Jerusalem

Travelling2Some

We have an overnight stop in Ashdod and are planning to take taxis to and from Jerusalem and stay in a hotel there overnight. We will be seeing the sights of the Old City on our own and I have just one question. Are the Garden of Gethsemane and Church of All Nations walking distance from the Old City? I was assuming they must be based on biblical information (after all, Jesus went from one to the other and He sure didn't Uber!) but I don't know the current situation. There could be a major highway in the way or a gate that existed then may not exist now. Will we be able to walk there or no?

Yes. You will cross the Kidron Valley to reach Getsemane. The easiest way to do this is via stairs on Derech HaOfel (derech means “path” usually translated on maps as “road”). The staircase is not far from the Dung Gate near the Western Wall and comes out by the Mount of Olives Information Center down the street from Getsemane. If you are visiting Mount Zion or Ir (City of) David you will be close as well. You can also go out St Stephens/Lions Gate from the Via Dolorosa and walk over (not sure I would recommend that way for a first time guest if there’s any tension). Do keep an eye on the situation at the time, and know that if need be, taxis are plentiful and cheap in Jerusalem and the journey is not far from the Old City.

Edited by syesmar

I also recommend including the nearby Grotto of Gethsemane/Betrayal and Tomb of Mary (one of several candidates). They are ancient sites with interesting archaeological finds, and add to the experience.

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

One more thing:) You are likely well aware, but I wanted to mention that one of the best views anyone could ever see in their lifetime is just a few minutes away up the hill.There are several scenic viewpoints of Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives.The best is just outside the 7 Arches Hotel.There are clean, free restrooms at the plaza, too.Do not walk it, but I would recommend having a taxi take you there and wait (be sure to keep a careful eye on your belongings as you take pictures).

Have a wonderful time!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

Thanks so much, Syesmar. This is just the information I was hoping for so we can get the most from our limited time. I think we will set out first thing in the morning from our hotel (which is over by the Jaffa Gate) and take a taxi up for the view as you suggest and then walk back to the Old City using your directions in reverse. Thanks again very much!

You’re very welcome! You are staying in a great location. You will have access to a vibrant Jerusalem at night, too! We enjoy the Tower of David Museum at Jaffa Gate for many reasons, they also have a night program with the Citadel lit up and sometimes special exhibits. You won’t be far from Nahalat Shiv'a neighborhood with its picturesque streets and the pedestrian mall of Ben Yehuda Street --- these are wonderful places to explore and enjoy a fantastic meal, as is Mamilla. The Teddy Kollek Park across from Jaffa Gate and next to the Artist Colony is fun to visit with the fountain show lit up at night (free). https://www.funinjerusalem.com/teddy-kollek-park/

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

Thanks again for the additional tips! We're staying at the Harmony Hotel which is actually in Nahalat Shiv'a. It looked like the best place to be at night and we are planning to walk up to the famous market (sorry, can never remember how to spell the name). Don't know if Sunday night is a good time for that but we just have the one night so no choice. We have two days so the first day I signed us up for the Sandeman's 4 hour tour of the Old City figuring that we want to be sure and see the most important sights and don't want to waste precious time getting lost. The second day we hope to see the City of David and the Mt. of Olives before we have to get back to the ship. Do you think we will be able to get a cab that will take us back to Ashdod from the Jaffa Gate area or should we ask our hotel for help with that? Many thanks again!

It sounds like you have a great plan! The location of your hotel is ideal. The market is Mahane Yehuda (called The Shuk for short, pronounced “shouk”). There are SO many good places to eat in this area and by your hotel!

I love the City of David, the entire site plus their tours are fascinating. They even have some that walk you through ancient underground tunnels coming out in the Ophel Archaeological Garden along the Western Wall (when we did this, we could just stay and visit when it was over).

I am not “in the know” on taking taxis out of town, other than the nesher to the airport (we used to use buses, now we rent cars, which I do not recommend unless one is familiar with the area . . . I have spent much time in the Land, but I have never been via cruise so I don’t want to give incorrect info). I have read other reports here on CC of those who have taken them back and forth. I believe only specific companies are authorized to go into the port, so you would likely pre-arrange this with one of them. I would suggest perhaps making a fresh Thread with this specific topic as the Subject to get the best, most accurate feedback for using taxis from those who have done so (and the trip advisor forum can also be a wealth of information).

Have a wonderful time! :)

Edited by syesmar