I've been sailing NCL long enough to remember when...

Norovirus595

haven't read it all, but I remember when...

I shot skeet off the back of the ship,  That was fun!

The crew always performed "If I were not upon the sea, something else I'd rather be"  Some may remember this!

There were no balcony cabins

There were no specialty restaurants

There were only early and late dinner seatings….(I am so thankful for anytime seatings now!)

They gave complementary upgrades  (I didn't get one, but some folks did)

There were two required formal nights on a 7 night cruise and dress codes were observed.

We got perks that were done for hospitality's sake and signed notes from the captain and upper crew (and we weren't platinum!)

The late night buffets were like second dinner but extremely fancy with carved fruits, carved ice, and tons of desserts.

The size of the ship was tiny!  (Think Southward and Skyward back in the 80's.)  17,000 tons compared to 170,000 tons now! You felt the motion on these little guys back then and there were probably 500-600 passengers rather than 3 or 4 thousand.

Shore excursions cost 19-39 bucks on average!  Now they are often more than a full day's passage on the ship!

The slot machines paid out real coins and I would bring them back to the room

They had the Jean O Ryan (or something like that) dancers who were pretty good back then.

Horse races

Decent filet mignon and lobster (like in the pay for restaurants) on formal night and the food was delicious in the regular DR.

And until quite recently, you could bring Coke aboard.  I would do this since I don't drink Pepsi.

All this being said, there have been many changes that NCL has made that were good decisions. (Pepsi wasn't one of them). They have always been trailblazers.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Another ship trip said:

The crew always performed "If I were not upon the sea, something else I'd rather be"  Some may remember this!

There were only early and late dinner seatings….(I am so thankful for anytime seatings now!)

There were two required formal nights on a 7 night cruise and dress codes were observed.

We got perks that were done for hospitality's sake and signed notes from the captain and upper crew (and we weren't platinum!)

The late night buffets were like second dinner but extremely fancy with carved fruits, carved ice, and tons of desserts.

The size of the ship was tiny!  (Think Southward and Skyward back in the 80's.)  17,000 tons compared to 170,000 tons now! You felt the motion on these little guys back then and there were probably 500-600 passengers rather than 3 or 4 thousand.

Shore excursions cost 19-39 bucks on average!  Now they are often more than a full day's passage on the ship!

They had the Jean O Ryan (or something like that) dancers who were pretty good back then.

Horse races

Decent filet mignon and lobster (like in the pay for restaurants) on formal night and the food was delicious in the regular DR.

And until quite recently, you could bring Coke aboard.  I would do this since I don't drink Pepsi.

All this being said, there have been many changes that NCL has made that were good decisions. (Pepsi wasn't one of them). They have always been trailblazers.  

Your remember most of what I do as well. I miss the horse races the most I think and probably the smaller ships. I can remember when we thought the Seaward was big, it had 2 dining rooms: wow and yes, I too love some of the changes they have made. I also love that they are trailblazers and will continue to be I hope.

I may have written this  else  where, I do remember  all of the  above  list.

But  I also remmeber  going  to a  CC meeting and each person got free  bottles of wine and free dinners in specialty  restaurant.

Also when the eliminated the  midnight buffet, they had  the chocolate buffet  once  during te trip

NCL Skyward 1988. No television in the cabin, themed midnight buffets ( seafood, Italian, Mexican). The baked alaska parade and singing waiters! The main entertainment was all done by the cruise staff with help from the Dive In staff and the 5 piece band. A good reggae band on deck during the day and not some blaring DJ

Edited by Ontime Departure

23 hours ago, Another ship trip said:

Horse races

Just have to pipe in. I remember when I was on the S S France before it became the S S Norway-the best times ever on that ship. First cruise on the Skyward 2/1972. Yes the Jean Ann Ryan company did the production shows and broadway plays we saw on the Norway. Wonderful formal nights. The music themed cruises. Have a video somewhere of the crew doing "If I were not upon the Sea." My daughter was one of the few children onboard. She just got off the Harmony and over 2000 kids-a nightmare. I was seasick on that 2/1972 cruise but kept coming back and 47 years later still cruising.