Question about Australian Visa when arriving via New Zealand

wesport

We are arriving in Aukland, New Zealand to embark on our New Zealand Australian cruise. HAL has told us if we arrive in New Zealand and arrive in Australia by ship, we can get the tourist visa on the ship. Just want to make sure if someone can verify this. Or, do we need the ETA before we go from visa central? Thanks.We are US citizens

Not aware you can get the visa free anywhere, except a couple reports of TAs that sometimes arrange for free..they are eating the cost. But HAL will likely ad on a fee above the standard cost.

Unfortunately a google search usually drives you right into the arms of lots of agency's that will do the visa job for you at a cost, but an in-depth search can save you a lot of money, when using government or embassy website's directly. Depending on country of residence, electronic visas are often free of charge and just as easy to get. For US citizens, I believe the online application with https://www.australiavisagov.com/visa-fee will set you back $ 79,-

For New Zealand by the way, you do not need a visa if you are from the US (visa waiver country) in most cases.

Unfortunately a google search usually drives you right into the arms of lots of agency's that will do the visa job for you at a cost, but an in-depth search can save you a lot of money, when using government or embassy website's directly. Depending on country of residence, electronic visas are often free of charge and just as easy to get. For US citizens, I believe the online application with https://www.australiavisagov.com/visa-fee will set you back $ 79,-

For New Zealand by the way, you do not need a visa if you are from the US (visa waiver country) in most cases.

That site is a third party scam, the official cost is $20Aud

Edited by ThePenguin1

The link you site is not a government site...it is misleadingly named to appear to be a government site.

I'm doing a similar cruise. I've already got my visa. What happens to those people that HAL tells to go online to get their visa while on the cruise and then the Australian government denies the visa? Shouldn't they be requiring the visa when you board the ship?

I used this site that was recommended on our roll call. I was leery about using it since it was half the cost of getting it through the government website (and a great deal cheaper than the many companies that charge a service fee that is greater than the cost of the visa). A number of people on the roll call had used the site and said it was legit. I tried it and had no problems. Very fast service.

The link you site is not a government site...it is misleadingly named to appear to be a government site.

You are so correct and I humbly apologize for the incorrect information. This shows how easy you can be misled!

We did ours a couple of weeks ago, on the OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav.

Here is an easy step by step process for your visa, we setup an account (which I think you have to) and got ours (free in the case of The Netherlands) within an instance.