Opening up petition between balconys

We just got off a four day cruise on the Mariner. We travel with friends and asked the room steward to open the petition between the two balconys. He told us that he couldn’t and the Mariner has a new manager who is not allowing this. I asked if it was just the Mariner or all of the fleet, he wasn’t sure. Has anyone asked to have the balcony’s opened recently?

We just got off a four day cruise on the Mariner. We travel with friends and asked the room steward to open the petition between the two balconys. He told us that he couldn’t and the Mariner has a new manager who is not allowing this. I asked if it was just the Mariner or all of the fleet, he wasn’t sure. Has anyone asked to have the balcony’s opened recently?

Not all Captains allow the partitions to be opened.

We have booked balconies since 2000, we have been on over ten RCCL cruises, two Celebrity, several Princess and a couple of Norwegian and have always had the balconies opened. Out of our 23 cruises this was the first time we were told they couldn’t do it.

It's unusual to not be allowed to open them. I've even been on cruises where all the dividers were opened for cleaning. Though in the end it is up to the captain. May have been a one off for some unknown reason, but the crew probably know it's best not to speculate.

We have booked balconies since 2000, we have been on over ten RCCL cruises, two Celebrity, several Princess and a couple of Norwegian and have always had the balconies opened. Out of our 23 cruises this was the first time we were told they couldn’t do it.

We could not have the balcony dividers opened on Norwegian Dawn last year.

Not all ships have balcony dividers that CAN be opened. The newer RCI ships do have small doors that can be opened, but the older ships dividers are either bolted into place, or are actually part of the "hull" of the ship. Those can't be opened.

This is going to be an issue for me on Allure December 2019. I booked 3 cabins Central Park Balconeys so we could have the dividers open and the grands can go from one room to the others.

Whenever I've heard discussions about opening balcony dividers, I've assumed the discussion always meant those on the outside of the ship (overlooking the ocean). I never even considered whether the interior balconies (Central Park and Boardwalk) had partitions that could open. Can any one shed some light?

Whenever I've heard discussions about opening balcony dividers, I've assumed the discussion always meant those on the outside of the ship (overlooking the ocean). I never even considered whether the interior balconies (Central Park and Boardwalk) had partitions that could open. Can any one shed some light?

They have the capability of being opened.

Thats sad ro hear we booked 4 balconies hoping we could open the divider. ����

From your posting history, you are talking about sailing out of Tampa. On RC, that would mean Rhapsody or Brilliance. The balcony dividers on both of these ships cannot be opened.

This is going to be an issue for me on Allure December 2019. I booked 3 cabins Central Park Balconeys so we could have the dividers open and the grands can go from one room to the others.

It is the Master of the Vessel who makes that decision. You will have to wait until you are on board to find out whether it is permitted at that time.

Last week on Harmony we could see that several Central Park balcony dividers were open across from us.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Freedom in 2006 and we had three balcony cabins and all of the petitions were open, which was great so that we had a much bigger balcony for the six of us to sit out and have drinks and appetizers.  Hoping Freedom will allow the petition to be opened for our April cruise.

Your steward probably just didn't feel like doing the work.

You should have escalated the issue with someone else.

If that does not work, go to guest services and complain.

They can usually fix most things.

Edited by matj2000

37 minutes ago, cruiselover10 said:

We were on the Freedom in 2006 and we had three balcony cabins and all of the petitions were open, which was great so that we had a much bigger balcony for the six of us to sit out and have drinks and appetizers.  Hoping Freedom will allow the petition to be opened for our April cruise.

It is rare for any requests to have the dividers on Freedom or Oasis class ships denied.

it seemed to be that not allowing balcony dividers to be opened was more of an issue of a couple if the Voyager class ships.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We are on Mariner in December & have adjoining balcony cabins for 1st time & wanted balcony dividers open.

Hope policy changes by that time.

Curious as to why Captain makes this decision & what does it matter?  What is the reason they would not allow them to be opened?

13 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

We are on Mariner in December & have adjoining balcony cabins for 1st time & wanted balcony dividers open.

Hope policy changes by that time.

Curious as to why Captain makes this decision & what does it matter?  What is the reason they would not allow them to be opened?

Sometimes two adjacent balconies are in different fire zones and the partitions cannot be opened.

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Sometimes two adjacent balconies are in different fire zones and the partitions cannot be opened.

Wasn’t there also an issue with some of the early Balcony dividers not being able to be fully secured and they had the porptential to bang around in rougher weather?