Qs about St. Petersburg

My wife and I had a difficult time on a recent trip to Rome because our tours of the Coliseum and the Vatican turned out to have a lot of stairs, and we each have physical issues that make stairs tough. We can handle a modest amount of stairs, but a lot of stairs is tough.

So my first question is, what is the stair situation at the major sites in SP? Like the Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, St Peter and Paul Fortress, etc. We will be doing a private tour so we will be able to choose what things we want to see (only one day there so we know we cannot see everything) and it makes sense to avoid places with a lot of stairs.

My second question is about the tipping culture there. Is it no tip, minor tipping, or US style tipping. I'm a 'when in Rome' kind of guy so I want to conform my tipping or non-tipping to their culture.

Thanks

My wife and I had a difficult time on a recent trip to Rome because our tours of the Coliseum and the Vatican turned out to have a lot of stairs, and we each have physical issues that make stairs tough. We can handle a modest amount of stairs, but a lot of stairs is tough.

So my first question is, what is the stair situation at the major sites in SP? Like the Hermitage, Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, St Peter and Paul Fortress, etc. We will be doing a private tour so we will be able to choose what things we want to see (only one day there so we know we cannot see everything) and it makes sense to avoid places with a lot of stairs.

My second question is about the tipping culture there. Is it no tip, minor tipping, or US style tipping. I'm a 'when in Rome' kind of guy so I want to conform my tipping or non-tipping to their culture.

Thanks

We did private tour in St Peterburg my husband also has walking difficulties -mainly distance-he can manage stairs

hermitage has a small lift/elevator and you can use one of their wheelchairs

Peterhof palace has no lift

Catherines palace does but still need to contend with a few steps at entrance

Peterhof gardens is extensive on gravel paths

the private tours say that tips of 10% to guide and 5% to driver according to western standards

however that is aimed mainly at Americans and is not standard in Western Europe

also on a 2 day tour costing about $300[they quote in US dollars but payable on day in roubles] a substantial proportion of that is entrance fees-would you tip at home on entrance fees or just the guiding services?

we have come up with an amount per day rather than a percentage of tour cost

£5 $5 or 5 euros per day for half day tour throughout Europe

£10 $10 or 10 euros for full day

hope that helps

Hermitage has extensive staircases to the second level. Catherine’s palace has stairs at the entrance and to the second level. Peterhof is on one level inside but the gardens are a stairway away and a lot of walking.

Tour guides and drivers are probably dependent on tips. Go with10% for the guide and 5% for the driver unless they are terrible. (based on full price) All reviews of all the private tours rave about the guides. Ours should have had a PhD in Russian history and art history. Dollars are welcome. You don’t need roubles anywhere.

To really enjoy the gardens at Peterhof, there are quite a few stairs involved as well as about 3/4 mile walking distance to the hydrofoil station (if this is something you might be doing). From the hydrofoil to the base of the stairs in the gardens is mainly flat, crushed stone/dirt surface. The stairs are approximately 25 then a break then another 25 and so on with handrails. So maybe in all about 75 steps to reach the Grand Palace/Fountain Garden area. No lift inside the palace and you will need to navigate a stairway on the way in and out of the palace (about 30 stairs a piece) as the 2nd floor houses the many rooms on the tours. If you can manage it, this palace was a beautiful place to see especially being there when the main fountains were turned on for the day.

the private tours say that tips of 10% to guide and 5% to driver according to western standards

however that is aimed mainly at Americans and is not standard in Western Europe

also on a 2 day tour costing about $300[they quote in US dollars but payable on day in roubles] a substantial proportion of that is entrance fees-would you tip at home on entrance fees or just the guiding services?

we have come up with an amount per day rather than a percentage of tour cost

£5 $5 or 5 euros per day for half day tour throughout Europe

£10 $10 or 10 euros for full day

hope that helps

This was our thinking as well when we toured in St. Petersburg. And we tipped a similar amount.