Liberty of the Seas – how many go formal on formal nights?

HBE4

Hi,

First time poster, long time stalker (i.e. unregistered user).

Just a simple question: How many (what %) of passengers get dressed up on formal night? My definition of "dressed up" is suit & tie for men, a nice dress for ladies i.e. dressed like you are going to a wedding but not IN the wedding.

I’ve been in 8 RCI cruises over the past 10 years and noticed that the percentage of people getting dressed up tends to vary with the ship & itinerary from a high of about 80%+ to about 50% on my last cruise in April on Oasis.

I don’t mind getting dressed up 1 or 2 nights a week but from what I’ve read, cruising out of Texas tends to be more casual than Florida or New York. This will be my first cruise out of Galveston so I’m looking forward to advice from recent LOS cruisers.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I apologize in advance for yet another dress code question. I do not wish to start a vigorous debate between the pro-formal vs anti-formal factions, I do know of Royals “suggested” dress attire on formal nights, I also know that it’s not enforced, that it is my vacation and I can dress how I want, that I will see all manners of clothing and it will not affect the taste of the food or bring about world peace. ;)

We've only cruised out of Galveston since 2006 and there has definitely been a decline in "dressing up" on formal nights. I'd say (from my experience) about 40% of the people dress up in suit/tie and formal dresses now. However, I'd say another 30% wear dress slacks/dress shirts for men and resort dresses for women. The remaining 30% run the gamut, with the majority wearing nice jeans or khakis and dress or polo shirt for men and skirt or capris with a nice top for women. I've seen very few attempt shorts and, for the most part, have seen most people try to look presentable. On nights other than formal nights, the range is wider, with the formal wear giving way to the khakis/polo shirt for men and skirts or capris/nice top for women.

We really enjoy dressing up, and my husband always brings a suit. There have been times he's worn his tie without the jacket, depending on the "mood" of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise! We're looking forward to our next one on Liberty in January. :D

Thanks! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I'm generally a go-with-the-flow type of guy and follow the suggestions. From some of the other dress code threads, I was beginning to wonder if I'd be the only guy wearing a suit /tie surrounded by people in gym clothes or robes & fuzzy slippers. :D Although I usually take the tie and/or jacket off after dinner.

Non-formal nights, its always khakis & polo shirts. I did try dress shorts once but it was on a Tropical/Caribbean theme night so it went well with my Hawaiian shirt.

Since we are flying on Southwest, we can check 2 bags for FREE so I'll make sure to pack the suit. Bonus: closer to the airport since its Hobby. 5 more weeks to go!

On any cruise I use to rent a tux. I liked to get dressed up and made for nice pictures. Don’t do it so often anymore but still wear a suit, seems like it’s a special vacation and a couple of nights of dress up are nice. I did wear a suit for work for many years so I like doing it one in awhile and again leaves nice pictures for the kids someday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did liberty last April with GF. We dressed nice, heels

Sparkles. But we didn’t get crazy. It’s a lovely ship and I’m celebrating my 70th next May 5. Celebrating May 4 as were debarked

May 5.

Can’t wait as we know where everything is. At our age once you know where it is you don’t have to feel yourself along. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We gave up tuxedos 6 cruises ago, dh wears khakis and a button-down, no tie or jacket and I wear a nice dress (not even semi-formal)

We were on Liberty in May, and will be on her again in November. This is the exact clothing we wore, and will wear again, and never felt either under- or overdressed.

Pat

My wife and I always dress for the formal nights. I wear my tux, and she her "ladies stuff". But we are old fashion I guess. Because I will typically wear my suit on any dining night, so a tux is a bump from that on formal night. We look like beach bums during most of the trip, so it is a nice change.

Frankly, I don't really care who thinks what. As many people say on here, this is MY vacation and I will dress up if I want.

It isn't a snob thing either. I like to look special for my wife and to give ourselves a special time together. We rarely get to enjoy an atmosphere that is specifically made for such a time.

• Like 2

One thing to note - many people will change clothes after dinner. We've done it ourselves.

I started doing the same myself. At a minimum, take the tie off and maybe return the jacket to the room. It depends on what is going on that night. If it's Quest or I'll be sweating in the night club trying to pretend I can dance, then i may go full casual.

My wife and I dress up, but we drive so it is convenient to take lots of clothes (luggage and garment bags). If we were flying I'm not sure I would pack a suit.

I'll be flying and you're right, suits & shoes take up a lot of room. But I can check 2 bags for free via Southwest so it's not an issue.

It isn't a snob thing either. I like to look special for my wife and to give ourselves a special time together. We rarely get to enjoy an atmosphere that is specifically made for such a time.

I agree. I basically only wear a suit for weddings & funerals. Never get dressed up at home when going out. So when on a cruise and its suggested......

Plus, IMHO, the MDR in Liberty is so gorgeous, it makes me want to dress nicer.

This past August I would say the majority of the people I saw were dressed very nice. At least 75%

That is a pretty high percentage, based on my recent cruises. I know someone else mentioned 80%.

Thanks again to everyone that responded!

I just got off the Liberty yesterday (my 5th ride on it). I’m not a coat and tie person but always wear dress slacks and a nice dress shirt to formal nights. On this recent cruise there was a high percentage of people dressed in formal attire and I was surprised at the very few who came casual. I think the time of year has an effect also. In the summer months with lots of younger families with kids, I think the percentage of formal dressers is less.

This time of year the crowd seemed to be older and and more maturely dressed.

Either way, wear what you want and enjoy the cruise.

That is a pretty high percentage, based on my recent cruises. I know someone else mentioned 80%.

Thanks again to everyone that responded!

it is and since we cruised when school had already started, as HicksRa said, very few kids so most adults dressed up

it is and since we cruised when school had already started, as HicksRa said, very few kids so most adults dressed up

Thanks. It never even occurred to me about the timing of the cruise. I'll be on her in Nov so I expect the percentage to be on the higher side.