I Said Yes! My Jewel of the Seas Greek Isles travel blog

singinalot

Firstly Congratulations on your engagement 💍 and secondly thanks for your review and photos. We were on this ship many years ago and loved it. We are on Independence of the seas this June and are looking forward to it. Mind you we haven’t cruised with RCI since 2011. We usually cruise with Celebrity and Oceania so Indy will be very different. 😬

I’m glad you enjoyed your Eastern Med cruise. I love Rome, Santorini and Malta. Malta is a love or hate Country. As we’ve holidayed and cruised there many times I’m guessing we love Malta.

as for the ‘lady’ begging in the street who you thought was praying she wasn’t. These women kneel like that every day for 10 hours or more. If she doesn’t bring enough money to hubby, who is usually waiting for her in his Mercedes car, he sends her back to beg again.  🙄  Sad life for her really. 😢 you will find women like her begging in many European countries. 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that I have referred to Maurizio in Rome... he emailed me last night and is no longer providing shuttle service, but has offered the name of a referral: www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com

I know nothing about them so will have to do my research for the October trip this year.

11 minutes ago, singinalot said:

For anyone that I have referred to Maurizio in Rome... he emailed me last night and is no longer providing shuttle service, but has offered the name of a referral: www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com

I know nothing about them so will have to do my research for the October trip this year.

Jumping in here...

our group of 12 is doing JOTS next month (wow...booked 18 months ago and it's almost here).  We will be using Civitavecchia Shuttle Express.  Our biggest challenge was finding a service that could get us and all of our luggage (not one light packer in the entire group) to the port from our hotel near Piazza Navona.  Since our group is based in different states, we've been making our arrangements separately.  I was able to coordinate with CSE to keep us together in a vehicle big enough for all of us.  They were extremely easy to work with and answered e-mails quickly.  Total for the group of 12 was 180 euros which we have pre-paid.

Hope that helps!

Susan

4 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Jumping in here...

our group of 12 is doing JOTS next month (wow...booked 18 months ago and it's almost here).  We will be using Civitavecchia Shuttle Express.  Our biggest challenge was finding a service that could get us and all of our luggage (not one light packer in the entire group) to the port from our hotel near Piazza Navona.  Since our group is based in different states, we've been making our arrangements separately.  I was able to coordinate with CSE to keep us together in a vehicle big enough for all of us.  They were extremely easy to work with and answered e-mails quickly.  Total for the group of 12 was 180 euros which we have pre-paid.

Hope that helps!

Susan

Fantastic!  Thanks for sharing! That gives me hope. I have emailed them for a quote for our 4 transfers. airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to hotel, hotel to airport. fingers crossed!

Since we are arriving in Rome from different cities at different times (all on the same day), we are all using different companies to get to the hotel.  And at the end of the trip, a few of us are going straight back to the airport using RCCL's shuttle...the bulk of the group is extending their visit visiting different parts of Italy.

This is why I love Cruise Critic...you can always learn something!

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PtownGirlz-NH said:

What a fabulous review!  We are going on the rhapsody Greek isles in May.  I would LOVE to see your spreadsheet.   Wannawin3@aol.com

congratulations   The proposal was phenomenal! 

Thanks again for for all your hard work. 

Lucie

thank you so much! I just sent the email and links. Have a wonderful time!

On 9/30/2018 at 2:10 PM, singinalot said:

EMBARKATION DAY

as I stated in the last post we woke up at 9:30, showered and re-packed. We checked out of the hotel, laying the required city tax in cash, and then waited outside for Maurizio. A group of ladies sitting across the courtyard were also waiting on transport to Civi but to another cruiseline...I can’t remember which.

Maurizio showed up on time and carrying 3 other couples in the van all headed to the Jewel. We introduced ourselves and chatted during the 1 hour drive. They were all from Utah and it was a first cruise for a couple of them. I told them they’d now be spoiled for all future cruises!

Maurizio seems to have playlists for his drives and sang a majority of the way there. Thank god the highway was mostly open traffic. He is very skilled at driving in Italy and somehow managed not to hit any of the cars he was speedily passing. I don’t want to discourage anyone from using his service at all! He was very communicative and obviously the price was right for us.

d5969f6594f2a4c7aa94de7b1ca184c1.jpg

Here he is playing the air guitar for us c157c05c52989dfa76906a2c5757f023.jpg

We arrived at port and pretty much walked straight onto the ship. I had preprinted our luggage tags and already had them on the bags in plastic holders ready to go.

This was by far our fastest on boarding ever. Straight to the counter for our sail pass cards (on the back of them were taped our individual WiFi passwords which I had prepaid for when I saw a huge deal pop up) and then straight from there onto the ship. No waiting at all!

830dca0e382c8d213c5c642ef0002703.jpg057cb349b4b56dda16bf20e98a688a44.jpg

Where did you find WIFI deals??  I know that we pay a lot for data in our Canadian plans, but the ship prices are Exorbitant!  

13 minutes ago, TO_HockeyMum said:

Where did you find WIFI deals??  I know that we pay a lot for data in our Canadian plans, but the ship prices are Exorbitant!  

i watched daily in Cruise Planner for it to go on sale. When it was at a price i felt comfortable with I bought it. I have purchased the surf & stream for our next cruise thought because i don’t think the regular surf was fast enough and we weren’t able to upload to social media very well

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 4:09 PM, singinalot said:

a176cb0f20ce5c21c9a971aaa905e3b0.jpg

d42e5c78ab442b00bb1f7ff5cc56fb05.jpg

e209442d8d8f69084919a2f6ad511f96.jpg

894f0f23554426b17797b556736bf384.jpg

I had 3 glasses of wine and he had 3 beers all at 8euro each plus the pizzas total bill was about 90euro I think but SO worth it. We sat there about 2.5 hours

db7f36ee6e5b22bec4222603d426f035.jpg

113b83502f5a2cd13c561c68bbe61735.jpg

We've eaten there every time in Rome.  Great food and can't match the view!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, singinalot said:

i watched daily in Cruise Planner for it to go on sale. When it was at a price i felt comfortable with I bought it. I have purchased the surf & stream for our next cruise thought because i don’t think the regular surf was fast enough and we weren’t able to upload to social media very well

Right now it's showing $20 CDN per day per person!  Crazy!  The regular is at $17.50 (still wow).

On 4/10/2019 at 5:14 AM, singinalot said:

I’m pretty sure the company he recommended is the one we used as a shared shuttle service from the ship to the airport. If so, they were wonderful...clean, comfy, newer minivan, accepted CCs upon arrival at destination, on time, and professional service.

1 minute ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I’m pretty sure the company he recommended is the one we used as a shared shuttle service from the ship to the airport. If so, they were wonderful...clean, comfy, newer minivan, accepted CCs upon arrival at destination, on time, and professional service.

awesome! good to hear. A friend took the referral and booked them for her cruise in june and I booked for ours coming up in October. I actually saved 70euro from what I was going to pay with Maurizio too

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:07 PM, TO_HockeyMum said:

We've eaten there every time in Rome.  Great food and can't match the view!

I might have missed the name, but what is the name of the place?  Food and wine and views look GREAT!!

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

fantastic!

I hope that you'll come back after your trip and leave a trip report on the forum 🙂

I will definitely do a trip report once I get back.  And might try a semi-live report while on trip.

Last trip I did a travel blog as we went so our parents could keep up with us - momma was

very nervous about both her baby daughters being in Europe at the same time.  Lol...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

I will definitely do a trip report once I get back.  And might try a semi-live report while on trip.

Last trip I did a travel blog as we went so our parents could keep up with us - momma was

very nervous about both her baby daughters being in Europe at the same time.  Lol...

yay! will be looking forward to following along!

• Like 1

Many congrats on the engagement and glad to read that your wedding plans are coming along.  And thanks for the articulate review - what a pleasure to read!! 

My wife and I will be joining you on the October 3rd Jewel sailing.  A couple of questions for you though:

Where did you have the best pizza?

How was the weather in Santorini and Mykonos?  Do you think it was (or will be in October) warm enough for some beach and water time?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, Hoopster95 said:

This photo is absolutely and totally awesome! I suspect this memory (let alone the proposal!) will last longer than any "ship related" memory in the years to come. Being there live in person is so outrageously incredible compared to seeing pictures... people don't realize it until they're actually standing right there.

Thank you for the great review and once again CONGRATS!!!

p.s. I wish you two were sailing Ovation next year in May instead of Bliss in Sept 😉

Claudio, when do you leave on your Ovation cruise?  Happy sailing and can't wait to hear about it when you're back!

48 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Many congrats on the engagement and glad to read that your wedding plans are coming along.  And thanks for the articulate review - what a pleasure to read!! 

My wife and I will be joining you on the October 3rd Jewel sailing.  A couple of questions for you though:

Where did you have the best pizza?

How was the weather in Santorini and Mykonos?  Do you think it was (or will be in October) warm enough for some beach and water time?

I think Rome had the best pizza by far.  Both at the place we ate our engagement night and that final night.  The pizza in Naples was surprisingly disappointing.

Hmmm I'm not sure about swimming...it was so windy in both places and that was mid-september so now with us going two weeks later I'm just not sure...but I visit to walk on the beach?  that sounds wonderful! In Mykonos just walking around there are a couple beaches to do that.