Looking for some help... active duty military under 21

DesmantheGr8

Hi, so a buddy and myself (both under 21 but active duty military) are looking to take a cruise over the holiday season, it cheaper than going home for either of us.

but we are having trouble finding one that would fit what we are looking to do while on the cruise.

I did see that carnival will let us book without us being 21, but we are not sure about the drinking policies with the cruiseliner.

If you know any cruises that will let active duty military book and that also have drinking either in ports or on ship for us that would help us a lot thanks.

Most ports in the Caribbean have a drinking age of 18 or 19, so you and your friend won't have a problem getting a drink on shore.

The ship doesn't care if you drink on land. It is ships policy about being 21 not a law. So unless you are totally drunk you won't have any problem getting back on the ship.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

no exceptions are made to the drinking age on board. you can drink in most Caribbean ports.

I am surprised Carnival permits an exception to the minimum booking age for military, considering their policy is the most restrictive when it comes to that.. there must be someone 25 or older in the cabin if anyone under 21 is in it.

You and your friend will be able to enjoy some drinks when you are in the ports.

My only warning is that remember that you are an ambassador of the United States and that your conduct is representative of you, your family, the Armed Services you represent, your brothers and sisters in arms and those who have come before you. Keep us proud.

I speak from experience.

Also, on almost every cruise I've been on, there has been a senior enlisted or senior officer on board with their family enjoying some time off. Didn't notice them until formal night in their Class A uniform.

Having said all that,, enjoy yourselves, have a great time, be safe, (if the cruise goes to Mexico, ensure you have notified your chain of command), and Thank You.

no exceptions are made to the drinking age on board. you can drink in most Caribbean ports.

I am surprised Carnival permits an exception to the minimum booking age for military, considering their policy is the most restrictive when it comes to that.. there must be someone 25 or older in the cabin if anyone under 21 is in it.

The cruise lines establish a minimum age to avoid dealing with the immaturity of folks under 25, but anyone voluntarily exposing themselves to making the ultimate sacrifice for our country have already established their suitability to be cruise passengers.

The cruise lines establish a minimum age to avoid dealing with the immaturity of folks under 25, but anyone voluntarily exposing themselves to making the ultimate sacrifice for our country have already established their suitability to be cruise passengers.

yeah. not so much. 7th Fleet over the past 5 years alone. and yes, drugs and alcohol were involved in most of the incidents.

I believe most of the US based mainstream mega ship lines require passengers to be at least 21, unless they are accompanied by a person > 25. These lines, although not US Flag and also when in International Waters, enforce the US drinking age of 21.

My suggestion is to visit a Travel Agent and look for cruises on a European Line. P&O - UK and Cunard accepts passengers over 18 and also enforces the more reasonable UK drinking standards, which are 18. MSC, although they are also 18, adhere to US standards. A TA may be able to recommend other UK brands.

While both P&O and Cunard are a little more formal than the US based companies, you will at least be able to enjoy a cruise and a few refreshments. Not sure about Cunard, but P&O should have some ships in the Caribbean.

Be safe and thank you for your service.

Hi, so a buddy and myself (both under 21 but active duty military) are looking to take a cruise over the holiday season, it cheaper than going home for either of us.

but we are having trouble finding one that would fit what we are looking to do while on the cruise.

I did see that carnival will let us book without us being 21, but we are not sure about the drinking policies with the cruiseliner.

If you know any cruises that will let active duty military book and that also have drinking either in ports or on ship for us that would help us a lot thanks.

Have you thought of P&O UK they do the Caribbean and around the world. A special poamericas.com site shows their cruises. The legal age for booking and drinking is 18+. This age is raised in ports under US control but the itineraries tend to call elsewhere a lot of the time. Another new thing to many is formal nights which are well followed but you may wear dress suits if you do not have a tuxedo alternative being dark business suit.

Regards John