would politely decline. They have a job to do and I don't expect them to mingle with the passengers. But I know the visibility helps with the brand. I respect them so much that I don't want them to be bombarded with ridiculous complaints or endless questions. One of the few cocktail parties we did attend with the captain reminded us why we should not go. The captain takes photos with the passengers. We did not request this. But we laughed so hard when we saw the photo. All 3 of us (captain included) had the face that none of us wanted to be there. Boy I wish we had bought that photo just to laugh at it.

Don't get me wrong, the meet n greets are terrific but sometimes I feel the crew get over run with dumb and petty stuff. But its par for the course ;)

I guess if you are complaining about this I don't quite understand. To me, the appearance of the officers is truly a good not a bad thing. I love seeing them wandering the ship and truthfully I have often wondered why more cruise lines do not make their officers more apparent. Glad you did find the service slightly better on NCL. that is a plus.

I guess if you are complaining about this I don't quite understand.
Why is it that anyone who even questions something NCL does is considered a complainer? Perhaps you don't "quite understand" because the OP did NOT complain. OP asked a question for which there may actually be an answer.

For the benefit of these boards, please set down your pom-poms and take a moment to accept that not everyone is out to bring down your beloved NCL and it's OK to ask questions about NCL's practices.

To the OP: I've cruised CCL and NCL the most in recent years. I've seen officers paraded out on both lines, I've seen the picture boards on both lines, and generally I have not noticed a difference in officer presence - with one exception. Inaugural Alaska Bliss (June 2) seemed to be crawling with officers everywhere you looked. But, I just consider that a result of a brand new ship, first time to Alaska, etc. I guess in the Bliss case I kind of expected it.

I do think NCL does like their management staff (i.e. officers) to be more hands on and visible. All the ones I’ve met are quick to mention if I have something that I thought needed attention, and couldn’t get a satisfactory response to call them directly. They usually offer a card, or their direct line.

I think that’s a good thing.

I have sailed on other lines where the officers were not as visible as on NCL. I am sure these other cruise lines had officers that were just as competent and just as professional but when I see an officer walking around the ship on NCL it makes me feel a little more secure. It is just nice to see them walking around.

Oh, the NCL officer are visible. Though I do not think that is the same as “top heavy.

For example, when I finish my plate at the buffet on any cruiseline, I am not surprised when somebody comes and offers to clear the plate. That’s nice for me as a diner and better for their work flow, too. On most cruiselines, the person clearing my plate is a staff member or at very most a one stripe officer (rare). On NCL, the person offering to take my plate has included the food&beverage manager and even the hotel director...Almost unnerving to me, but three to four stripe officers will pitch in along side staff on some ships, even with dirty dishes. Different culture, I think. Those other lines have the same officers, they just are manage differently.

I have had some great conversations with officers. As a senior manager in a multinational company, I notice things that go well, and things that don't. And I enjoy seeing how the officers take notice and handle them. And I can see how some of them really enjoy their jobs. Vuk on Breakaway runs a "tight ship" but he has fun with it.

Last CCL we took, honestly I'm not sure I saw an officer or manager of any kind.

First NCL cruise we took,2017, it was rare to NOT see one just about anywhere we were on the ship. At the M&G they were serving drinks and snacks,handing out their cards, laughing and mingling with the guests. I got a sense from them that they were very proud of the ship, NCL, and happy to be there. Each one we spoke to wanted to know how our cruise was going and if there was anything they could do for us. It was exceptional customer service and definitely left an impression on us. As other posters have said I'm sure all cruise lines have the same amount of officers/management, they just aren't all as hands on. I very much appreciated being able to see them so involved in the day to day operations.

By contrast, when we we've been on Carnival ships, including on the Vista this week, we rarely see officers in the buffet area or wandering around the ship.

Obviously it is just a different business model. Carnival chooses to have their officers behind the scenes, while NCL chooses to have their officers out and about. Neither is right or is either wrong.

I see just as many officers around on Celebrity and Crystal, so I don't think NCL is top heavy.

Because they are visable on NCL doesn't mean the company is top heavy with officers. I'm sure the same officers exist on Carnival even if you don't see them.

Other than the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, what mass gathering are you referring to? When a number of officers take time out of their busy day to attend, be introduced and invite you to contact them if any service issues occur, how is that a bad thing?

Typically you'll see senior officers introduced at the welcome aboard show, the finale show and at at least one or two of the large events for passengers such as one of the game shows, etc.

I don't think it's a "bad thing" (unless it causes our cruise fares to rise!)clear.png?emoji-grin-1677:D:D(sorry for the smileys--wasn't sure how to delete them)--it just struck me as odd you hardly see any officers on some of the other lines. And as I said in my original post, I think the service and friendliness of the NCL crew is second to none.

I was posting primarily out of curiosity and whether anyone else has noticed the same thing and if anyone had any "inside knowledge" on ratio of officers to crew between the lines.

I do think NCL does like their management staff (i.e. officers) to be more hands on and visible. All the ones I’ve met are quick to mention if I have something that I thought needed attention, and couldn’t get a satisfactory response to call them directly. They usually offer a card, or their direct line.

I think that’s a good thing.

I agree--I have had VERY GOOD LUCK with anytime I have any issue--small or big--the NCL department head has been very prompt in resolving it and following up to make sure the issue was addressed.

LOL...that's a good one Aunu!

We were on the Bliss for 27 days in the spring - went back for Sept 1 Alaska. I laughed when officers remembered my husband - especially when I realized one was responsible for the bartenders and the other the booze. I have experience in customer service, I think it's important for "managers" to be available to crew and passengers. NCL employees are some of the best that I have experienced at being happy and caring about their customers (EVERYONE in customer service has days they can't take the stress)

Why is it that anyone who even questions something NCL does is considered a complainer? Perhaps you don't "quite understand" because the OP did NOT complain. OP asked a question for which there may actually be an answer.

For the benefit of these boards, please set down your pom-poms and take a moment to accept that not everyone is out to bring down your beloved NCL and it's OK to ask questions about NCL's practices.

To the OP: I've cruised CCL and NCL the most in recent years. I've seen officers paraded out on both lines, I've seen the picture boards on both lines, and generally I have not noticed a difference in officer presence - with one exception. Inaugural Alaska Bliss (June 2) seemed to be crawling with officers everywhere you looked. But, I just consider that a result of a brand new ship, first time to Alaska, etc. I guess in the Bliss case I kind of expected it.

Now, now, now....perhaps is was the OP's choice of captain that caused me too to feel the OP was upset about this.

And in defense of newmexicoNita who specifically included an "if" yet had to receive your admonishment....I'd suggest and agree with your words: For the benefit of these boards, please set down your pom-poms and take a moment...

Perhaps is you said them out loud, you could hear them better.