Bait and Switch on itinerary for upcoming cruise

Bogartpa

Your don't like complaint about your favorite cruise line and you said others had chips on their shoulder and insinuated others weren't seeing things "in perspective" and guess what? I don't like holier than thou people talking about what "great" attitude they have all the while lecturing other cruisers voicing their dissatisfaction with cruise lines. I will lecture them right back!

Your big picture is life is too short to voice dissatisfaction. Others' big pictures is life is too short to NOT to speak up and to suffer fools!

Is that too hard to understand?

Like!

I also appreciate chengkp75 sharing his expertise!

I will give my opinion of the Panama Canal in the larger ship - the new canal is smoother, prettier & uses a LOT less visible workers than the old locks but the Bliss has to stop at the cargo pier, not the cruise pier in most (maybe all), so disembarkation was further away from shopping & touristy areas. Puntarenas made me want to go back to Costa Rica - Puerto Caldera made me want to stay on the ship

You're bringing a bass?

How to amplify? Guitarist here, rock, blues, country rock, psychedelic whatever...:cool:

Got to give the OP some credit for 1st post and using the old " bait and Switch" in the title.

Got the attention needed.

It's not a bait and switch , it's an itinerary change that ALL cruiselines will/can do. So Carnival, NCL and all others must not "care" about their customers either.

Yes it is part of the contract MOST people don't read.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of milk with some warm chocolate chip 🍪. Might make one feel better.

The way I read the OP complaint isn't that NCL can't change the ports, we all know they CAN. The complaint lies in the fact that the OP and many others believe that NCL should be more responsible in the manner and frequency of the changes.

Using this as an example. They should have left the original port listed until they were sure that Cabo was viable. By rushing in what could have been one change is now two.

And while any cruise line can change ports for any reason they SHOULD only change them for reasons such as passenger safety. There are many people book due to the ports. If the cruise lines are changing the ports after final payment it shouldn't be for something such as saving fuel or convenience to the company.

The way I read the OP complaint isn't that NCL can't change the ports, we all know they CAN. The complaint lies in the fact that the OP and many others believe that NCL should be more responsible in the manner and frequency of the changes.

Using this as an example. They should have left the original port listed until they were sure that Cabo was viable. By rushing in what could have been one change is now two.

And while any cruise line can change ports for any reason they SHOULD only change them for reasons such as passenger safety. There are many people book due to the ports. If the cruise lines are changing the ports after final payment it shouldn't be for something such as saving fuel or convenience to the company.

Does anyone know why the OP's port was changed and when NCL made the change and how long it took them to notify their passengers?

Fake news. Just because it is on the internet does not make it true.

Ah it is quite the relief to learn that the guest is going to cabo and not ensenada and that there was no berthing issue. That is great news they will love cabo or Porto Vallarta

Erm, Congratulations?

What about the people who actually expect what as advertised?

I am starting to realize that some people only have what they consider to be fun when they are complaining. On cruises, I see people enjoying the entertainment, meals and even the water slide. But until this thread, I never noticed that some people actually enjoy complaining. They are only happy when perceived negative things happen around them and they can drone on and on and on about the small insignificant wrong that happened to them. The elevator is too slow, I have one meal where something was cold, My room moves at night when the ship is moving, it rained, etc. I suspect their cruise enjoyment comes from enjoying the time waiting in line at Customer Service with their fellow complainers.

In fact, I think that marketing opportunity for a cruise line would be to have a ship with 2 customer services. That way, the complainers would have double the opportunity to enjoy their cruise. Think of it as adding a second water slide or go kart track.

Regarding the itinerary change, so what. Something at the previous port changed and NCL replaced it with a comparable site. Maybe it is a safety concern. Maybe financial or other reason. Reality is you have to deal with it by either canceling or going on the cruise knowing you already have a negative event to complain about to everyone one you meet. It is a Win/Win for the OP.

I am starting to realize that some people only have what they consider to be fun when they are complaining. On cruises, I see people enjoying the entertainment, meals and even the water slide. But until this thread, I never noticed that some people actually enjoy complaining. They are only happy when perceived negative things happen around them and they can drone on and on and on about the small insignificant wrong that happened to them. The elevator is too slow, I have one meal where something was cold, My room moves at night when the ship is moving, it rained, etc. I suspect their cruise enjoyment comes from enjoying the time waiting in line at Customer Service with their fellow complainers.

In fact, I think that marketing opportunity for a cruise line would be to have a ship with 2 customer services. That way, the complainers would have double the opportunity to enjoy their cruise. Think of it as adding a second water slide or go kart track.

Regarding the itinerary change, so what. Something at the previous port changed and NCL replaced it with a comparable site. Maybe it is a safety concern. Maybe financial or other reason. Reality is you have to deal with it by either canceling or going on the cruise knowing you already have a negative event to complain about to everyone one you meet. It is a Win/Win for the OP.

Not quite. The marketing opportunity is to market cruises "For Sheep Only".

Then you don't need any Customer Service desks at all, because all the guests will just bend over and shut up.

still don't agree because of the overall attitude more than disappointed in a particular port change. Some people roll with the punches, others don't. I guess that is where we differ. I think I will just let this drop. And, as for not liking negatives about my favorite cruise line, of course you are right, but if you paid attention you would know, I have complained about NCL and some of what they have done more than once.

The whole point here is: what they did and all ships do which experienced cruisers know this is certainly not bait and switch. I think I will leave it at that.

The whole point is if cruise line fails to deliver as advertised in big flashy ads, some paying customers will complain! Hopefully loudly and persistently, on CC, on TripAdviser, on FB and on MANY other sites to let other customers know!

Some follow customers, like me, CHOOSE to see the benefit in negative reviews!

But some here who supposedly have a great attitude and are not complainers and can "roll with the punches" all of sudden CHOOSE to complain!

Guess what? Your attitude is not that great - you only "roll with the punches" selectively, with things that don't bothers you enough. You are no different from the complainers you complain about when it comes to things that do bother you!

And those of you who love to wave cruise contracts FAILS to grasp that cruise contracts may protect the company from legal actions but it most certainly does not protect it from complaints and negative reviews! Go back and read your precious cruise contract and tell me where it says that!

On long sea days sometimes we will sit by the customer service desk and listen to complaints, it is fun and we learn what comp!aints get results as in OBC etc...

Never thought of that. I think we will give it a try on our next cruise. it is sorta like sitting n the atrium and people watching. ;p

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, Bogartpa said:

11/3 repositioning cruise on Bliss............original itinerary had a stop planned for Puerto Vallarta, but about a month ago they changed it to Cabo San Lucas due to a “berthing conflict.” Not a big deal, both nice modern cities. Today, one month before we sail and long after final payment,we were notified via email that due to another berthing conflict Cabo San Lucas has been cancelled and now we are headed to Ensenada Mexico. The ship has not grown, there has been no storm damage to reduce the number of available docks..........how could this happen and how can they get away with it ? Did the cruise sneak up on them ?Could it be that this port is less expensive at which to dock and this is why they have made the changes ? We can not come up with any other explanation, can you ?

They have offered us $100 on board credit which only added salt to the already open wound ! NCL used to care about their customers, especially repeat customers. That too has changed !

There is absolutely nothing at all even close to bait and switch here.  Read your cruise contract, specifically paragraph 6c.  The failure to read a contract on your part does not equate to bait and switch on the part of the other party.

• Thanks 1

OMG 

It's been awhile since " bait and switch" had reared its ugly head!

Sorry peeps, we don't live in a "perfect" world. 

Cruise Lines/Airlines have fine print. Read it or be disappointed if things don't go as expected.

• Thanks 1