Cruise Critic Community
Sky111

Ship Wi-Fi Does it allow peering?

I have technical question hoping someone can help. Wi-Fi networks can be set to isolate users or allow peer to peer connections. I am wondering if anyone has tried a "Walkie Talkie app" with their cellphone to communicate within the ship or at least text someone in your group while on the ship.

I have in the past tried using FRS but they did not penetrate well between levels

Each device will have to have its own login. If it works you won't get notifications of calls or messages.

Each device will have to have its own login. If it works you won't get notifications of calls or messages.

That's not quite right. If both parties have an iPhone you can use the text messaging app while connected to Wifi. I know this for a fact as I've done it. Depending on what type of service you have on your phone you can also make calls on the wifi. You'll definitely get notifications.

Both parties do need to be logged in, so it would require an extra service. .

I have technical question hoping someone can help. Wi-Fi networks can be set to isolate users or allow peer to peer connections. I am wondering if anyone has tried a "Walkie Talkie app" with their cellphone to communicate within the ship or at least text someone in your group while on the ship.

I have in the past tried using FRS but they did not penetrate well between levels

Nope. You'll need two wifi accounts to text using the internet (e.g., iMessage between two iphones).

Wife and my iphones were able to text each other (using imessage) while not logged in on the ship wifi (while at sea). Was very surprised with this.

EDIT: Just remembered we both had wifi accounts on board so I am wrong about this. Never mind.. :)