Early Arrival at MIA -- Hotel Check-In?

Tantsee

We will be arriving at MIA around 8:00 a.m. the day prior to our cruise. This is obviously long before the standard check-in time, but we will be exhausted after flying all night. Just wondering if anyone has been successful with any of the Miami hotels allowing you to check in THAT early (if a room is available). Did you experience one that was especially accommodating, or conversely, unwavering in their 3 - 4 p.m. check-in time? Your experience will help me make a decision on where to book. I am considering all options -- maybe even booking 2 nights if absolutely necessary.

It all depends upon availability. If your room is empty and available the hotel might accommodate you. The only way to guarantee you can get into a room at 8:00 is to reserve and pay for the night before - and let the hotel know that you will be checking in about 8:00.

I have previously been able to check into the Doubletree early - but that was closer to noon, not 8:00 AM.

Any good hotel should be happy to store your bags while you grab some breakfast, and they might even allow you to use the pool while you wait so pack your swim suit someplace handy. :cool:

Each day the occupancy rate of a hotel varies. So it would be hard to guarantee a very early check in. Your best chance is to explore hotels near the airport as travelers who have early flights stay there ... thus vacancies. Of course, paying for the night before is the safest.

I travel frequently and have had various experiences with the early check in. There is honestly no way to know ahead of time whether or not you will be successful because it all depends on how booked the night before was.

I agree with JohninDC, if you want the hotel at 8 am, book the night before to ensure it. I have done this numerous times when going to Europe and am always thankful that I have when I arrive.

JohninDC is right, if you want your room earlier than official check-in time, book the night before.

Any early check-in, even if pre-approved by the hotel, would be subject to room availability and goodwill of front desk staff. That's a lot of variables...

But there shouldn't be any problem to store your bags until the room is available.

Tantsee, the only thing that comes to mind for me is that the money you saved taking a red eye flight would be spent on an extra night hotel if you choose to take that route. Maybe if you get a good nights sleep the night before you leave and rest on the plane(no reading, watching movies but just closing your eyes and resting), you may arrive at 8am not feeling too tired. Also, the excitement of the vacation will probably give you a pep in your step. Go to your hotel and maybe you will get lucky with an early check in. Being from Vegas as I am and knowing that cash is king, a little cash to the front desk clerk may just seal the deal.