Tundra wilderness denali Park Tour—-buses and rest room

creel5857

It has been 20 years since we did tour with Holland American and did the tour to Denali and we need some help, I know some prefer the longer trip into Denali but it is not on this land tour and the land tour is already planned, My questions are: do you still ride school buses and is there still just the outdoor toilet area in one stop before you turn around. Sorry but we are going with larger group and had no choice and we need to know what to prepare for......thanks!!!

I did the Tundra Wilderness tour last year. The bus is pretty similar to a school bus - there are some fold down video displays for when the driver sees something he wants everyone to see - he can operate a telephoto camera that shows on the displays. As far as the restrooms, I'm pretty sure it's better than 20 years ago. To the best of my recollection we made four restroom stops. Not FANCY - typical park outhouses with locking doors - probably built in the previous 2-3 years. Our entire trip was approximately 8 hours with a restroom break every 90 minutes or so.

Below is a pic of our bus:

35724812501_892f7bffa8_b.jpg

Those are some of the restrooms at one of the stops - there are enough so that the whole bus load can be accommodated in 10-15 minutes. The facilities are about the same in both locations. You stop at each location twice for a total of four stops.

35637434102_543ac1b59f_b.jpg

The buses are like school buses but have bucket seats, not bench seats.

Which tour are you going on? is it the shortest one, the Natural History Tour ? If so, the tour goes to Teklanika at Mile 30.

All tour and transit buses stop about every 90 minutes for a restroom stop. They restrooms are marked on the PARK ROAD MAP which is the 2nd map in this link.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/maps.htm#8/62.411/-149.167

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 3:35 PM, CATandSQUID said:

What time does this leave the park and return?  

www.reservedenali.com    and www.nps.gov/dena     has all the details.    There is more than one bus schedule,   plus multiple bus distances-  with different transit times.