Ovation dry dock

Trixie21

Her regular dry dock is not due till 2021. If true, it could be something mechanical that needs a fix - probably azipods. Marrinetraffic shows her moored off some island that has a dry dock.

If you switch to the satellite photo map, you will see that Ovation is actually in the dry dock. You are correct, there must be a propulsion problem, or some other reason to dry dock.

Ovation will shortly be leaving the Chinese market, she is scheduled to do a re positioning cruise ending in Australia soon where she will remain until she then transfers to North America to do the Alaska route.

This drydock may be to change the highrollers room back to a Diamond Lounge and and other changes such as changing the noodle shop to a Johnny Rockets and all the signage around the ship.

Ovation will shortly be leaving the Chinese market, she is scheduled to do a re positioning cruise ending in Australia soon where she will remain until she then transfers to North America to do the Alaska route.

This drydock may be to change the highrollers room back to a Diamond Lounge and and other changes such as changing the noodle shop to a Johnny Rockets and all the signage around the ship.

While that kind of work requires time out of service, and the facilities of a shipyard, they do not require the cost of the valuable real estate of a dry dock, so there is some work being done below the waterline.

It is an unscheduled drydock.

They had to cancel two cruises.

from RC: "We must conduct unscheduled maintenance on Ovation of the Seas"

that is all they state!

the Johnny Rockets news that is spreading around the internet appears to be fake news - this was back from 2016 - it was suggested that it would be included but they changed plans.

Converting the high roller room to Diamond Lounge has always been done during the repositioning from China to Australia, the changes should be completed by the time it reaches Singapore. For Johnny Rockets, should the Noodle shop be converted, this can also be done while the ship is in revenue service. They would just close the venue for some weeks and have the work done then. As fas as I remember on Quantum the Johnny Rockets was converted to the Noodleshop while the ship was repositioning between New York to China and the works were completed by the time the ship reached singapore

For the dry dock of Ovation, this seems to be the second unscheduled one already, in 2017 after returning from Australia at around april or May it was also for approx a week in dry dock and had a couple of cruises cancelled

I notice the deck plans effective 7 Oct and the only difference I see is that the Golden Room is now the Diamond lounge. Should we expect that all the "Asia Specific" stuff will be gone, like Wonderland being a Peking Duck restaurant, etc? Thanks!

I notice the deck plans effective 7 Oct and the only difference I see is that the Golden Room is now the Diamond lounge. Should we expect that all the "Asia Specific" stuff will be gone, like Wonderland being a Peking Duck restaurant, etc? Thanks!

The Peking Duck restaurant is only for Chinese sailings. It resumes the standard Wonderland menu en route to Singapore. Ovation already sailed in Australia last year so it's been through this once already. The only difference this time is it's not planning to return to China, so additional modifications may be made such as removing Chinese signage (which remained in place previously).

It is interesting that RCCL is not stating that it is dry dock for propulsion repairs. When it went into dry dock in 2017 RCCL said it was for, "maintenance on components of the ship's propulsion system." They have just said it is unscheduled maintenance this time. As others have said, it must be below the waterline though, if it required a dry dock.

It is interesting that RCCL is not stating that it is dry dock for propulsion repairs. When it went into dry dock in 2017 RCCL said it was for, "maintenance on components of the ship's propulsion system." They have just said it is unscheduled maintenance this time. As others have said, it must be below the waterline though, if it required a dry dock.

Well if they had said it, people will be demanding to know what caused it and why it happened again.

Well if they had said it, people will be demanding to know what caused it and why it happened again.

Yes, that is certainly possible. It seemed like they called it out specifically for the dry dock in 2017 so would be interested if it was the propulsion or something different this time. I could find any details in some quick search engine queries.

The dry dock period being about 5-6 days, I believe this was necessary for a collection of problems that could have individually been handled by divers, but when taken collectively it was decided that the quickest and least expensive option was to dry dock. It could have been thrusters, stabilizers, or azipod shaft seals or pod azimuth seals. Frankly, any ship that has operated in Chinese waters for the amount of time Ovation has, I'm not surprised that she may have experienced seal failure, given the amount of floating debris in and around the harbors, and the unregulated nature of the fishing industry (fishing nets are a common cause of propeller shaft seal failure).

The dry dock period being about 5-6 days, I believe this was necessary for a collection of problems that could have individually been handled by divers, but when taken collectively it was decided that the quickest and least expensive option was to dry dock. It could have been thrusters, stabilizers, or azipod shaft seals or pod azimuth seals. Frankly, any ship that has operated in Chinese waters for the amount of time Ovation has, I'm not surprised that she may have experienced seal failure, given the amount of floating debris in and around the harbors, and the unregulated nature of the fishing industry (fishing nets are a common cause of propeller shaft seal failure).

May this time this is the reason, however in 2017 when Ovation went into dry dock it was shortly after the ship returned from her Australia season. RCCL claims that the dry dock was not an emergency however something that had to be fixed sooner or later. They really don't want to experience any serious issues when doing the transpacific in april

Photos appeared on FB showing azipod repairs.

steamboats

Is that the same thing as a propulsion bearing (pardon my ignorance!)? The pictures I saw said they were repairing propulsion bearing damaged in the China Typhoon. There has been a few storms in the area lately but I assume they were referring to Mangkut. That was a pretty nasty storm when it hit us and it was much stronger when it hit China.

Is that the same thing as a propulsion bearing (pardon my ignorance!)?

As biker19 said the bearing is inside the azipod. An azipod is sort of a gondola hanging underneath the ship which can be turned 360 degrees and holds a propeller. The bearing is inside - I assume it´s allowing the gondola to turn.

See also here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

steamboats

As biker19 said the bearing is inside the azipod. An azipod is sort of a gondola hanging underneath the ship which can be turned 360 degrees and holds a propeller. The bearing is inside - I assume it´s allowing the gondola to turn.

See also here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod

steamboats

I believe there are at least two kids of bearings, thrust and rotational.