Apple watch (with cellular)

SDJen

Thinking of getting my daughter an Apple watch for Christmas and we sail next spring. Just wondering how that works on the ship or in ports? I assume you can turn the cell data off, right? I would hate to get stuck with a big bill! Or, if it doesn't work without cell service would probably just leave at home - or do they work with WiFi?

Any advice or tips? I just haven't researched how they work and this question popped into my head today :p

Thinking of getting my daughter an Apple watch for Christmas and we sail next spring. Just wondering how that works on the ship or in ports? I assume you can turn the cell data off, right? I would hate to get stuck with a big bill! Or, if it doesn't work without cell service would probably just leave at home - or do they work with WiFi?

Any advice or tips? I just haven't researched how they work and this question popped into my head today :p

About cellalur you'll have to ask Apple and the c\your cell provider.

I put mine in airplane mode and have never had a issue. I don't get notifications but it still acts like a watch.....Actually sometimes notifications come thru. Kind of like my phone.

I do not wear it when I go ashore. I know lots of people have much more expensive watches but I like to swim. While my new one is water proof I am not going to risk it in the ocean or sitting in my bag on the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Apple Watch (Series 4). For Series 3 and Series 4 watches there are 2 versions: The GPS version with wifi but no cellular service, and the GPS + Cellular version.

With the GPS version, you should have no problems. The watch will try and find your iPhone and piggyback off wherever it's getting internet using Bluetooth. No wifi for your phone, no wifi for the watch. If your watch can't find your phone or can't get an internet connection through it, it will try and establish a wifi connection on its own. This can be helpful - if you're on the ship's wifi plan and like to jog, swim, etc., you can wear the watch without having to bring your iPhone with you and still get service.

You can still set the watch to Airplane mode if you want.

With the GPS + Cellular watch, you need to take some precautions. It will try and first find your phone, then failing that, find a wifi signal. But failing that, it's going to use the closest cellular network to feed you data. If you're in port, it will latch on to the local service and you may end up with a huge bill. Make sure when you switch your iPhone to Airplane mode before you enter port, that you do the same with your watch.

Finally, remember that the watch will count as a device as far as your ship wide internet program is concerned. If you have a two-device plan, you won't be able to have your watch, iPhone and laptop all on the internet at the same time.

If you want it for a watch put it in airplane mode and leave it alone. If you want it for other uses it is just like your phone, and you could run up a hefty bill, IF you even get service. If it is wi-fi it is more trouble than it is worth to log in and out with it.