Priceing for cruises

bobnfl

On roll calls, members will often share info if there is a repricing of the fares, indicating the amount they were able to save as a result. I wont share what i actually paid, but on our upcoming cruise, it now costs, for both of us, less than what an individual fare cost at the time i booked. Yes, i also take into consideration any obc offered as part of the booking, prepaid gratuities, included beverage package, and any change in the price of the insurance as a result of a lower fare.

Is it wrong to ask people what they paid for their cruise so you can find out if you got a descent deal? If so how do you know if you are getting a good deal or paying way too much?

Not a problem for me, only by sharing information can consumers get a fair deal, multinational companies in particular make unfair profits by keeping customers ignorant.

I can tell you an easy way to pay less for your cruise - just wait until the day after I paid and the price will be considerably less.

However many folk are very secretive, I have no idea why...………..

Edited by Griller

and of course, people are always completely honest both on here and in real life as to what they have paid for their cruise...and the free upgrade from a gty inside to the owners suite !!:rolleyes:

as posted before, when you start asking that question, you're just gonna be disappointed

pick your cruise, pay a price you're comfortable with, then keep checking the price for promotions, fare reductions, etc, then call Princess or your TA and make it happen

enjoy:halo:

Is it wrong to ask people what they paid for their cruise so you can find out if you got a descent deal? If so how do you know if you are getting a good deal or paying way too much?

Asking will offend some people. There is really no need. If you find a cruise at a price you are willing to pay, book it. Then continue to monitor the website to see if there have been any price reductions or promotions that would save you money. If so, then have your cruise re-fared.

Other people may have gotten incentives from their travel agent that you cannot get so comparing the cost of their cruise to your cost would be a waste of time.

There are many different factors that go into pricing and what one person pays vs. another: when you booked, where you live, what promotion if any you booked under, Captain’s Circle status, what TA you used, etc. Way too many variables to really figure out whether you got a good deal.

I was recently comparing pricing for a future cruise on another forum. Two of us kept getting different pricing for the exact same cruise and cabin category. Strangely, it differed depending on browser. Turns out I live within five miles of the other person comparing pricing so it was weird.

There’s usually no problem asking fellow passengers whether they were happy with their TA and felt they got a good price. Most will be happy to share that information. Princess USA allows TAs to discount fares so you can almost always get a better deal than booking directly.

Booking when itineraries first become available and sometimes at the last minute will get you the lowest fare. Booking under a promotion can also help.

There are so many variables in pricing that getting a simple dollar quote tells you almost nothing. I may have paid $50 more than you did for the same cabin, but if my booking included gratuities, I got a better deal. Someone else may have paid more than I did, but they got a beverage package--that would be of minimal value to me so I wouldn't be interested in it. And another person may have paid the same as you but got OBC from their TA--again, every bit helps.

You book the best deal you can find and then be happy with it....keep re-checking prices to see if you find something better and re-fare.

I'm reminded of the time that someone on board asked something about cabin or pricing and I said that we'd gotten a nice upgrade. The person responded, "You're only ruby and you got an upgrade?" Yes...I didn't know that upgrades or upsells were supposedly based on cruise numbers. It would be nice for some if they were, but I've never seen that in the fine print.

With quite a few cruises on Princess I do not think I ever get an upgrade based on my cruise history or any lower pricing compared to a newbie.

In fact once I priced a cruise on the Princess website and then put in my log in info - and it went up in price.

Only thing I usually get is an invite sent to my inside gty cabin for the MTP event.

Sometimes you can end up extremely unhappy if you ask people what they paid for their cruise. I know of a cruise currently offered by Princess that started out listing a balcony cabin for $3,549 per person. They raised that price by $500 per person when the Sip and Sail started. Yesterday that same cruise listed a balcony cabin at $4,979 per person. Would you be happy if you asked onboard what someone else paid and discovered they paid $2,860 less than you and your spouse paid? Yes, booking today gets the 3 for Free benefits: $300 (total) OBC and $648 in free gratuities but somehow that $948 in benefits pales in comparison to the difference in pricing.

Book the cruise you want and pay the price you can live with. Don't worry about what someone else paid. (I'm sure I've sailed with folks who got a better "deal" than I got but I've been happy with my own "deal" and don't worry about whether or not I paid more or less than someone else.) Instead of asking what others paid ask (on board - not here!) if they have a good TA and get a discount. Ask multiple people to find out who the TA is that might best fit your needs. Query several TAs by email and see who will give you the best deal on your next cruise.

I have people ask me frequently, as I sail as a single, take long cruises, people are naturally curious, I guess. I answer sometimes depending on the situation, overall vibe of the conversation. Some people seem genuinely shocked at what I pay although it is no secret, singles pay double.

I can understand why some people don't answer, they may be part of a travel agency perk, airline employee perk, and it is nobody's business but that persons. There is no need to be rude answering or not, or overly inquisitive if you are the one asking.

Thrak has it right, good advice. I don't ask, I don't want to know because of what I'm paying, and I also know about deep discounts for travel industry employees.

I've found that prices are nearly always lower than the launch fares if you wait until after final payment to book.

That is often so, if there is still availability, and of course if you aren't picky about exactly what cabin you want.

For example if you need a handicap cabin - best get in early.

I've found that prices are nearly always lower than the launch fares if you wait until after final payment to book.
It all depends. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. There’s almost two years between the two events and a lot can happen during that time.

I can understand why some people don't answer, they may be part of a travel agency perk, airline employee perk, and it is nobody's business but that persons. There is no need to be rude answering or not, or overly inquisitive if you are the one asking.

Sometimes the "perk" price is very good, sometimes its not worth having at all and you would be better off paying fire sale last minute retail and taking the OBC.

Just depends on a case by case basis.

I'd say it's best not to discuss prices. If everyone stood up on a plane and announced what they paid for their seat there would be a a lot of sad people. Do your homework and make the purchase and simply accept it. It's like pricing vehicles after you have made your purchase... All it's going to do is piss you off...

I have no problem with discussing prices with someone who is trying to book or evaluate a cruise. It really is not all that secret. However as pointed out the price depends on when you booked, the cabin category, perks offered, your location etc. Princess like hotels, airplanes and others will move the price around depending on the demand for that particular cruise. If it is not selling well they will drop the price while if it is selling well, the price will go up as the number of cabins available decreases.

Some think it is a state secret and withdraw if you even mention prices paid. To anyone able to negotiate a better price than I paid, I say good for you. It does not diminish my enjoyment of the cruise. So ask away.

I really don’t get this attitude. Would you buy a house without checking neighborhood comps? How about a car? When you go on eBay don’t you look around for a similar product or do you take the first thing you see? How about remodeling?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and of course, people are always completely honest both on here and in real life as to what they have paid for their cruise...and the free upgrade from a gty inside to the owners suite !!:rolleyes:

as posted before, when you start asking that question, you're just gonna be disappointed

pick your cruise, pay a price you're comfortable with, then keep checking the price for promotions, fare reductions, etc, then call Princess or your TA and make it happen

enjoy:halo:

I agree with your comments. To ask what people paid when your are on a cruise, will end up with you or some others being disappointed or upset. It doesn't help. If you can find out before the cruise, maybe you can get a better deal.

Book when you like the price.
A few weeks ago I asked if I could get in on a deal for Californians. They let me. Total price (cruise, air, misc) dropped over 20% but I had to agree to wait list for TD so you can get a price adjustment