"There was a problem processing this transaction. Please contact your card provider."

Roz

I just tried booking HAL's post-cruise Vancouver to Seattle transfer, and I got this message - "There was a problem processing this transaction. Please contact your card provider or use an alternate card." What the heck? There's nothing wrong with the card. I just used it this morning and there's plenty of credit available on it. Do you think it's a card problem or a HAL problem? Before I call AMEX and talk with someone in Karachi, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

Roz

I just tried booking HAL's post-cruise Vancouver to Seattle transfer, and I got this message - "There was a problem processing this transaction. Please contact your card provider or use an alternate card." What the heck? There's nothing wrong with the card. I just used it this morning and there's plenty of credit available on it. Do you think it's a card problem or a HAL problem? Before I called AMEX and talk with someone in Karachi, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

Roz

Call AmEx. The transaction may have been flagged by their fraud detection system. It’s all done by computer, not people. It’s not related to your credit limit, etc.

Call AmEx. The transaction may have been flagged by their fraud detection system. It’s all done by computer, not people. It’s not related to your credit limit, etc.

Good point.

Also, Roz did you try it one more time?

I had the same message on the HAL site and realized that somehow the expiry date of my card had been changed. Not sure if it was because I scrolled down or what, but it did change from what I had selected.

When I corrected it, it took just fine. Just in case it is of help.

We experience this from time to time when using a card for an out of country on line transaction. Happened last week with a on line Australian air fare transaction.

When I contact the card issuer they claim to have no record of the processing refusal.

I suspect it may be an issue with the vendor and their unwillingness to process certain premium cards. This, despite the fact that on most of these on line travel purchases we are also charged a fee for using our credit card. This is just a guess.

I tried again, checked all the entries, and got the same error message. Grrrr......

I'll try another card, but I wanted to use my AMEX to get Hilton points.

Roz

Question of fraud may have been mechnically triggered because the charge is out of the ordinary for you in a distant city.

I tried again, checked all the entries, and got the same error message. Grrrr......

Roz

Not much else you cn do tut to call them

I tried again, checked all the entries, and got the same error message. Grrrr...... I'll try another card, but I wanted to use my AMEX to get Hilton points. Roz
Not much else you can do but to call them

Roz

If you want your Hilton points, go ahead and call AMEX, Roz. It won't take that long and although I have never had a card flagged when buying on the HAL website, that could well be the case.

Good luck and sorry you are having an issue.

You likely put in the wrong expiration date or made an error with the CVV code (on AMEX its a 4 digit number on the front of the card). Try again and if it rejects just call AMEX. They have excellent phone customer service and their staff is not in Karachi :).

Hank

So...I just tried purchasing the transfer using my notebook instead of my laptop, and using a different browser. I got the same error msg about my credit card. What the heck?

How does a company stay in business when they make it so difficult to make a simple purchase. I dread doing my online check-in. This doesn't bode well.

Roz

I had a major credit card declined on Friday. The bank’s computer system had gone down so I figured that was it. But it turned out that the VISA flight rewards card had been flagged by the bank as fraught as I was paying for a hotel in Paris.

Everything was automated. Quite frustrating.

It is NOT A CARD PROBLEM, BUT A HAL PROBLEM!

I have had the same problem three times and only when trying to book a transfer on-line with HAL. I have both Amex and Mastercard, both I use on other purchases with HAL without any problem, also when doing automated on-line transactions for tours, packages and including final payments.

For some reason the problem lies with booking a transfer ans it lies with HAL. In three occasions I called them, solving the issue by adding the amount for the transfer to the cruise fare, saying they would look into the issue with the credit card, but they still have not fixed it!

Call HAL on Monday.

I called them on the same problem, three times, on three different cruises over a period of I think 1 - 1,5 year, I managed to secure the transfer by telephone, the required payment was added to the amount for payment for the entire cruise, in all of the 3 problems they helped; yes, but did it fix the problem, no, it still exists, however they are able to help you out, so you are able to secure your transfer.

• Like 1

It is NOT A CARD PROBLEM, BUT A HAL PROBLEM!

I have had the same problem three times and only when trying to book a transfer on-line with HAL. I have both Amex and Mastercard, both I use on other purchases with HAL without any problem, also when doing automated on-line transactions for tours, packages and including final payments.

For some reason the problem lies with booking a transfer ans it lies with HAL. In three occasions I called them, solving the issue by adding the amount for the transfer to the cruise fare, saying they would look into the issue with the credit card, but they still have not fixed it!

Thank you, Alphen. Glad to hear it most likely isn't an issue with my card. I may contact my TA and have the transfer added to the cruise, and just purchase it with my final payment.

We, the paying customers, shouldn't have to go through all this.

Roz

How have you not called Amex yet? If the transaction is getting kicked by the Amex fraud detection system, the rep will see it when looking at your account. If not, you'll at least have something to go on if you call HAL.

No, I haven't called AMEX yet. I just did my online check-in for 2 HAL cruises, and it accepted my AMEX both times. Very strange.

They aren't actually charging the card when you put it down for check-in purposes, so it's not strange at all.