Cruise Critic Community
BigCruze

If you bought travel insurance check this out.

Never buy through the cruise line or airline

Though it may be convenient to buy through the airline or cruise line, you can usually find better coverage at comparable (or maybe even lower) premiums. It's interesting that one of the better (IMO) travel insurance companies for cruise travel (Nationwide) is among those that participate in this practice - we purchase from them independently and feel they offer more comprehensive coverage than what the cruise line offers.

Bought insurance through Carnival for my partner and I plus two friends for and April 2018 cruise (2 cabins on a B2B). My partner ended up in the hospital (for a 12 day stay) 3 days before we were to leave. In two week time we received every single dollar back for the cruise and our airfare (not bought through Carnival) on American Airlines. I think that is a pretty good record for an insurance company. I will take that coverage over any settlement that might be available. The insurance was worth every single cent I paid for it.

Nationwide saved our but last October, 14 day Journey on the Miracle through the Panama Canal, We got $8000 back. It did take a couple of months, save everything

Bought insurance through Carnival for my partner and I plus two friends for and April 2018 cruise (2 cabins on a B2B). My partner ended up in the hospital (for a 12 day stay) 3 days before we were to leave. In two week time we received every single dollar back for the cruise and our airfare (not bought through Carnival) on American Airlines. I think that is a pretty good record for an insurance company. I will take that coverage over any settlement that might be available. The insurance was worth every single cent I paid for it.

That's what I am talking about.

My understanding of the lawsuit description is that the vendors (cruise lines or whoever) were padding the price of the insurance.

The point wasn't to suggest one shouldn't get travel insurance, but that presumably (per my understanding of the lawsuit description) that same/similar coverage would cost less if purchased directly through the insurance company or an insurance broker (who has the commission paid by the insurer, not an add-on to the traveler).

We absolutely recommend travel insurance, especially for medical if one's own coverage isn't in effect out of country or such.

GC

I always bought travel insurance via Insure my trip where I could compare coverage. I now buy through Carnival because they offer a 75% credit on a future cruise if you cancel for any reason and a full refund for stated reasons. Their evacuation and medical coverage are enough for most ports in the Caribbean.