Extra Expenses

Lbrussel

I’m trying to find info regarding purchasing ship excursions and drink/dining packages.

When are we charged for these things? Are we billed separately or is it added to the total cruise amount?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Things may vary by cruise line, but this is my [limited] experience.

If you are purchasing on board [after check in] then these will be added to your on board account & charged to the payment method [credit card] they have on file. [allowing for on board credit]

If you are purchasing before check in, they are pre paid separately. If a prepaid ship's shore excursion is canceled [e.g. ship needs to skip a port due to weather conditions] then the shore excursion refund is applied to the on board account.

In general gratuities, bar & drink packages, Tours (through ship) on board shopping, etc. are added to your ships accounts and settled before you leave the ship on the last day. Most guest supply a credit card on file and the total is charged to the card.

When they scan your ships room key card for you to leave, if you account is not paid or credit card on file they will ask you to settle before leaving. Some things can be prepaid if you want ie daily gratuity charges, but most are charged to your account.

Thank you all so much. Takes a load off my mind. I know, I guess it’s the cabin has to be paid 90 days before we sail, so I’m paying that part off by May. But I got worried about signing up for anything else because I’ll just make that big payment.

Now I know I’ll have time over the summer to save for the packages and excursions.

I can’t wait! [emoji846]

Thank you all so much. Takes a load off my mind. I know, I guess it’s the cabin has to be paid 90 days before we sail, so I’m paying that part off by May. But I got worried about signing up for anything else because I’ll just make that big payment.

Now I know I’ll have time over the summer to save for the packages and excursions.

I can’t wait! [emoji846]

To be clear, with most cruise lines the full fare of the cruise, which is the stateroom rate, taxes, and port fees, is paid in full typically 90 days prior to sailing. This payment due date is called the final payment date. If in your case that is sometime in May, that would indicate your sailing date is likely sometime in August.

The other things such as excursions and drink packages can be reserved at any time, including on board. Whether reserved in advance or booked on board, excursions are usually paid at the time of the reservation. Same with extras such as drink packages or specialty restaurant reservations. Gratuities can also be paid in advance or on board with most cruise lines, they - as with the others identified - are separate charges from your stateroom rate.

BTW, just so you are aware, the ships are cashless. Everything purchased on board relative to your cruise is charged directly to your stateroom account via your stateroom keycard which also serves as your on board charge card linked to a credit card or cash account, and your ID card.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Yes, we’re sailing at the middle of August. When I booked I took care of the gratuities at the same time. Although I’ll more then likely do a little more while on the ship, only cause that’s my nature.

I opened a dedicated account just for any money going to this trip. I want to make sure I have everything covered. So I’ll be sure to use that card on the ship. I didn’t realize it was all cashless. Was going to get travelers checks to pay for extra things. Now I know to put the funds into the cruise acct too.

You have really helped me.

The other thing to budget, which can really add up, is the 20% gratuity charged on a lot of 'purchases'. Drinks, dining packages, spa activites, any of the 'gifts' you buy yourself, even bottled water packages. I didn't notice an immediate tip and service charge addition on the shore excursions, but you will be expected to tip in cash directly to the provider at the end of the excursion.

• Like 1

Room Service -- I think RCI charges for some items and for meals ordered after a certain time at night -- ask about this on the RCI board.

Some people tip the server who delivers the food -- some don't. We always have some cash handy to tip them.

Good to know. I plan to have cash on hand for shore excursions. I’ll make sure to add a little to it in case I get room service.

If you consider buying a beverage package, I'd recommend buying it from your favorite waiter instead of before the trip. They'll love you.

I didn’t realize we could purchase from him/her. We’re not big drinkers but there were a few I want to try now that I saw the bar menus. Told my husband that I plan on sitting on our balcony with a frozen drink at night and just watching the waves.

For room service, RCI charges $7.95, plus gratuity, per order (not dish).

Continental breakfast (pastries, bread, tea, coffee, juice) in the morning is free.

If you stay in a Grand Suite or higher, room service is always free. And you have a more extensive menu.

I didn’t realize we could purchase from him/her. We’re not big drinkers but there were a few I want to try now that I saw the bar menus. Told my husband that I plan on sitting on our balcony with a frozen drink at night and just watching the waves.

It is quite expensive, but the price is fixed. No sudden surprises. Without it you'll think twice about paying a ridiculous $6 for a can of beer. No need to think about chosing between between the worst, but free, coffee you have ever tasted and the nice coffee that would cost $5 or more. Also bottled water that tastes like water instead of water from a swimming pool. And you get to try all of the cocktails and order two or three or five to enjoy the waves.

Anyway, if it's worthwhile is up for you to decide, but if you do decide to buy a beverage package do wait a bit to find the best waiter and ask them. One waiter literally hugged me on a cruise 2 years later.

The other thing to budget, which can really add up, is the 20% gratuity charged on a lot of 'purchases'. Drinks, dining packages, spa activites, any of the 'gifts' you buy yourself, even bottled water packages. I didn't notice an immediate tip and service charge addition on the shore excursions, but you will be expected to tip in cash directly to the provider at the end of the excursion.

Your comments are not accurate.

The gratuity for beverages is 18% and is included in the purchase of the beverage with the total price of the drink. There is no need to add any additional gratuity. The dining packages also include the gratuity with the package fee. No need to add any more there either. Spa activities gratuities are optional as well to the fee charged. And I have never purchased any gift on board that also had an expected gratuity. Where are you getting that from? As to excursions, a gratuity there, while perhaps customary, is also optional.

It is quite expensive, but the price is fixed. No sudden surprises. Without it you'll think twice about paying a ridiculous $6 for a can of beer. No need to think about chosing between between the worst, but free, coffee you have ever tasted and the nice coffee that would cost $5 or more. Also bottled water that tastes like water instead of water from a swimming pool. And you get to try all of the cocktails and order two or three or five to enjoy the waves.

Anyway, if it's worthwhile is up for you to decide, but if you do decide to buy a beverage package do wait a bit to find the best waiter and ask them. One waiter literally hugged me on a cruise 2 years later.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be sure to wait till I get on the boat. Still trying to determine which package would be best for us. But I have time to decide.

Your comments are not accurate.

The gratuity for beverages is 18% and is included in the purchase of the beverage with the total price of the drink. There is no need to add any additional gratuity. The dining packages also include the gratuity with the package fee. No need to add any more there either. Spa activities gratuities are optional as well to the fee charged. And I have never purchased any gift on board that also had an expected gratuity. Where are you getting that from? As to excursions, a gratuity there, while perhaps customary, is also optional.

I would probably add to the tip only cause Thats just how I am, Especially if the service is great. Either way it’s good to know what you’ve said as well. I can take that in to account.

If you aren’t big drinkers you may find that you are better off without a package. Yes, prices are high, but depending on the line and the cost for the package, it often takes 5+ drinks a day each to break even.

If you aren’t big drinkers you may find that you are better off without a package. Yes, prices are high, but depending on the line and the cost for the package, it often takes 5+ drinks a day each to break even.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out first, which one would be better for us. We’re not really big drinkers. But there are a few drinks I saw that I want to try. The frozen ones look delicious. So I’ll weight my options.

Hi Lbrussel (thread starter) ....

You are a breath of fresh air. :*

Love all you want to know is what to expect that are extra rather than trying to find a way to avoid them like so many others.

Look forward to having a GREAT cruise! (y)

Thank you. [emoji5] I can’t wait for this cruise.

I just hate to have sticker shock at the end of the cruise. Definitely want to make sure everything is covered. And every one here helps so much.

Just a thought about buying the drink package on board. When I bought mine I went ahead and bought early when I saw it on sale. Then it went on sale even lower so cancelled and bought at new price. Eventually price went back up to onboard prices. I saved a couple hundred dollars buying it before the cruise. My experience.

For us it was difficult to hit the break even point, but we did it. The convenience of having it was awesome though.

• Like 1

That’s what I’m trying to figure out first, which one would be better for us. We’re not really big drinkers. But there are a few drinks I saw that I want to try. The frozen ones look delicious. So I’ll weight my options.

Prices and packages vary from line to line, but I generally find for light to moderate drinkers that the drink package doesn't make financial sense. I do understand paying for the convenience though if you think you'll be close, or the concern that you won't purchase the drinks if you have to pay "full" price.

On our last cruise my husband and I drank as much as we wanted, including trying some drinks that sounded good (one was, one wasn't). We drank significantly more than at home, but still only in the moderate drinking category. Combined we didn't even spend as much as a drink package for one of us would have been.

My advice if you want the "freedom" of a package but not the price tag is to load cash (or check) to your sailing account - if your line allows - in the amount you are willing to spend on drinks. You won't have a bill at the end since you pre-paid, but if you don't drink as much as you think (tired, sea sick, just don't feel like it) then you would get the money back or have it applied to other on board expenses.

Have a great cruise:cool: