Help with Currency conversion for Cuba

lyonsden10

We're going on the "Day in Havana" excursion on Empress of the Seas. The money situation seems really complicated. I don't want to convert more money than needed. My husband read that you can't use credit cards and there is a10% fee on conversion to and from U.S. dollars to and from the Cuban currency.

Has anyone successfully used credit cards there?

Thanks!

Susan

We're going on the "Day in Havana" excursion on Empress of the Seas. The money situation seems really complicated. I don't want to convert more money than needed. My husband read that you can't use credit cards and there is a10% fee on conversion to and from U.S. dollars to and from the Cuban currency.

Thanks!

Susan

Theoretically, even IF you could use a CC, you would be faced with the 10% charge. But, no, you can not use your CC in Cuba- there are only two US banks that even operate in Cuba, and no CC service at all.

You are going to have to exchange cash for use on shore. And you can always change it back- there's no fee from CUC to US$- just from US$ to CUC.

Thanks. That's great to know.

But are there plenty of places to do the currency conversion so I can do it as I need to? We're going to the studio gallery of Nelson Dominguez and Experimental Graphics Workshop.

Thanks, again, for responding.

Susan

Thanks. That's great to know.

But are there plenty of places to do the currency conversion so I can do it as I need to? We're going to the studio gallery of Nelson Dominguez and Experimental Graphics Workshop.

Thanks, again, for responding.

Susan

Not really- there's the main one at the port (and one at the airport, too...), and a handful around Havana. Which we never really saw.... At the end of our tour the first trip down, our guide was able to convert cash for us.

Even on our second trip down, where we flew, we only exchanged our money at the airport.

Thanks!

Susan

It's not any more complicated than exchanging anywhere else, but it is more money to exchange. Cuba charges the USA a "penalty" tax of 10% because in order for Cuba to convert USA currency, they have to go outside the USA banking system to do so. This creates extra work and creativity in Cuba. You also pay a 3% exchange fee which is for USD and any other currency.

The good news is that everything is cheaper in Cuba, so the 10% tax/fee is nothing much to worry about. It's not like you are going to spend thousands of dollars. We were there 2 days, and spent maybe $200.00 total.

Credit cares are accepted in Cuba, however, it must be a non-USA bank, or one of the USA banks that are certified by the USA government to do banking in Cuba.

You can exchange the money back to USD at the port for 3% fee. The penalty tax only goes one way. That is not refundable.

So don't worry about the exta $20-30 in fees. Go enjoy, this is a unique cruise.

Super easy to exchange money in the terminal building. They have many many cashiers there waiting to do this.

Easy peasy. Not an issue at all. We didn't know how much to get but since we were overnight we had a better idea

of how much more we needed to make it through the second day so we ended up getting money twice.

A 2 hour ride on the Hop on Hop off bus was $10 dollars. ( Cuban). A half hour ride in a convertible was around

$25 bucks. Cigars can run you a range of prices but we bought a few for $10 a piece. You can bring up to 100 cigars

back with you.

We went to the Tropicana show at night. It was great. We booked it online.

Cuba was much more than we had expected. We had a great time.

I believe there are two different types of Cuban money. One has pictures of people and one has pictures of building, if I remember correctly. I have to research this again before our cruise the end of October, because one of them is a lot lower value then the others, so I remember reading about making sure you only get the one, but I can't remember which one to get and which one to avoid?!?!:eek:

I believe there are two different types of Cuban money. One has pictures of people and one has pictures of building, if I remember correctly. I have to research this again before our cruise the end of October, because one of them is a lot lower value then the others, so I remember reading about making sure you only get the one, but I can't remember which one to get and which one to avoid?!?!:eek:

CUP’s have pictures of people and are for use by Cubans only. Tourists must convert their money to CUC’s which has pictures of monuments. Don’t take CUP’s as change from anyone as it will be worthless to you. If you exchange your money at the port you will be given CUC, not CUP.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise line will offer one or more informational sessions during your cruise, but before you get off in Cuba. It is suggested that someone in your party attend. On our recent cruise to Cuba the information session ran continuously on the television.

Money exchange is very simple, and it will be explained during that session.

Enjoy

M

How much did you pay for the Tropicana show? Was it worth it?

You have your choice of prices. We didn't need dinner but we booked the premium seats. We were

seated at a table all the way up front by the stage. We paid $95 per person. The people who were on the

ship's tour were seating further back. The ship was charging $199 per person. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Of course, we had to pay a taxi to get there .

The show was non stop, action packed singing and dancing. We really enjoyed it.